Anyone tried H&G's coco fiber medium?

• Thread starter HG23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HG23

HG23

I was at the hydro shop and noticed they're carrying H&G's coco product. I didn't really have time to talk to the guy in the shop about it but thought I'd ask around the farm and see if anyone knew what was up. They had it listed for $20 per 50l (1.77 cu feet) bag. This is the description from the H&G site:

House & Garden Coco Substrate meets the strictest demands made on coco fibre by the RHP foundation, giving consistent high quality that the end users require.

All House & Garden Coco undergoes a rigorous process of buffering and cleaning to ensure all impurities are washed out of the coco which gives the plant every chance of success.

HungryMan420

HungryMan420

Ive been tryin to get my hydro store to carry it! It is a good coco!! I would recomend getting it!!

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
do you know how salty it is?
i just tested 4 brands and found canna to be the best by far.
I added 1 gallon of 19 ppm RO water to 2 gallons of coco and tested the runoff.
botanicare cocogro - 1600 ppm
basement mix - 1300 ppm
dutchmans - 1000 ppm
canna - 150 ppm

needless to say I went with the canna.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
do you know how salty it is?
i just tested 4 brands and found canna to be the best by far.
I added 1 gallon of 19 ppm RO water to 2 gallons of coco and tested the runoff.
botanicare cocogro - 1600 ppm
basement mix - 1300 ppm
dutchmans - 1000 ppm
canna - 150 ppm

needless to say I went with the canna.

watch out for the bugs....i stopped using canna last month for that reason. :bug

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
u had me at H&G... I wonder if it is compressed brick, i likee better seems to keep bugs at bay and easier to handel espacially if already flushed and buffered!!!!!!

Confu will be on the lookout. Good lookin out HG23.

HungryMan420

HungryMan420

Its not compressed ts bagged like Canna and i found thrips in my fresh Canna!!

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Thrips are pretty easy to get rid of.
Monterey garden insect spray. The active ingredient is spinosad, works great.

opt1c

opt1c

a lot of times it depends on where the distributors store their soil; sometimes the shop is the culprit... but i'm not sure if the bugs come in the bag; except for gnats in the canna terra; i guess they came inside the bark but thats a different story

fwiw i use biobizz cocomix and i've never had issues with bugs or burning pants... i don't pre rinse my coco either... i don't have time for that which is why i buy bags and not bricks

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Its not compressed ts bagged like Canna and i found thrips in my fresh Canna!!

Im out. I dont care who it's bagged by I won't go back. Bricked is the way to go to avoid bugs.

I Like crop circles for chunky and NF for pithy.

Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
^^^ so above was my last post in this subject and i jus wanted to tell everybody i lied!
I went to my hydro store and they did t have my bricked coco and i needed to transplant asap so i broke down and bought the h&g coco. Its very clean! Put one cup of coco to 3cups of ro water and it came out at 60 ppm! Now i jus hope it doesnot have bugs!

Confu

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
^^^ so above was my last post in this subject and i jus wanted to tell everybody i lied!
I went to my hydro store and they did t have my bricked coco and i needed to transplant asap so i broke down and bought the h&g coco. Its very clean! Put one cup of coco to 3cups of ro water and it came out at 60 ppm! Now i jus hope it doesnot have bugs!

Confu
Keep us posted.

Georgekush22

Georgekush22

Im about to finish off a run using H&G and so far I have no complaints.

K

kushsmoker30

H&G coco is like canna coco pre rinsed n clean, except H&G's coco is 250-350 ppm's out the bag n canna is like 100-150. the 350 ppm's in H&G is a low amount of food 4 young transplants, canna n H&G coco r the best on the market.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
The main reason keeping me from using h&g is its moisture content. I use a lot of coco and there is a big weight difference between the two. Also I feel like a moist medium invites pests from elsewhere. My shop gave me a couple bags to try out but until results are in I'm sticking with canna as they cost about the same.

TokinWhiteGuy

TokinWhiteGuy

Im using Nutrifield Premium mixed with about 30% chunky perlite. Comes prebuffered, no pests, very little to no salt content. 20$ per 50l. I was told by my local hydro shop that it was the best thing on the market when it came to coco? Hope all works out for you! Good luck!! TWG

K

kushsmoker30

i ran a bag of H&G in a room of canna coco, n from what i seen i didn't notice any diff in results. i did notice it was more moist then canna in the bag, but in pots it seemed n dried out bout the same...in other words if i need coco i'll get H&G if no canna is avil or if 1's cheaper then the other

Top Bottom