Anyone Recycle extraction solvents?

• Thread starter B.B. King
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

B.B. King

I've been enjoying the shit outa' hash oil lately, but it's time to refine my methods a bit. I've tried Isopropyl, and acetone to date. They both work fine, but they both dissolve a considerable amount of plant matter. I've read that a nonpolar solvent results in a much cleaner product. We're all familiar with butane extraction, and that's a nonpolar solvent. Another one is hexane. It's commonly used to extract oil from seed pulp. That's what I'd like to try next.

The other thing I'd like to try is to reclaim a significant portion of the solvent. I'm thinking a typical hooch-type still would work fine. The only hitch I can think of is that hexane is likely to eat any rubber grommets, prolly even epoxy. I'm thinking connections should brazed or something. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Grow well,
B.B.

Graywolf

Graywolf

We reclaim butane, alcohol, and hexane using heat or vaccum, or a combination of both.

Both Buna-n and Viton both work excellently with Hexane.

B

B.B. King

Would you care to elaborate? What are Buna-n and Viton?

Grow well,
B.B.

B

B.B. King

Sweet! Many thanks Graywolf. Could you elaborate a bit on the equipment/ methods you employ?

Grow well,
B.B.

Dad

Dad

bho will have a better taste but those other kinds of extracts will have medicinal value

B

B.B. King

Coleman Premium Camp Fuel is cyclohexane. Would that be a viable nonpolar solvent? How about regular Coleman Fuel? It's a blend of light hydrocarbons.

Many thanks,
B.B.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Coleman's MSDS sheets are a joke, only revealing that it contains light distillates that boil at higher than 38C/100F. It could have anything in it that boils in the naphtha range.

I have never tried Comeman's myself, buty talked to someone who did and complained of its high boiling point, suggesting light distillates as heavy as at least Heptane.

Top Bottom