Anyone have any leads on affordable pearlite?

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Any place I find a good price seems to be out of stock. Also, do I want coarse? It will be for outdoor growing, either fabric pots or in the ground... haven't decided yet.

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

Any place I find a good price seems to be out of stock. Also, do I want coarse? It will be for outdoor growing, either fabric pots or in the ground... haven't decided yet.

Not sure how to add links directly from my amazon app but I got this awhile back & have been happy with it. Paid $39 for the 100L bag.
C265D2A2 552C 4D54 A59D 3D79C10BAA85

Reactions: TSD
TwitchVee

TwitchVee

mother earth has 4cubic ft bags, been considering it myself. Always buy bulk

Madbud

Madbud

You can always make coarse smaller. I like pea-size grade 3.

Reactions: TSD
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Basically all you’re going to find at nurseries or grow shops is #3 coarse and it’s perfect for our purposes. I have not personally seen #2 perlite anywhere in a few years. We use it to make thermal concrete. We had to use #3 last year and felt lucky to get it at $50 for 4 cubic feet here. Alaska.

TSD

TSD

Basically all you’re going to find at nurseries or grow shops is #3 coarse and it’s perfect for our purposes. I have not personally seen #2 perlite anywhere in a few years. We use it to make thermal concrete. We had to use #3 last year and felt lucky to get it at $50 for 4 cubic feet here. Alaska.
Yeah you guys pay more for most things.

SSgrower

SSgrower

I reluctantly bought some Scott's last month & did not know of a shortage?

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Chunk pearlite is available at any garden store cheap, however stay away from miricle grow pearlite bc they add food.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Rice hull isn't exactly a substitute considering it retains water but depending on where you live you in the country, it can be significantly cheaper and may be a good replacement depending on your grow.

SSgrower

SSgrower

Chunk pearlite is available at any garden store cheap, however stay away from miricle grow pearlite bc they add food.
Yes, I am afraid of that with the Scott's but what to do? Wash the perlite and how many times,Lol.

TSD

TSD

Yes, I am afraid of that with the Scott's but what to do? Wash the perlite and how many times,Lol.
That's tricky... don't know how they get the food in it, I would say soak it in a tote of water then spray with a hose or power washer a few times and dump in between. 🤷‍♀️ Though that may break it up?

Top Bottom