Anyone transplant form Uc to coco in emergency?

• Thread starter hogan400
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hogan400

Yep, had a bucket crack and the water low. I had to drain down, and swap a bucket, but it took a while since It was in the middle back row... Now my ph is starting the quick drop. Im already using ewc tea, the plants are very healthy except 1. My room is dialed and water temps are 64, so things are fine.

I am thinking of dropping them into 10 gal coco smarty's, to attempt to relieve my own personal stress. Plants are pretty large, but I'd like to see these to the end.
Any one ever do this with success? If so did you see shock, how how much? Any tips if I go this route in the next day or two?

Thnaks farmers.
h400

H

hogan400

Its late, Im tired, "form" in the thread title was sup to be "from". Well medicated too;)

dankworth

dankworth

Yep, had a bucket crack and the water low. I had to drain down, and swap a bucket, but it took a while since It was in the middle back row... Now my ph is starting the quick drop. Im already using ewc tea, the plants are very healthy except 1. My room is dialed and water temps are 64, so things are fine.

I am thinking of dropping them into 10 gal coco smarty's, to attempt to relieve my own personal stress. Plants are pretty large, but I'd like to see these to the end.
Any one ever do this with success? If so did you see shock, how how much? Any tips if I go this route in the next day or two?

Thnaks farmers.
h400
You will like 50/50 chow on drippers on a cycle timer much better than 100% coco, so will they. Better growth rate.
I have transplanted rdwc plants into coco hempy buckets. They will stall a bit, but not too bad. They need time to turn their hydrophilic roots into fine-haired ones that can effectively feed in coco.
Hit them with some superthrive and 1/4 ml/gallon of dip n grow in your res and they will get over the transplant much faster.
Not too much light until you see roots popping out the side of the smart pots.
Keep up the 1/4 ml/gal dip n grow for a while.

H

hogan400

Ph has stabilized and things seem ok for the moment. Ima give it a little more time before I do anything more. Still curious how many others have faced this decision and their results as well?

ttystikk

ttystikk

I am just pulling the rest of my girls out of RDWC as they ripen and going back in with 25%coco/hydroton chow mix. I just flat got sick of inconsistent results, no matter what I did. And, I did plenty.

I will give up the last few percentage points of absolute growth to get better consistency in my results- and judging from others' posts, I'm not so sure I'll even have to.

dankworth

dankworth

I am just pulling the rest of my girls out of RDWC as they ripen and going back in with 25%coco/hydroton chow mix. I just flat got sick of inconsistent results, no matter what I did. And, I did plenty.

I will give up the last few percentage points of absolute growth to get better consistency in my results- and judging from others' posts, I'm not so sure I'll even have to.
With all the stalling that occurs in rdwc, it fucks up the results/time ratio.
And that is pure topdrip. Hater buckets will probably end up matching rdwc growth rates in my opinion.

H

hogan400

Shane20, thats a smooth easy idea buddy. Appreciate ur help.

Ttystikk, I feel ya. I worked pretty hard at these goals. This feeling Im gettin from coco is nice. I like cch2o and the customer service they provide, I am still very interested in their coco system and they are real good people.

Dworth, honestly I havent noticed issues other than "me" and rdwc dont play well together.:mad:
Most errors were mine, and Im real about it. I had some bad bacteria and some bad nutes. Things that you cant plan for or expect. Just happened.

I cant afford to not go without hitting a few runs at this point. The Uc is killing it again and the ph is solid so Ill wait til something breaks or ?

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I use these when I need to do work.. They are life savers for sure..
Downloadfile

Resinable

Resinable

Hogan,
Consider modifying your buckets and going UC earth style with 20/80 coco/ growstones or just straight growstones . . . those UC earth's look far more robust and just an all around great idea to me . . . my two cents

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hogan,
Consider modifying your buckets and going UC earth style with 20/80 coco/ growstones or just straight growstones . . . those UC earth's look far more robust and just an all around great idea to me . . . my two cents

That's more or less the approach I'm taking; dropping a 5 gallon insert into the 5 gallon bucket I'd been using as RDWC, drilling a bunch of holes in the bottom and filling it with 25% coco and 75% hydroton. Topfeed irrigation, not sure if I'm going high pressure or low pressure/drip style. The UC Earth is just a recirc version of this idea, and for what I think I'm missing- or not- I may well just stick with dtw.

