Anybody from Ireland or the UK? Need some help!

• Thread starter irishboiii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
irishboiii

irishboiii

Hey everybody, Im hoping to find somebody from Ireland to answer a quick question. Somebody from the UK could answer it either and give me a fair idea.

My question is this:

How much will my electricity bill go up every month running a 600w HPS on 18/6?

Iv tried finding out by calculating the kwh with the electricity companies, but cant find a definate price!

So Im basically hoping someone from Ireland who has done this can help me out. Someone from the UK could give me a fair idea, but an Irishman/woman could give me a definate answer.

Thanks guys

sky high

sky high

Can't speak to Ireland....but here in the US @ the 9 cents per KWH I pay that 600 would raise your power bill about 40-50 bucks per month.....less than the cost to run a space heater....A/C...etc.

How much is power in Ireland? Are they really THAT strict they'd notice such a small jump in usage?

good luck

soserthc1

soserthc1

Can't speak to Ireland....but here in the US @ the 9 cents per KWH I pay that 600 would raise your power bill about 40-50 bucks per month.....less than the cost to run a space heater....A/C...etc.

How much is power in Ireland? Are they really THAT strict they'd notice such a small jump in usage?

good luck

Yes that is a fair estimate as when i started running it was a 400 watt - 6t'5 and a 250 watt hps and about a extra 75 bucks .... something that small will not be noticed in the us...curious as to the stance/punishment of growing in Ireland ?

irishboiii

irishboiii

Well its the cost I was thinking of as Im on a tight budget, and I think electricity here costs much, much more than the US. I think iv heard someone say before that a 600w HPS put an extra couple of hundred euro on their bill every month. Which is a lot!

As for the company noticing the spikes, Ireland is a small country, and im from a small town, so yes that would also be a concern. However with laptops and gaming systems using almost similar amounts of electricity these days, id guess it wouldnt be as much of a wory?

irishboiii

irishboiii

As for crime and punishment, iv heard of guys growing insane amounts of bud and walking away without any jail time.

It seems you could grow pounds of it and get a slap on the wrist, but if I walked down the street with an ounce or two and got caught id get in worse trouble.

The justice system here is a joke lol

soserthc1

soserthc1

Well i will say you can't jump into this game cheap but you will have a much larger return than anything put out .... the saying goes you need money to make money ...... food for thought ...

growing for yourself would be ok to go cheap but then you need to decide if the risk and the extra cash will be easier than just buying your head stash , i'm not familiar with ireland electric bills but a few 100 sounds real steep for 600 watt light imho.....

good luck

irishboiii

irishboiii

Oh im prepared to spend money, but id just like to know in advance how much cash id need to have on hand for electricity.

The last thing id need would be a bill way larger than expected, and failure to pay would draw attention on my situation.

I want to have everything in order before I start.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Also, bear in mind that the euro is worth more than the dollar, so a few hundred euro would be a lot more in dollars! We get ripped off with electricity over here lol

budboy299

budboy299

I searched Ireland electricity rates....
for the second half of 2012 it was 27.86 c/kwh according to the charts which include taxes

Now the conversion rate today is 1.36 to 1 US. So 37.89 c/kwh US

By my simple math skills it seems like it costs roughly 4 times the price in ireland as the US so around 160-200 US per month. BUT you can easily pull at least a pound per light.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thank you very, very much budboy! Even though its bad news, at least now I know.

Better put my car up for sale then! No way il be able to run a car while paying hundreds on electricity.

budboy299

budboy299

YW irishboiii but remember this was came to by an internet search...and you know how reliable that can be at times. T5 veg for now then 600 to bud....still should get at least a pound if done right and then the next grows will be far easier on the wallet

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks mate. Whats T5 Veg btw? Il have to google that.

I was just at a friends and we found an officiall price for 600w @ 18/6, it showed up as only costing an extra €115 for TWO months! Although that sounds too good to be true, il still be prepared for your estimate just in case!

Btw budboy, I dont suppose youd know of any easy DIY Tent/Grow area threads or videos? Its only for 1 plant DWC style.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

I'm over in the UK and I'm using 1 x 600MH on 18/6 and will be adding another 600MH.

Then 2 x 600 HPS.

Puts my bill up by around 80 quid a month, but I am running fans, vents and filters.

Better that I'm in a family sized home..

T5 are the longer flourescent lights that are used mostly early on in Veg and way cheaper to run. I've gone straight to one of my two 600 MH's from seed.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Il be running fans, vents and filters too. Found out recently that it will put my bill up 115euro every 2 months just the lamp alone, which actually isnt bad tbh.

Im a bit confused regarding the whole fan, vents and filters thing though as in Im not 100
% sure what their purpose is, how to set them up etc so still have a lot to research regarding that.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Is there more benefits to running the 600w MH from seed? Iv heard it can help keep the plant shorter but dont know how true that is.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

You need fans blowing towards-ish the plants to keep the air circulating for good growth or the air will become stagnant and do the girls no good.

You will want a fresh air in vent for when your plants and getting bigger and the heat rises.

My lights are air cooled so that air gets blown away to a big space before drifting out. I also have a carbon filter system that pulls the smelly air when in flower and sort of neutralises the smell before its blown away.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

I just couldnt be arsed fiddling with Cfls as Id need a few with 10 seeds growing away.

MH is a beast and once they have a node or two they really take off.

Top Bottom