Anyone tried Heptane extraction?

• Thread starter JustAnotherHead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JustAnotherHead

I was told this is even cleaner/better than using Butane. I've been using Vector but the cheapest I can find it locally is $8.75 a can. FML!

I read that Heptane works great. I had a hard time finding it until I found a product called Bestine Rubber Cement thinner. Basically it's nHeptane.

Thing is it's not pressurized like Butane, it's liquid. I put some in my extraction tube and let it run out, it evaporated nearly as fast as butane and the oil is a nice honey/butter color. I'm afraid to smoke it though. heh.

C

cali Green

iono thinner is some heavy shit man..
You ever try to buy it by the box? 12 in a box and local small smoke shop gives it to me at 5bucks a pop=60dollars

and if you on a big scale the case is were the deal is at. but i stick to a box

Graywolf

Graywolf

I was told this is even cleaner/better than using Butane. I've been using Vector but the cheapest I can find it locally is $8.75 a can. FML!

I read that Heptane works great. I had a hard time finding it until I found a product called Bestine Rubber Cement thinner. Basically it's nHeptane.

Thing is it's not pressurized like Butane, it's liquid. I put some in my extraction tube and let it run out, it evaporated nearly as fast as butane and the oil is a nice honey/butter color. I'm afraid to smoke it though. heh.

Heptane is non polar and makes a good extraction, but with its longer chain molecule and 100C/212F boiling point, it is harder to purge than Hexane

deep buddy

deep buddy

hmm i have used bestine to re-x deems ill have to try it for an oil extract. what would be the best way to purge it graywolf? would a hand vac be enough?

Graywolf

Graywolf

hmm i have used bestine to re-x deems ill have to try it for an oil extract. what would be the best way to purge it graywolf? would a hand vac be enough?

Time, temperature, and atmospheric pressure are the variables. Increase the first two and lower the last for fastest results. I would use 180F, so that the oil stays molten, and a hard vacuum, keeping the pool depth shallow relative to its surface area (~1/8"/3/16").

I would think if it is a small amount and you have good hands, a hand pump might work, but I would recommend something more relaxing. You might take a look at water faucet vacuum aspirators, which can pull up to -28.5 mm/hg and cost under $20.

You can also boil it off or use time and just out wait it.

It boils at around 209F, so adding ethanol and water and cooking that off, raises the temperature above heptanes boiling point. In a boiling liquid, all the molecules are darting about, and the exiting water and alcohol molecules, helps the heptane along.

If you keep it on a ~140/150F heating pad and blow air across it, it will also purge with time, but it picks up dust in a dusty climate. You can stretch cheese cloth across it before blowing and reduce that somewhat.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hey graywolf do you think a mod could be done to this iso2 where a vaccuum could be added say where the activated charcoal is and perhaps add a reduced bp extraction under vaccuum, as it is distilling and extracting so its done hot and reduced pressure speeds the process?

The heat exchanger is probably too thin for the amount of surface area, to withstand much vacuum.

Top Bottom