Anyone experimented with different colored reflective surfaces?

• Thread starter cooda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cooda

I was just doing a little reading and found an article published by Penn State where they used different colored mulches to effect the growth and production rates of different plants.

http://plasticulture.cas.psu.edu/P-Mulch.html

It seems that different colored mulches can have some pretty drastic effects on plants.

So my question, has anyone ever tried using other colors like say red and blue polyethylene. I don't know if they even make it.

But assuming my plant is getting as much of the full spectrum as possible from the bulb, could the light being reflected falling into a range of the spectrum that the plant likes, be beneficial for marijuana.

Penn State has shown that it works on different plants, anyone tried it with weed?

D

drfarm

green houses use shadecloth over the clear plastic to cut down sun/heat. The red shadecloth are common for flower growers (begonias,carnations, etc...) so maybe you have something, except the struggle to get more lumens indoor seems a questionable gain. Maybe red mylar??, but thats why hps spectrum is preferred, if im not mistaken..

F

forehead

tomato farmers use red reflective mulch to increase weight..I read somewhere

B

bigErn

If you are growing indoors, just use white material to reflect since white light contains all wavelengths if you are worried about light availability at the leaf level. I think the point of the colored mulch is to alter the properties of the soil such as temperature and moisture retention rather than to affect light absorption by the leaves.

My take on the research is that it would be more applicable to outdoor growing and that the parameters that are being manipulated by the colored mulch could be manipulated more effectively indoors without using colored mulch.

Interesting thought though. Might be something good for outdoor growers.

Top Bottom