Anyone know about pipe lagging?

• Thread starter Gandalfalfa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

Does anyone know about pipe lagging? I’m trying to make some customized baffles around some exhaust fans.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

I’m working with two materials. One is a foam for sound insulation, about 1” thick, with a flexible polymer foil backing. The other is a heavy dark grey sound insulator loaded with barium and other heavy metals, about a 1/4” thick. Putting rolls of it around ducting immediately entering and exiting the fan is easy, so long as the line of axis is straight, but to turn 45 or 90 degrees is a nightmare, as you can imagine all sorts of geometry comes into play when trying to join to cylinders as 45 or 90 degree and leave no gaps, especially when layering the stuff.

Joshy

Joshy

I’m a sound engineer and I know the stuff you’re on about, both frighteningly expensive. You must be on a winning streak or have a lot of spare cash lying around to be going to THAT extent. The heavy stuff is mlv, is lined with barium sulfate and calcium silicate. Both are much easier to install as sheets, if we ever need the guys to go around pipes (usually grey water) to silence noise they already have a bunch of templates (you can find online). But I’ve never heard of layering acoustic foam and mlv around around pipes..makes sense though, most baffles aren’t long enough and most of the noise will come from the first 3’ of ducting either side. You’re going to run into issues with layering, as the templates will change size and shape as the cylinder increases in diameter., but basically you will end up with cut outs that look lil sine waves. Good luck. Would love to see some shots when you’re finished.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

Yeah tell me about it, project is turning into a serious mission. You’re right it’s pricey as all fuck, but I’ve managed to turn 4 very powerful centrifugal fans that sounded like jet turbines with naked ducting alone to virtually one more step away from whisper quiet. As soon as I have some angles at each end, most of the noise - and unfortunately some power - will be lost here. But working with this stuff has been amazing. Compared to the old style of baffles I used to make, much simpler and much more effective.

Thoth

Thoth

Sounds like Joshy there answered you’re question. Pipe lagging is a real art. I’ve done a bit of it before, but was all angles were fitted with pre made insulation, and not the stuff you’re talking about.

DragonKilla

DragonKilla

Ah yeah, if your familiar with the industry there’s a shit ton of stuff on line about how to totally sound proof a room. Sounds like you are already onto it. Just remember small gaps and cracks will be your silencers Achilles heel.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

Sigh. Don’t remind me. Royal pains in the your know what..

Ok. Basically giant MDF boxes surrounding the exhaust fan, with a partition in the middle to obviously prevent recirc draw within the unit. Boxes were backfilled with rock wool or acrylic insulation and a roll of wire straddled each sheath of the fan where ducting usually slips over. This was done to all maximum escape of sound waves into the box. Big, heavy primitive cumbersome. The largest one I ever build was for a 12” fan. The unit ended up being about the size of a sofa.

AfricanHaze

AfricanHaze

Your neighbors must have some seriously sensitive ears or your system is in a densely populated area (guessing terrace housing?). Crazy bro. Hope it all goes well for you.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

Hahaha..sounds like you’ve had some experience with this yourself? I’ve been at this game for years. You bet, systems are attached to shared walls so it’s always full stress - and fun! It’s just a game really. I love doing this. I stopped for a couple of years and became depressed, lol. I don't need it for the cash I have a successful business already - but I love the constant tinkering and anxiety high.

AfricanHaze

AfricanHaze

I would bet this has come at the cost of a few relationships? Haha, just kidding, I’m not actually expecting you to answer that question.

Rosenberg

Rosenberg

ROFL!!.. remember what an old boy in the game once told me - you want to survive at this for a long time there are the 3 golden rules.

1. Keep everyone on a need to know basis

2. If you’re dumb enough to have a business partner, if there’s ever a fight about money - let it go and turn away, live to grow another day.

3. Never EVER tell your girl - because hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

forsaken

forsaken

Yes!! Totally silent invisible -ve pressured insulated underground grow ops. That’s 95% of it. The rest is just growing some weeds in water.

LordVane

LordVane

I’m happy (well not for you) to tell you unfortunately your passion is about to become redundant my friend. National legalization will mean no more need for closet grows.

Fire Bean

Fire Bean

Grow op concealment does not indicate illegality. I have a fully licensed op that is policed by the authorities but grow bunker style for the obvious reason of security. It’s not until weed loses the vast majority of it’s monetary value will this no longer be an issue.

Top Bottom