Anyone every run 100% hydroton in their baskets?

• Thread starter mikeross
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeross

mikeross

now that my room is almost finished and my PK ladies will be here wednesday I really have to finalize how I am going to veg them out. It seems people are having issues with coco or rockwool staying to wet. I like the top drip Idea and would like to be able to drip 24/7.

So hydroton seems like the only medium I can think about that can be flooded 24/7 or set on a timer with frequent floods. The main reason I was to run drip 24/7 is just for more circulation of the entire system and hope I am adding more DO.

My rooted clones come in jiffy pucks. I was planning to just placing them in a 10" net pot filled entirely with hydroton.

Does it matter how deep I bury the clones? I imagine if I was running all hydroton the bottom of the jiffy puck is going to be 6+" from the water level... Is this a concern. I dont see why it should be but figured i would ask.

24/7 or timed flooding, which is optimal in regards to getting roots in the water quicker.

thanks guys

M

mrdizzle

if you have the space and ablity to keep the water chilled than hydroton is a good way to go. I am in the air how I will veg my next run. the coco pots are forgiving and I think following LOST's style of hand watering until the roots come out the bottom( bottom of the pot only) is the safest way to go with them

I would just bury the jiffy puck in so its anchored and you can still see the top of the puck and put the drip line next to the puck

hydroton is great and really the best option for 24/7 feeding, it wont stay wet so rot is unlikely, but its doesnt have the buffer when you veg so if a pump fails or your water gets too hot circulationg 24/7 your might have a problem

I wouldnt run hydroton if your goal is to circulate the nutes more, its not going to really add any benefit
I dont think you have to water hydroton 24/7 alot of people flood once and hour or so on ebb n flow

420king-MASSES

ive run 100%hydroton with no negeative effects just make sure to flush and let it sit in water 12-24 hrs before use

M

mrdizzle

also If I was going to use 100% hydroton I would use 3gal buckets so I could veg the plant large before transplant, they would really jump off after transplant

L

Lost

I used to use 1 inch jiffy plugs and hydroton. I did not top feed them back then but I would now.. Maybe.. hehehe

I put the clone towards the top of the bucket. :)

P

paulycali

Your going to run into problems. I normally would put a small layer of hydroton in the basket and place my clone thats rooted in a 4 inch rockwool cube and then fill the top and surrounding area of the basket with hydroton. The cube along with the hydroton with help support your plants as they get bigger. Hydroton wont hold up a full mature plant by itself. Hydroton will dry out way faster than rockwool. Rockwool is excellent for drip systems.
What i would do since your running a drip system is place slabs of rockwool down with 4-6 inch cubes on top. Works great!
I like basket systems for flood and drain because it makes it very easy to move the basket when the tray is being flooded. Giving you a chance to move your plants anywhere you want with little effort.

Hopefully you figure something good out and wish you luck on your grow

600gph

600gph

Whats the purpose of top feeding anyhow in MPB's? I mean once roots are out of the net pot I see mo reason at all, What they want is down below in the jacuzzi's.

I used to do standalone DWC and just put the 1.5" RW cube in a netpot full of Hydroton, Top watered tell roots hit the solution and then it was on! Try and keep it KISS if I can. At least what I can.

I get at least an additional 100 gph running through my drippers...

I would personally go with the 3x3 rockwool....Make sure to bury it in the top 20% of the basket and drip 24/7....

2 runs so far no problems with the 24/7 drip...

mc

L

Lost

Your going to run into problems. I normally would put a small layer of hydroton in the basket and place my clone thats rooted in a 4 inch rockwool cube and then fill the top and surrounding area of the basket with hydroton. The cube along with the hydroton with help support your plants as they get bigger. Hydroton wont hold up a full mature plant by itself. Hydroton will dry out way faster than rockwool. Rockwool is excellent for drip systems.
What i would do since your running a drip system is place slabs of rockwool down with 4-6 inch cubes on top. Works great!
I like basket systems for flood and drain because it makes it very easy to move the basket when the tray is being flooded. Giving you a chance to move your plants anywhere you want with little effort.

Hopefully you figure something good out and wish you luck on your grow

Bullshit, the cube is a waste. :) the cages hole up the plant... I ran 1 inch jiffy pellets and NO top feed. No problems to report... :)

L

Lost

I get at least an additional 100 gph running through my drippers...

I would personally go with the 3x3 rockwool....Make sure to bury it in the top 20% of the basket and drip 24/7....

2 runs so far no problems with the 24/7 drip...

mc

There is no need for top feed. Seriously, what do you think the top feed is doing for the plant once you have roots in the water?

Answer: Nothing.. Its not doing a damn thing.. :)

600gph

600gph

There is no need for top feed. Seriously, what do you think the top feed is doing for the plant once you have roots in the water?

Answer: Nothing.. Its not doing a damn thing.. :)

I do it for the extra circulation through the bucket and haven't had any problems...I am thinking I get at least 100 gph extra through each bucket...

Plus I dont use the oneway valve for my nutrient line ...If the nute pump stops at least I will still have there drip...

mc

Top Bottom