Anybody Tried Freezing Compost Tea

• Thread starter Kannabiz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PickleRick

PickleRick

Why do you assume they die? just because a lack of oxygen or the freezing temps? There is still oxygen in frozen ice. Thats why It floats in water, so it has more oxygen in the expanded pores than water. As far as freezing temps, this simply slows down microbial activity to the point of essentially a standstill. Thats why we freeze food! And when we thaw that food, it will get bad just as quick as if it had not been frozen.

If all the microbes died from freezing temps, then the entire surface of earth would completely die off in winter. That massive pile of compost out back, yeah its all dead in -30C, nothing good left come spring. Not sure why people are so quick to think freezing kills. High temps Kill, freezeing just (well freezes the process)

I think when you thaw that compost tea, get it to nice warm temps and aerate it for a day, its pretty close to where it was before frozen.

prove me wrong, I just want to know the truth, and all I see is people assuming, I expect better from the organic growing community.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Like i said im guessing. But aerobic bacteria is spontaneous. Appears when the conditions are right. And does not last long in tea.

And thawed food goes bad much faster than fresh. Thats one of the reasons i think the bacteria does not all last frozen.

Im sure you can find the answer in the teaming with microbes book. Or a standard biology textbook.

Both of those will tell you you need a microscope to even know if your tea is viable. and that you need to know what you are looking at.

Sorry I dont have your answer like you want.

PickleRick

PickleRick

I didn't see this mentioned in teaming with microbes. Even with an electron microscope, it is hard to quantify how much activity is in each. I guess my best bet is to freeze as planned, and then do a side by side with a fresh batch, and see how they respond.

Also I think why food goes bad quicker after thawing, is that the freezing process damaged the cell walls, thats why its all mushy etc.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I didn't see this mentioned in teaming with microbes. Even with an electron microscope, it is hard to quantify how much activity is in each. I guess my best bet is to freeze as planned, and then do a side by side with a fresh batch, and see how they respond.

Also I think why food goes bad quicker after thawing, is that the freezing process damaged the cell walls, thats why its all mushy etc.

It damages cell walls but leaves microbes untouched?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If you say so. Its just a blog. And it warns that bad bacteria may thrive more.

I would say your research is just getting started.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This is a good detailed look at the science (easy read)

This says usually some of the bacteria remain viable. Are they the right microbes? You have no idea.

And im only messing wih you because your initial response even though i said i was guessing was insulting.

Chill out. And you only want to find evidence you think supports your theory.

You dont know the contents of your teas microlife in the first place.

And healthy plants in soil dont need help. But that is a whole other discussion.

Peace. We can agree to disagree.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

This is a good detailed look at the science (easy read)

I'm gonna agree with Mimed- that's not really a detailed look at the science at all. It's a decent primer, but nothing near comprehensive enough to use as a resource with some inaccurate information. Any site that recommends 165 for e.coli doesn't really know what they're talking about- it dies at 155 degrees and most foodborne cases of it come from incorrectly washed produce.

The only way to really know is to do a series of double blind microbial analyses of fresh and thawed/reconstituted teas. Everything until then is speculative.

PickleRick

PickleRick

Go ahead and agree with the guy that assumed that all life dies when frozen. Poking holes in my sources doesn't make them wrong, thats you just trying to win what you think is an argument, I came here to find out some truth, and I think you guys learned more than I did in this exchange. Also sorry for any hurt feelings, not my intention. I think youll be ok.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Go ahead and agree with the guy that assumed that all life dies when frozen. Poking holes in my sources doesn't make them wrong, thats you just trying to win what you think is an argument, I came here to find out some truth, and I think you guys learned more than I did in this exchange. Also sorry for any hurt feelings, not my intention. I think youll be ok.

Sorry you feel the need to misquote me. I said I guessed that the aerobic bacteria would die.

When your article says most of the bacteria live which bacteria doesnt?

You sound like someone defending a bad purchase cause you already invested.

You asked a question. I answered so i would be alerted to more responses. You insulted me and other users here.

And youre still going on about it.......

At least I was willing to agree to disagree. You should try it. The doubt is the hard part it seems.

PickleRick

PickleRick

I don't think I insulted anyone. Will I call you out when you make blind assumptions without any science behind it, yes.

Im not going on about it, simply replying to a most recent comment.

I am more than confident with freezing my compost teas at this point. They have added amendments so its not just for microbes, but partly fertilizer boost as well. There are trillions of bacteria, fungi and microbes in one portion of my tea. No need to get into a debate about how many remain or which ones, if the majority do, that's good enough.

Cheers mate!

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Actually I wasn't trying to argue with you. If you want to believe that's a credible source, have fun. Having actually studied what the article is about for a decade or so, I have a different perspective.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i will agree with both of disagreeing,i also think this is one stupid ass thread for just a prop to get folks talking,seen it about a week ago and thought how damn lazy can you be,when it so easy to make,if you cant make enough to just feed what your looking too,maybe bottles are key for you,you mention all the science and stuff,well it just shit that feeds soil bottom line,if your not under a scope with each batch then your just guessing,if you were into the real science behind it then you wouldnt be lazy and enjoy all the lab work,but you choice to frezze it,makes you lazy,and yes you did disrespect my brothers.
like bro med said must have flunked your exam today,dont be hating friend life really is to short,good company is that and you blew that out of the water

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

I'm pretty lazy, and this is an old thread, but I was asking myself this same question.
I get slimed about half the time when I'm cloning, so I'm going to start using compost tea to fight the slime.
I used to grow mushrooms, and really got into mycology, and microbiology for few years, and one thing I know is not all things survive freezing, and a lot of what does, has to be in a cyst like state, such as seeds, or spores. Most things already growing would die, and become food for bad bacteria, but probably most of the spores would survive to be ready to grow the next generation when it warms up.
So basically, I've come to the conclusion, that its just as easy to start over.
As for starter ingredients, I'm pretty confident the soil from the ground in my woods will have a better, stronger, diversity of microbes then what I could buy in a can.
I'm cheap too, lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom