Anyone ever used Methanol?

• Thread starter halitzor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

halitzor

I have access to Methanol. My friend who can get it tried it on some trim already and the finished product was a blonde/light amber translucent substance that melted before the flame even touched it. Seemed to be pretty good stuff.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Blaze

Blaze

Methanol is highly toxic I would be very leery using it on something that you are going to ingest. If ingested, as little as 10 mL can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve and 30 mL is potentially fatal, although a fatal dose is typically 100–125 mL. It's nasty stuff so watch out. Is there some reason you want to use this instead of ethanol alcohol?

B

Bayareacannabis

I have access to Methanol. My friend who can get it tried it on some trim already and the finished product was a blonde/light amber translucent substance that melted before the flame even touched it. Seemed to be pretty good stuff.

Methanol is very toxic for sure and unless you read the MSDS sheet of it and can knowledgeably remove all traces of it you are asking for trouble. I believe the boiling point is about 170 and is the first by product to come out of making grain or moonshine alcohol. Since grain boils off at 185-195 f you stand a chance to clear it but is it worth your eyes? I use Everclear 190 proof with a distiller to recover it. If it's not food grain I'm not chancing another life sorry.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I use methanol for some meds, but redissolve the extraction into 190 proof hot ethanol and chill it to precipitate out the solids.

I then cook off the ethanol, which also removes more of the residual methanol.

H

halitzor

Because its 100% pure and ISO isn't.

But if its toxic probably not a good idea.

C

chefrey

how come D. Gold list it first in his list of solvents in cannabis alchemy? he dose say it dangerous but also "this solvent is commonly employed and if used correctly dose a fine job." Aren't all the solvents used in this process dangerous if not removed completely?

Top Bottom