Anybody know anything about mycolog?

• Thread starter GrandmaGanja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Hey all,

posting this here as my first resort, hopefully allowed. I’m asking because it’s some top dress I bought for my plants from local grow shop.

I bought some oyster straw too dress a few months ago that has been sitting under my deck in a plastic bag (very damp) and last night large mushrooms popped up. They’re almost certainly oyster mushrooms, but I don’t know if they’re edible. I don’t mess around with fungus, it can be the most deadly stuff around. Is there a way to tell if these are edible? Truly organic, I’d love to be able to eat them, that’s $30 worth of oyster mushrooms from the market!

Anybody know anything about mycolog
Anybody know anything about mycolog 2
Ponky

Ponky

Even if they are you didn't control the environment yourself. You can't be sure of other stuff like bacteria. Risk reward ratio not met in my opinion.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
those look like oysters. typically shelf-type mushrooms are safe. the only way to confirm for sure is with spore confirmation and a full review of the structure -- gill shape/pattern, spore print color, spore shape, etc.

as Ponky said, there is potential risk of bacterial infection (i don't see any indication of such) and a solid rinse on them would do well (as you would do even with store-bought mushrooms). so long they smell earthy/mushroom-y, they're likely fine to eat. that being said, if you're truly concerned you can likely reach out to your local university and a mycologist would be happy to confirm what you have there.

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

They look and smell delicious! It’s what oysters from the store are supposed to look like.
1288D141 68AE 49BC BAC3 DA0E22E3F409

TomH

TomH

Those are oyster mushrooms.
Pleurotus ostreatus, no doubt those are eminently edible unless they were soaking in something toxic.
Oyster mushrooms are both tasty and medicinal.

Good on ya!

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Thanks! Totally grew by accident. The guy said when I bought them that they sometimes find mushrooms on them, so I was hoping I would too! I threw them in the freezer, going to make a dope risotto this week!
Those are oyster mushrooms.
Pleurotus ostreatus, no doubt those are eminently edible unless they were soaking in something toxic.
Oyster mushrooms are both tasty and medicinal.

Good on y

Top Bottom