Anyone make tinchures

• Thread starter cruzin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cruzin

cruzin

Thinking of making some tincture and oil from a few oz.
Anyone use 151 rum or ever clear?
I've read about it but not tried it yet.
Any suggestions or respies?

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Dont use rum! Everclear is the best as it leaves no harsh flavors later on.... I use the typical methods but with a twist... I add a few hunks of dry ice to the weed and everclear mixture and let it turn to slush while stiring... idk why this works so much better but I think it helps break down the essential oils better... after the dry ice evaporates off seal the container and let sit for a week or so... then use a double boiler to slowly and gently boil off the liquid until thick like maple syrup... I use syringes to suck up the oil. This alone helps when making edibles as the syringe has measurements on it making in it easier to dose your edibles if that's your thing.... I like to take a gram or two of the oil and put it in honey.

Galvatron

Galvatron

There is a cool machine called MagicalButter. https://www.magicalbutter.com/
It's a little pricey but you can also take a risk on getting cheap knockoffs.
It's useful for making oils and tinctures and there are lots of recipes on their site. (Canna-Sugar anyone?)
I have found that 1 oz of flower to 1 bottle of 190 Everclear make a relatively weak tincture but is easy to figure out dosing. A teaspoon into a glass of orange juice is a delicious drink and nice, manageable buzz. You can always add more herb or evaporate some or all of the alcohol to make it stronger.

cruzin

cruzin

Yes great, Im older and lungs are tired so I want to make something I dont have to smoke. I was going to stop and see if I could fine one or the other. Ill try to avoid the rum. What about vodka, i havent bought liquor in a long time and hoping ever clear is available in Michigan. I tried to buy some on line and a error happened and said cant sell to you in Michigan.

rayi

rayi

Everclear 150 proof not 190 is available in Michigan. I live close to the Indiana border and have heard of people travelling the 1/2 hour to get the 190. I never let alcohol tintures set. Google quick wash. Less chlorophyll and better taste.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

That's true... but as far as the green chlorophyll taste, that's why I suggested the dry ice... I learned this a while back and idk why it helps with that taste but it does. I assume the extreme cold helps break the chlorophyll down better or something lol but to each their own my friend lol

TerriR

TerriR

Thinking of making some tincture and oil from a few oz.
Anyone use 151 rum or ever clear?
I've read about it but not tried it yet.
Any suggestions or respies?
I have the magical butter machine...that’s the way to go. you can use everclear or glycerin. I did it for awhile but then I decided to just decarb, grind it up, and put it in capsules. Less work, works GREAT. Got an All-in capsule machine off Amazon for less than $30.
https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Capsules-Easier-Faster/dp/B07CX5VWYS

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I have the magical butter machine...that’s the way to go. you can use everclear or glycerin. I did it for awhile but then I decided to just decarb, grind it up, and put it in capsules. Less work, works GREAT. Got an All-in capsule machine off Amazon for less than $30.
I use a capsule machine for mushrooms lol

cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

I make tincture. With everclear. I am liking the dry ice idea, because cold is key. Decarb the weed in your toaster oven. 250 degrees for 40 min. Use a thermometer to make sure your ovens dialed. Get your greens and your booze as cold as possible. Slap ‘em together in a jar and shake for 5 min or less. Having dry ice in there at that point makes great sense. Then strain the ice and the greens through a paint strainer. Then let as much alcohol as you wish evaporate (or cook) off. I usually go for 1/4 the starting volume. Puts an old regular smoker like me on my ass.
I’m definitely going to try the dry ice next time I brew. I have gotten it from my grocery store. Not for sale but they receive some items in it I think.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I make tincture. With everclear. I am liking the dry ice idea, because cold is key. Decarb the weed in your toaster oven. 250 degrees for 40 min. Use a thermometer to make sure your ovens dialed. Get your greens and your booze as cold as possible. Slap ‘em together in a jar and shake for 5 min or less. Having dry ice in there at that point makes great sense. Then strain the ice and the greens through a paint strainer. Then let as much alcohol as you wish evaporate (or cook) off. I usually go for 1/4 the starting volume. Puts an old regular smoker like me on my ass.
I’m definitely going to try the dry ice next time I brew. I have gotten it from my grocery store. Not for sale but they receive some items in it I think.
Yeah its a Tech I learned many many years ago. Like before the attitude in this country changed on the subject lol if you do it make sure to stir on and off till the Alcohol turns to a slush (Yes the alcohol will semi freeze!). Be careful as semi frozen Alcohol is extremely cold and will create burns very quickly on skin.
Im not 100% whats going on in this process but I assume that at those temps the cell structures of the scraps compleatly break down allowing for a better desolving of all essential oils.
Ive also used dry ice in some BHO extraction. My thinking was that the butane would stay in the tube longer before evaporating and forcing its way out due to the pressure. Thus in my thinking would desolve more oils by sitting in the butane longer... Results weren't as impressive. There was more extracted at the end but its mediocre at best lol

cruzin

cruzin

Got some everclear 151 tonight nothing stronger available. Ill be trying it out soon.

Galvatron

Galvatron

If you want to "purify" your alcohol, search for glass distillers on Amazon. They start at about $60.00 for a basic one. It can easily turn your 151 into 199! This same apparatus can be used to recover your alcohol if you want to concentrate the tincture afterwards.
The Magical Butter machine makes a "full extract" tincture. Some like this for the medical benefits and is referred to as FECO. (Full Extract Cannabis Oil) When you freeze the herb and chill the alcohol below 32 degrees F, it tends to keep the water soluble elements (like chlorophyll ) frozen solid. This method is commonly called QWET. (Quick Wash Ethanol Tincture)

cruzin

cruzin

Dont know what happened to my first try. It looked like just a yellow gold liquid, Its in a pint jar about 1/2 full, I put the jar with open top in a pan of water and brought it up to a small boil. And now it looks like coffee with cream in it. And it has the globuals of oils laying all over the bottom what does not mix in with the tintchure. See the picture of holding jar up looking at the bottom you can see the brown stuff its oil that has seperated from the tintchure. Maybe if I let it set over night it will change.
Any opinions on what Ive done wrong?

Cooking
Seperating
cruzin

cruzin

I think I went way beyond in removing the everclear. This is more like hash oilI should have stopped with the heat after I reduced it by half with evaporation. Ill try again.

cruzin

cruzin

Is there such a thing and a lid for large mouth jar that has a evaporator column so you recapture your everclear? or would that be too dangerous?

quirk

quirk

I think I went way beyond in removing the everclear. This is more like hash oilI should have stopped with the heat after I reduced it by half with evaporation. Ill try again.
You took it to the limit cruzin. Before I started using the Source Turbo to extract and reclaim, I'd evaporate my starting 8ozs. down to 4, in a dark cupboard. Took 8-10 days in my house and smelled great every time I opened up to check the progress. Do not discard those trichome husks. Put 'em in a smoothie and enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom