Anybody familiar with Grand Master LED’s?

• Thread starter Rama777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rama777

Rama777

Yo! I was offered a great deal on an HLG 650r but I’m thinking I should get a bar style light for distance to canopy purposes since I grow in a tent..

I’m trying to decide between a Mars Hydro FC4800 and a Grand Master Tarantula Torch 480. Specs are somewhat similar. I think GM is probably a newish company. They’re out of Canada and will probably have better customer service and warranty, though I believe ultimately the lights are built in China.

The MH light has equal red to blue in the spectrum and no far red. The GM light is more red heavy and has some far red in the spectrum.

Anybody have any experience with Grand Master? Also open to other suggestions. I think the ACI EVO6 would be an option as well..

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Depends on what your using it for just flowering, just veg or veg and flower.

I dunno about mars hydro it’s either then or spider farmer I read weren’t build as well I can’t remember witch it was in a discussion about lights I read but didn’t get involved in as I’ve no experience with either.

I would also think the opposite new company , less lightly to get good customer service as the bigger companies live or die by reputation and a newer one a unknown also Chinese electric’s always scare me.

I know many have no problems with Chinese lights however after a few doggie Chinese electric items one blowing up I tend to not trust them no more.

If your using it for veg and flowering then one with a more even spectrum makes more sense.

I use lumteck lights not a big massive like mars or spider farmer name but are known I like them quite a bit but haven’t got massive experience with led

I grew up with street lamps lol opps ever walked down a street and wonder why the lights didn’t work ; probably a grower had them 🤣 and mainly used hids leds are still quite new to me tbh

Rama777

Rama777

Well, one cool thing about grand master is that Migro recently reviewed his flagship light and recorded the “most even coverage in the world!” That’s not the one I would get but it is a good sign. You are right that the company could just disappear.. That is certainly a risk.

It would be just for flowering. I’m finding it very difficult to make a decision and pull the trigger on any one light! I found someone on Facebook that is using the same light that I’m eyeing and he loves it. In fact he prefers it to HLG which he has also used. Still can’t decide though..

From watching lots of Dr. Bugbee videos, I am skeptical that adding far red LEDs is beneficial, but that doesn’t mean the light will suck.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
From watching lots of Dr. Bugbee videos, I am skeptical that adding far red LEDs is beneficial, but that doesn’t mean the light will suck.
I also tend to be skeptical about the benefits. It's not that I think there aren't any. My skepticism arises when I think about marginal differences. In other words, is a few grams more yield worth many dollars more cost? The answer for me often is no, it isn't. Even so, I can still be drawn toward advancing technologies and chasing the next big thing. I just began a run with a new light that works with my controller, so I can adjust the light with the phone app from anywhere. I'm also curious about its capability to do dawn and dusk transitions. So, I suppose I too am attracted to advancing growing technologies.

Rama777

Rama777

I think I recall Bugbee claiming there was no benefit to the dusk/dawn transitions, only drawbacks, but don't quote me on that. Also, I don't take everything he says as 100% gospel but I do tend to trust his word on lighting over most people's. Having control over spectrum would be the coolest feature!

The most logical use for far red that I've seen is in the very beginning stages of vegetative growth, and perhaps then again in the last two weeks of flowering.

I dropped Mars Hydro as an option due to the fact that they have worthless customer support. Right now it's between Grand Master, AC Infinity, HLG and Vivarspectra. The first 3 are all 550 dollars or so. The Vivarspectra is only 300 dollars but seems to have a weird spectrum and the other options are all more powerful as well.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I think I recall Bugbee claiming there was no benefit to the dusk/dawn transitions, only drawbacks, but don't quote me on that.
Ah, well, that wasn't the only reason I bought the light. It's just a curiosity for me. Currently, the transition is set to 30 minutes, which probably won't have much of an effect. It's part of an on-going interest I have in managing plant stressors. I'm not mentioning it much because the pursuit could indeed be futile. It's only that curiosity is one of my driving motivations for growing these wonderful plants. I can say, so far, that the plant growing under this light looks happy.

Northerncannigirl

Northerncannigirl

Yo! I was offered a great deal on an HLG 650r but I’m thinking I should get a bar style light for distance to canopy purposes since I grow in a tent..

I’m trying to decide between a Mars Hydro FC4800 and a Grand Master Tarantula Torch 480. Specs are somewhat similar. I think GM is probably a newish company. They’re out of Canada and will probably have better customer service and warranty, though I believe ultimately the lights are built in China.

The MH light has equal red to blue in the spectrum and no far red. The GM light is more red heavy and has some far red in the spectrum.

Anybody have any experience with Grand Master? Also open to other suggestions. I think the ACI EVO6 would be an option as well..
I have ran many HLG lights and they are actually really nice lights! I have the Mars fc4800 and it's nothing to call home to mom about! GrandMaster led has some of the absolute best lights ever made! Most even ppfd across the canopy! They are set out to make sure they make the best light in the market every single light they make! I would 100% get the GrandMaster light! Use code Amanda and you'll save 10%! You won't be disappointed if you end up going with GML! Also, I seen you mention customer service! Their customer service is top notch! Again, their goal is to be the absolute best led light company on the market and customer service is a huge part if that! They will make sure any questions are answered and any issues are resolved!

Top Bottom