Anyone Plant In The Ground

• Thread starter Yodax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Yodax

Yodax

Looking at the prices of 200 gallon smart pots, we are looking for ways to save a little money. We have fertile farm land with plenty of well drained, small slopes. I have tilled the soil to about 8" and was wondering if I could plant direct in the ground and get good results. Haven't ruled out the smart pots, or plastic containers, so PLEASE tell me if this is a piss poor idea.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I am am outdoor grower. 6 inches is not deep enough. If you can go closer to two feet down having holes in the ground you can improve on year after year is my preferred method. I am at about 5 foot wide on all my holes. I am just waiting for this rain system to pass before planting. Some will advise against filling a hole claiming drainage issues. Never a problem for me but I guess it depends on dirt.

organicpanic

organicpanic

Wire fencing walls lined with straw. Hardware cloth on the bottom. Fill with soil mixed yourself. Super cheap. Thats how I grow my food. Super bad gopher problem on my property. Works really well for me. I just cant spend money like that for pots. Id love to have them however.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'll second or third the motion for hardware cloth, quarter inch. You can line your holes with it then refill with soil. Depending on your soil tests you may or may not need to amend, we can't really say without knowing how fertile that soil really is.

Cannabis cultivators tend to really overwater, overfeed, overlove their plants, IMO.

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

laundry basket an some anti weed fabric = poor mans smart pot. When I would plant in random places I would dig 3x3 holes an line the hole with chicken wire twice so it crisscrossed. Never had an issue. But I'm a newb, so try my ideas when you have tried at least 50 others! Lolz

MrBlah

MrBlah

If you plant in the ground, make sure you get a soil sample analysis. That will help you determine how to fertilize your crop. Once you've got a soil test on hand, come back and we can talk about how to go about building a fertilizer profile for it.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
They don't bite you coulda got a little closer for the pic so we have an idea of what those are :D

But with that said, if its a container with holes that allow for drainage and oxygen then im sure your DIY is going to work just fine :D

MrBlah

MrBlah

And if the container doesn't have holes, add some and you'll be fine.

Are you going to buy soil and fill these? I would consider getting a soil test done on what ever you use. It should give you a strong idea on what you do or do not need to consider when it comes to fertilizer.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That looks like fantastic soil, but I'll put bells on the soil testing BEFORE throwing amendments in there. It could literally need not a thing.

Yodax

Yodax

We have a bulk soil company that is delivering 7.5 cubic yards tomorrow morning. I might add it to the existing soil if I need more, but will do that sparingly. I have 16 plants so far for outdoor and just picked up some smaller (100 gallon) pots for the remainder.

papapayne

papapayne

Looking at the prices of 200 gallon smart pots, we are looking for ways to save a little money. We have fertile farm land with plenty of well drained, small slopes. I have tilled the soil to about 8" and was wondering if I could plant direct in the ground and get good results. Haven't ruled out the smart pots, or plastic containers, so PLEASE tell me if this is a piss poor idea.

for our area, the nice thing with smart pots is how fast they dry. We have very wet autumns, with high humidity so in the ground can make em pretty saturated in the soil doesnt drain (I imagine you have clay soil up there?)

papapayne

papapayne

I decided to make my own pots. What do you think? Sorry for the tiny pic. Will take better pics tomorrow.

Look at all that space! Beautiful. Love up the McKenzie, so beautiful

papapayne

papapayne

We have a bulk soil company that is delivering 7.5 cubic yards tomorrow morning. I might add it to the existing soil if I need more, but will do that sparingly. I have 16 plants so far for outdoor and just picked up some smaller (100 gallon) pots for the remainder.

who did you go with? Last year I used lane forest for soil and compost. Was very pleased with it, added in some lava rock, and some neem seed meal and mycos, and was golden :)

Yodax

Yodax

Lane Forest. Our soil is classified as loam, but nothing has been worked for a couple of years.

Top Bottom