Anyone grown out any landrace seeds?

• Thread starter 7munkee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
7munkee

7munkee

I recently received some landrace Moroccan Beidia seeds. After some research, I have found that it is a Sativa grown in the Moroccan Rif. It is claimed to be at least 800 years old.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular plant?

From what I could learn, it is quick flowering and a light feeder. Can anyone verify this?

I have always been one to collect heirloom seeds from veggies, herbs, flowers...practically anything that hasn't been GMO'd to death. I would like to do my part in keeping this line alive, albeit on the other side of the world from its native area.

ANY information will be appreciated.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
The only landrace I've ever had the opportunity to grow was Mazar I Sharif, so I can't speak heavily from experience. That being said, propagating landrace genetics is something I'm interested in and have done a fair bit of research regarding preservation.

First and foremost, they're all typically light feeders from what I've read.

Expect mutations and broad phenotype expressions.

If you're aiming for preservation, do open pollination with as large a population of plants as you can.

Expect to be surprised throughout the entire grow -- you'll likely end up with plants that look nothing like their siblings from the same seed stock and there will be the princesses and special needs plants as well.

Lastly, good luck! I too am a heirloom horder, and if I had more space would be absolutely humbled to have the opportunity to do a preservation run of some landrace genetics.

growsince79

growsince79

Ime, as soon as you grow the plant outside it's natural environment it's no longer a landrace strain. The seeds grown from them will not make the same plants as the landrace. Each generation shows more deviation and the original strain is lost. For strain preservation only original landrace seed should be frozen and saved

7munkee

7munkee

That does make sense. Different climate, different diet, however so slight, can have a dramatic affect on terpene production and god knows what else...changing the future genetic line.

I have 7 seeds. Perhaps I will grow one out and freeze the others. I am curious about this plant. The best hash in the world in made from landrace Moraccan cannabis. I'm curious to see what a few clones would do on the east coast of the US in the spring.

Thank you for the advice.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
That does make sense. Different climate, different diet, however so slight, can have a dramatic affect on terpene production and god knows what else...changing the future genetic line.

I have 7 seeds. Perhaps I will grow one out and freeze the others. I am curious about this plant. The best hash in the world in made from landrace Moraccan cannabis. I'm curious to see what a few clones would do on the east coast of the US in the spring.

Thank you for the advice.
assuming you don't have a zero humidity absolute zero freezer, freezing the remainders you have means nothing. a preservation run requires hundreds, or more optimally thousands, of plants. grow what you have, let em fornicate, carry the line forward. preservation is contextual and without physically growing on the land the original genetics came from, whatever environmental impacts may influence will take hundreds of years to express. retain the genetics for now. you won't live long enough to see what the eastern seaboard influences anyways.

growsince79

growsince79

assuming you don't have a zero humidity absolute zero freezer, freezing the remainders you have means nothing. a preservation run requires hundreds, or more optimally thousands, of plants. grow what you have, let em fornicate, carry the line forward. preservation is contextual and without physically growing on the land the original genetics came from, whatever environmental impacts may influence will take hundreds of years to express. retain the genetics for now. you won't live long enough to see what the eastern seaboard influences anyways.
I see a difference after one generation. The seeds from my mexican plants bred indoors are not the same as the parents. After 2 generations they were completely different. Open pollinated outdoors may be a bit different. But it won't take but a few generations and it will be nothing like the landrace strain.

Observationist

Observationist

The only landrace I've ever had the opportunity to grow was Mazar I Sharif, so I can't speak heavily from experience. That being said, propagating landrace genetics is something I'm interested in and have done a fair bit of research regarding preservation.

First and foremost, they're all typically light feeders from what I've read.

Expect mutations and broad phenotype expressions.

If you're aiming for preservation, do open pollination with as large a population of plants as you can.

Expect to be surprised throughout the entire grow -- you'll likely end up with plants that look nothing like their siblings from the same seed stock and there will be the princesses and special needs plants as well.

Lastly, good luck! I too am a heirloom horder, and if I had more space would be absolutely humbled to have the opportunity to do a preservation run of some landrace genetics.
did you use the all new spiderfarmer15000 light?

C

CideHameteBenengeli

I recently received some landrace Moroccan Beidia seeds. After some research, I have found that it is a Sativa grown in the Moroccan Rif. It is claimed to be at least 800 years old.

From what I could learn, it is quick flowering and a light feeder. Can anyone verify this?

I have always been one to collect heirloom seeds from veggies, herbs, flowers...practically anything that hasn't been GMO'd to death. I would like to do my part in keeping this line alive, albeit on the other side of the world from its native area.

They are small, "semi-autoflowering" sativas (they start flowering outdoors at my latitude as soon as the daily hours of sunshine are reduced), which finish earlier than most indicas.
It resists drought and pests like few others.

Low potency, between uplifting/cheerful and relaxing.
Flavours somewhere between herbal and blond hashish.

The traditional source of kifi and Moroccan blond hash until the arrival of Pakistani plants or Dutch and Spanish banks' plants.

Last edited:
J

jasondarkside

I just bought those same seeds ,I'm in East coast Canada and I want to know how EVERYTHING turned out for those Moroccan beldia seeds you were about to grow,before growing mine

7munkee

7munkee

As soon as the laws change in my state to allow me to grow outside, I will. A bill is in our congress now to allow us if it passes.

Top Bottom