Anyone smoke a Tobacoo Pipe?

• Thread starter cemchris
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Recently got into it just wondering if there are any fellow smokers out there?

phenotyper

phenotyper

Yes, but I mostly treat it like a spliff. I usually do 1:3 ratio of tobacco to herb, but only every once in a while, because, the inhale is *killer*. One day, I was at a tobacco shop, and I had the urge to look emulate sherlock holmes. There you have it.

K

kolah

I am a huge pipe tobacco hobbyist. I own some pretty fancy pipes and collect pipe tobacco from all over the globe. Top shelf tobacco blends (cigar and pipe tobacco) are nothing like cheap, chemical tainted cigarette tobacco. (also, those low quality pipe tobacco brands they sell it supermarkets and cig shops are shit, IMO).

Much like most cigar smokers I do not inhale pipe tobacco. I enjoy the variety of flavors and still get nicotine absorption through the mucous membranes in the mouth. Pipe smoking is not about getting your fix and sucking on a stinky-ass cig. It's a relaxing quiet time to settle back and chill and enjoy quality tobacco. I have yet to see a man yell and scream with a warm pipe in his hand. :)

I smoke 2-3 average size bowls per day...some days I smoke less, never more.

Pipe smokers are a rare breed. It was once quite popular. I'd like to see the cig smokers take up the pipe instead of puffing down those wretched smelling coffin nails.

I do have two nice briar wood pipes fitted with screens that I use exclusively for toking my maryjane though....oh wait, I mean my "MEDICATION." <eye-roll>

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Nice man. Im an ex cig smoker. Dont inhale. I got into it for the enjoyment. One bowl a day after a long work day really hits the spot.

Got any Tobacco suggestions? I was turned on to Aristocrat and I'm pretty turned off on it. Like the sweeter sides of them.

K

kolah

Check out "4 Noggins Tobbacco" online. They have great sampler packs. Better yet, call up Rich (the owner) and he will help you out. He carries topnotch quality "baccy."

I first started with what are called "aromatics." Those are the cherry blends, raspberry, maple, etc, and many other types which are fruity and sweet. These are made from low grade to average tobacco plants and then sprayed with flavorings. Some of the higher quailty aromatics are "cased." The tobacco blenders create a"special sauce" and then soak the tobacco in the mixture and then stove it or steam it and let it dry and then age.. People always comment how nice aromatics smell.

I got a bit bored of the aro blends and started to explore. (much like trying different strains of pot) I started ordering tobaccos from all over the world. There are Virginia type tobaccos (grown in VA and the Carolinas) which have a natural sugar content and a sweet hay-like flavor. Then there are Burleys (grown in KY) which are more of a oatmeal, chocolatey tobacco (higher in nicotine too). There are Perique tobaccos grown only in Louisiana which is a spicey, peppery tobacco. There is also a Latakia type tobacco which is basically tobacco that is hung up to dry and exposed to fire-smoke which gives the tobacco a interesting smokey flavor (although it is NOT a crowd pleaser because of its aroma, lol). There are a few other types that are not as popular such as Orientals, African tobaccos, Lakelands (a soapy, floral taste) and some tobaccos mixed with cigar leaf. The list goes on and on.

And of course.. take all the above tobaccos I have mentioned and there are connosoir/expert blenders who mix them in different proportions to get a shitload of varieties. The possibilities are endless.

I smoke mostly Virginias (called a V.A) and Virginias mixed with Perique (spicey, pepper) which is called a VaPer. Once in a while I'll smoke a BurPer ( burley mixed with perique). I buy mostly UK blends as I think they are top notch and they are old skool recipes from hundreds of years ago. I can buy a topshelf blend, a tin of 50 grams for 12 bucks and it lasts me 3-4 weeks. I just shake my head at the cig smoker who puts down 5-6 bucks for a pack of cancer sticks.

Pipes are another story as I spend anywhere from 80 to 200 dollars for a nice handcrafted tobacco pipe. Although I have to admit corncob pipes (yeah I know, hillbilly, Popeye, etc) are great smoking pipes and they can be bought brand new for about 8 bucks.

BTW, pipe tobacco is much like MJ and good wine as it ages over time. I have seen 30 year old pipe tobacco sell for 600 dollars for a 50 gram tin. I kid you not. And some handcrafted pipes sell for 5-10,000 bucks.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
-Albert Einstein, 1950

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
-”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”

“Pipe smoking is the most protracted of all forms of tobacco consumption. It may explain why pipe smokers are generally regarded as patient men–and philosophers.”
-Jerome E. Brooks, from The Mighty Leaf, Tobacco Through the Centuries

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
-Indian Proverb

“…So it shall be for all time. If discord has broken out between two beings, let them smoke together. United by this bond, they will live in peace and friendship thereafter.”
Attributed to the Great Manitu, the Great Spirit.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Im really liking Dark Twist tobacco. Has a great Flav.

dark_twist.jpg

Use the pipe filters or do you toss them?

K

kolah

MacBaren is a popular mid-grade blend. I like Dark Twist on occasion.

I don't use pipe filters. They are very popular in Europe though, especially in Germany.
After each smoke I clean my stem and airhole with pipecleaners soaked in Everclear (190 proof grain alcohol). It keeps my pipes from going sour.

K

kolah

My favorite pipe tobacco comes from the UK. Samual Gawith tobaccos are good old skool stuff. High quality, much like a Cuban cigar, IMO.

It would be nice to see cig smokers quit and take up the pipe. I buy a 50 gram tin of Sam Gawith's Full Virginian Flake for about 11 dollars and it lasts me a month.

Latest posts

Top Bottom