Anyone have a rabbit setup for compost?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I'm looking to set up 6-8 rabbit cages as humanely as possible for a little poop action.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Worm poop is a easy alternative, six to eight bins and you could hustle the stuff!! but manure should be rather easier to source locally, the best ones that are benine are goat lama and alpaca they are almost never fed any antibiotics or de wormers. Different thought, a few chickens would give you eggs!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I think @One drop does. I know for sure he keeps ducks and chickens, pretty sure he has some rabbits too.
no Rabbits as yet C just Cavie, ducks n chooks nextdoor neighbors have rabbits and we get all the bedding straw from them it gets kicked from arsehole to breakfast time by the chooks it’s to hot just to use without hot composting it down ... Od .. hey message me ...

juggernaut

juggernaut

I was just going to set up a cage inside my greenhouse at the end.

Maybe compost it with some tree leaves and maybe some nutes.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I've got a rabbit. What can I help you with?

Rabbit poo isn't the easiest thing to get. They poo wherever they eat you you'll need to sift through a lot of hay.
It's pretty hard to keep rabbits in a humane way for poop. The only thing I can think of doing is having a wire bottom cage so the poo falls through but the hay doesn't but that fucks with their feet because they don't have paws.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I guess I can't really help you because mine's just a house pet.
I know a lot about them so I can answer any questions about rabbits just not how to get their poo.

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

Check out deep litter method. I spread a few new handfuls of bedding every couple days in our chickens coop and scatter a bit of EM1 on top. The EM1 innoculating the bedding with microbes both cuts down on smell(it helps immensely, not sure how stank rabbits are, but chickens stink in small spaces)and gives your manure a leg up on the composting process.

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

Real talk though, unless you're set up quite properly, just buying compost is much cheaper and easier than rearing animals for it. My wife's almost got me talked into raising rabbits for meat. Quite the healthy protein.

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

I've got a rabbit. What can I help you with?

Rabbit poo isn't the easiest thing to get. They poo wherever they eat you you'll need to sift through a lot of hay.
It's pretty hard to keep rabbits in a humane way for poop. The only thing I can think of doing is having a wire bottom cage so the poo falls through but the hay doesn't but that fucks with their feet because they don't have paws.
In this case, you wouldn't separate the shit from the bedding, you just compost it all together

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I can confirm, running a compost bin is a lot of work and time consuming. Adding in something as hot as manure of any type would exponentially increase the workload.

However, I've never had rabbit and I'm curious. I've heard it's greasy. Is there any credence to the reviews I've heard? Or does it come down to the cook?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I agree, either buy the poo or just keep chickens.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I can confirm, running a compost bin is a lot of work and time consuming. Adding in something as hot as manure of any type would exponentially increase the workload.

However, I've never had rabbit and I'm curious. I've heard it's greasy. Is there any credence to the reviews I've heard? Or does it come down to the cook?
As a pet, they're just as much work as a dog if not more and they're definitely not the brightest. I can't comment on the meat as I've never had it.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Real talk though, unless you're set up quite properly, just buying compost is much cheaper and easier than rearing animals for it. My wife's almost got me talked into raising rabbits for meat. Quite the healthy protein.
I raise my ducks chooks n Cavie for proteins . I’m not a rabbit fan but I love there meat . Deep litter is great and yes it should be very well hot composted period I do at least 1 /2 tone each heap and do 1 every month .

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

Or that's how I would do personally.

Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong but I believe rabbit is THE leanest protein we have "readily available". So if it turns out greasy, that's on the chef. So basically, you just need to know how to cook it properly

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

I raise my ducks chooks n Cavie for proteins . I’m not a rabbit fan but I love there meat . Deep litter is great and yes it should be very well hot composted period I do at least 1 /2 tone each heap and do 1 every month .
And am I reading you right? A 1/2 ton a month?! That's a lot of boo boo

Top Bottom