Dankworth was equating the exudates from plants' roots with 'shit' and I think this is inaccurate. What's been shown to exude from plants' roots is mostly glucose, up to 1/4 or even 1/3 of the total generated by the plant during the course of the day spent photosynthesizing! Why would plants willingly dump so much of their hard earned energy into the soil? They're deliberately feeding a huge array of microbial life that then benefits the plant by breaking down key substances into forms plants can use, helping to transport these directly into the plants' roots, and effectively increasing the effective surface area of the root system, often by orders of magnitude. More benefits are even now just coming to light in this field of study, but this is obviously a mutually beneficial arrangement, a.k.a. symbiosis.

Clearly, the plants are gaining far more than they're 'losing.' The biggest problem with RDWC is that while this same process is going on, the microbes the plant wants to feed can't hang on- they're floating about in the soup, as it were. Since they can't organize around the plants' roots and operate as they've evolved to, they tend to die, requiring reapplication of teas on a very regular basis, at least every few days or so. Failure to do this leaves the attractive food source available for opportunistic pathogens- and sooner or later they'll show up.

So, does RDWC leave plants' roots swimming in shit? No. Swimming in sugar? Yes, and in some ways, this is worse. But it's still energy, and in a proper substrate this energy can be effectively directed back into beneficial activity on the plants' behalf. That's where the coco comes in- it creates the structure necessary for the plants and the microbes their exudates are feeding to coexist together and create that mutually beneficial environment known as the 'rhizosphere.' Combine this activity with 75% hydroton, which acts as a vertical nutrient film technique to spread highly oxygenated solution down through the root mass, and this becomes a very powerful life support system for the plants. Inocluate this substrate with a biodiverse group of beneficial bacteria, fungi and the like, and you have an easy to maintain, highly enriched environment for the roots, which then feed the shoots, which then get the nutrients that encourage the flowers and oils we're all craving.

I'm just a wee bit frustrated that it took me this long to figure out why RDWC hasn't been working.

Resinable

Resinable

Excellent post ttstikk, very well put and researched.

While I am interested, always, in the theoretical underpinnings as to why this or that is true first and foremost is what works in the real world. And with out a doubt I can tell you that recirculating systems do work and do not necessarily have a high failure rate. How do I know? Experience. I have numerous runs under my belt both recirculating coir/ perlite mixes (which are not that different from chow) of various ratios and draining to waste. (Not to mention all the other successful recirc. grows I've observed.) Personally I have seen little difference in results when I've run recirc or DTW. I have never lost a crop due to recirculating in coir/perlite.

I don't think anyone can deny that RDWC has a higher failure rate than many other methods yet it can be done and when it is running on all cylinders RDWC has growth rates second to none. But those failure rates have more to do with the deep water than the recirculation of nutrients. When we talk about problems with RDWC we need to differentiate from recirculating systems in general.

Just consider ebb and flow for a minute; a robust system with many, many successful grows having been completed in it. Ebb and flow is recirculating. If recirculating nutrients is such a terrible thing than why have so many growers had great, repeatable results with it?

You can have all the theories in the world about why exudates are bad and why recirc. is not good but when observations of what actually happens in real grow rooms do not support the theory then the theory should be abandoned.

H

hogan400

All4, those are pretty smooth. I like ur ideas man.

Resinable
I have, the problem I have is its a 15oo system with 2 airpumps and a water pump, stuff I wont use. I was gonna modify since I liked what deacon did with his but I can build one to suit, dtw for like 5-600. Its a tough choice so Ima see if I can sell this extra brand new system and chiller I have sitting. 12 site 13xxl and 1/2hp still sealed.

H

hogan400

TTystikk, Resinable,
you both make good points, its my belief that undercurrent is a very good style, but I feel the local water here may not be the best choice for it. Also Im not in the position to wait any longer givin the fact my first coco run is performing good. I had zero problems and I can really make a simple cost effective table and drain for 125 bones. I would like to make a sick custom or get the earth system from cch20....I have a few weeks still and Im patient. Lol

ttystikk

ttystikk

Resinable, you're right about the difference between what is RDWC and what's simply recirc. The constant water bath of RDWC is part of what causes the problems; that, and the lack of a home for beneficial microbes and fungi.

I've been banging my head against the RDWC wall for longer than I care to admit- and I have yet to get a crop all the way through without losses in quality- or casualties.

Faced with that kind of track record, one has to consider trying something different. Fortunately, my home-made RDWC is amenable to the minor alterations necessary to make it a chow mix dtw. If I want to recirc, it's as simple as putting the waterpump outlet right back in its old place instead of running down the drain.

Top Bottom