Anyone know what temp under the lamp at plant tips is good?

• Thread starter Ph 007
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ph 007

Ph 007

Hi bothers and sisters

I'm trying to find what numbers I want under my hps lamp not shaded by anything to determine the light distances/ leaf temps by measuring the temps under the lamp so be mesuring the infered and air temp that's hitting the plant tops

Of read few options
78-80
80-85
85-90 This ones seems very hot

Any info welcome lol ;)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi bothers and sisters

I'm trying to find what numbers I want under my hps lamp not shaded by anything to determine the light distances/ leaf temps by measuring the temps under the lamp so be mesuring the infered and air temp that's hitting the plant tops

Of read few options
78-80
80-85
85-90 This ones seems very hot

Any info welcome lol ;)
Do you have an IR temp gun bro?

It's not so much the air temps that matter. The leaf temps are the key and they can vary greatly depending on transpiration rates and environment.

Evaporation is how the plants cool themselves the higher the rates the more evaporative cooling. Everything from root temps to forced evaporation from wind can affect it.

Many man studies show and my experience falls in line with leaf temps being 75-77f as having the highest photosynthetic rates which can be seen by how much light they can use.

The truth is the ideal room temp is whatever gives you the ideal leaf temps.

Under LED they are usually much cooler as there isn't the effect of infrared warming seen undrr HPS and most HID lights. Because LED does not produce IR.

A typical assumption would be leaf twmps 2F cooler than the ambient temp but that is a very big assumption with much room for error.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Do you have an IR temp gun bro?

It's not so much the air temps that matter. The leaf temps are the key and they can vary greatly depending on transpiration rates and environment.

Evaporation is how the plants cool themselves the higher the rates the more evaporative cooling. Everything from root temps to forced evaporation from wind can affect it.

Many man studies show and my experience falls in line with leaf temps being 75-77f as having the highest photosynthetic rates which can be seen by how much light they can use.

The truth is the ideal room temp is whatever gives you the ideal leaf temps.

Under LED they are usually much cooler as there isn't the effect of infrared warming seen undrr HPS and most HID lights. Because LED does not produce IR.

A typical assumption would be leaf twmps 2F cooler than the ambient temp but that is a very big assumption with much room for error.
Ye mate I have tried using IR gun dont work for me

If bough 4 of the same gun the all different readings so they inaccurit also says on the box accuracy of 2c
if also bought a known make Bosch, but not sure what ones to go off lol

Also im not sure how to go off leaf temps
I mean
Do I want leaf temps all over the tops of the plants sitting at about 75-77 constantly and the fan then comes on to cool the room when they hit like 80 then the room cools back to lead temp 75-77
Or
Do I want the fan to cool the room when they hit 77f I tried this and the then nip down to 71-73 area
And repeats

I do like the lead temp idea make a so much sense but not sure how to use them like what leaf temps is bad
Over 80 I think you said before

Top Bottom