Anybody Building Larger Grows In Michigan?

• Thread starter OlgaStruthio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OlgaStruthio

OlgaStruthio

Is anyone moving forward with larger grows in Michigan? Not rumors or "hey, Thera-Cann is moving in to take over" -- are any other small growers stepping up? None of the other small growers I know are entering the new game, they are scared off by the regulations, permit costs, and open-door inspections.

I've had a 72 plant legal grow in Michigan for years. It's been a fun hobby and small business, but now we need to figure out the future game of the regulated 500 to 1500 plant grows under Michigan's new laws. I'm on the fence, but probably moving forward if I find an appropriate legally zoned location, and if I really think wholesale prices will stay over $1000 / pound.

I recently attended a seminar put on for the benefit of local government, to help them plan out new ordinances and regulations. This is an area of woods, small towns and villages, mostly conservative people. There were about 100 people there, 98 local government representatives and 2 growers. There was a HUGE amount of uncertainty and confusion about how townships should proceed with regulations. The local government people were happy to talk to me, and curious about how my end of the business worked. For the most part they could tolerate the grows, processors, and laboratories, but few townships wanted to see more retail storefronts.

The disarray, lack of preparation, and lack of clear direction and purpose was very evident. It seemed unlikely that most of these local governments will be ready with regulations and zoning by this December.

Anyway, that's what it looks like up north. What have you found?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Good luck

Hope your pockets are super super deep, I'm talking MILLIONS of cash dollars and investors. If not, stay where your at. I may change my game.up.and go the concentrate route.

OlgaStruthio

OlgaStruthio

This sounds to me like giving up before the fight has even started. Sure, the cards are stacked against us, but I don't think we've lost yet.

The largest grow proposal I've heard of around here is Thera-cann's pitch involving 20 licensed growers under their roof, 100 employees, a $20M project. I think good hard-working growers can likely compete with that facility on both price and quality, unless Thera-Cann is planning a very low return on their investment.

I own and operate another small business also. It's not tiny, not huge, grossing somewhere in the 6 figure range. We compete with nationwide brands that dominate our local landscape, Companies 10,000 times our size taking up 80% of the business. Still, we do well, with the business profitable and growing every year. It may be surprising, but plenty of people intentionally frequent non-franchise owner-operated businesses. Many people we meet do this out of just the anti-big-business attitudes you guys righteously display. The Internet and online reviews have leveled the playing field, so these customers can find us even with our non-existent advertising budget. This smells like opportunity to me.

The biggest things that worry me are:
  • Evil politicians kill the whole above-ground industry
  • Outdoor grows overwhelm the market
  • Prices for quality bud fall below $1000/pound, or below maybe $15/g for extracts
  • The State of Michigan does something stupid developing the regulations
Yeah, some of those are distinct possibilities....

kushdaking

kushdaking

This sounds to me like giving up before the fight has even started. Sure, the cards are stacked against us, but I don't think we've lost yet.

The largest grow proposal I've heard of around here is Thera-cann's pitch involving 20 licensed growers under their roof, 100 employees, a $20M project. I think good hard-working growers can likely compete with that facility on both price and quality, unless Thera-Cann is planning a very low return on their investment.

I own and operate another small business also. It's not tiny, not huge, grossing somewhere in the 6 figure range. We compete with nationwide brands that dominate our local landscape, Companies 10,000 times our size taking up 80% of the business. Still, we do well, with the business profitable and growing every year. It may be surprising, but plenty of people intentionally frequent non-franchise owner-operated businesses. Many people we meet do this out of just the anti-big-business attitudes you guys righteously display. The Internet and online reviews have leveled the playing field, so these customers can find us even with our non-existent advertising budget. This smells like opportunity to me.

The biggest things that worry me are:
  • Evil politicians kill the whole above-ground industry
  • Outdoor grows overwhelm the market
  • Prices for quality bud fall below $1000/pound, or below maybe $15/g for extracts
  • The State of Michigan does something stupid developing the regulations
Yeah, some of those are distinct possibilities....
If the rec law passes there granting small businesses 150 plant licenses

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

3 of my warehouse guys have now sold their operations. With the "New rec legal" bullshit! Going around, their getting out now before the market takes a dive to the shitter. Be prepared to have home grows become illegal, and big biz take over.

DOW plant is going to be turned into a MAJOR I door grow up. Already in the works and building is paid for.

R

rascali

"If the rec law passes there granting small businesses 150 plant licenses"

and this is what every grower has been dreaming about for years, the mythical small vineyard paradigm. the way legalization has proceeded across the country it seemed to fade further and further from possibility... and then this.

pray to your gods, pray hard folks.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I'll takes small biz licence for xx$ please. And a processor one to boot. Better start selling a kidney now on Craigslist. Lol

kushdaking

kushdaking

3 of my warehouse guys have now sold their operations. With the "New rec legal" bullshit! Going around, their getting out now before the market takes a dive to the shitter. Be prepared to have home grows become illegal, and big biz take over.

DOW plant is going to be turned into a MAJOR I door grow up. Already in the works and building is paid for.
It's a possibility. Not concrete and what your not understanding is these huge ops won't tarnish our market for atleast 18 months. You think these are gonna go up with no hiccups and be producing quality meds for dirt cheap in 6 months?? Colorado took 3 years to effect that home growers and they've had collectives for a long ass time

Juicebox

Juicebox

I watched a episode of of that show on vice where they boot legal grows and dispensary doors in and just take all your assets .....including homes cars kids toys literally everything.....has the situation improved any?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have more than just flowering under my belt. Processing distillate (in the very near future), processing harvests for growers , cloning, making meds, etc.

Look out for a pm from me soon bud. I am very interested in your near future plans.

And I realize the work you have put in man. One look at your Grow room shows the top tier of professional growing in my opinion. I am sure you have very loyal patients and very jealous competition.

That is why some of us will always be just fine regardless of politics and law.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I watched a episode of of that show on vice where they boot legal grows and dispensary doors in and just take all your assets .....including homes cars kids toys literally everything.....has the situation improved any?

Unfortunately when they have an agenda they do whatever they want. They always will.

Stay far under the radar is my permanent advice on this issue.

Top Bottom