Anyone here use Xirtec PVC primer and cement?

• Thread starter airedog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
airedog

airedog

Supporter
I need to rebuild the manifolds for a UCXXL13 system in order to give it a bigger footprint. Got my pipe and fittings, and supplier recommended Xirtec primer and cement. As with most solvents, cautions and warnings out the wazoo, has anyone here used this and what kind of PPE should i be looking at beyond well-ventilated, gloves and glasses? Do i need a respirator and if so, what type of cartridge?

Homesteader

Homesteader

Never heard of the brand but I assume it is like Oatey purple primer and glue. Just don't spill it on your bathroom tile like I did before, the purple will never come out of the grout

airedog

airedog

Supporter
I have dust allergies and aerosol sensitivities from hell; just want to be sure. Thank-you for the responses; i'll run an 8" inline fan while i use the Xirtec.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Only ABS/PVC joints will be Spin Tight bulkheads to pipe; otherwise Tees and Pipes are all potable water pvc pressure pipes.

As i'll be in the basement, i'll drop furnace thermostat by 10 degrees and tell wife not to change it till i'm done. I'll try to keep in mind O'Toole's Commentary, bearing in mind that Murphy is the eternal optimist. Hopefully Finagle's Corollary will not apply.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Probably should have mentioned that i cleared Hep C a few years back, it's definitely made me a bit more careful of the load i put on my liver; especially given that i have chronic pain and am prescribed opioids. Ended up ordering a 3M 7502 half face respirator with a pair of 60926 VOC cartridges. I did (2) 3" SCH 40 pipe to tee connections yesterday and have about a dozen more to go, as well as a dozen or so 3" PVC/ABS joints.

Respirator and cartridges are low cost peace of mind.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Respirator and cartridges are low cost peace of mind.
True! I use em when mixin and transplanting...lots of perlite dust in the air..
Not for gluein or caulkin caus i try do it outdoor but....i think ill go get also a filter for that too !fok it...hate those smells!

Latest posts

Top Bottom