Anyone tried this?

• Thread starter Danoid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Danoid

Danoid

Found a real good spot in the uplands so I took a page from the Rev's play book and buried a 1/2 bale of Alfalfa grass under a foot or rich topsoil with 4 cups greensand. For shits and giggles I put 2 dozen red wigglers in each hole(used 4 bales). Can I add any thing else to it? From what I read this method should be plug and play. Thanks in advance for any input

Danoid

Danoid

This
It is a wonderful supplment takes time to work though. It is better the second crop if you recycle your soil or plant in the same hole year after year.

R

RareDanknessRep

What's the soil like up there? More clay-like, or more sandy? You can't really hurt it - top dress it with some active compost to get it lively on the micro level - I also like using neem seed meal - adds a small amount of Nitrogen and helps repel pests and animals. The alfalfa is about 2.5-1-1 - greensand will cover slow release Potassium - might add some bone meal for slow-release Phosphorus if you don't plan on hitting it with any teas. Depending on the soil, some azomite for micros/trace minerals, and humic acids (especially if you don't have compost handy for top-dressing)

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

That sounds like a good start,maybe add some dolomite lime,gypsum and maybe even some soft rock phosphate as well!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Found a real good spot in the uplands so I took a page from the Rev's play book and buried a 1/2 bale of Alfalfa grass under a foot or rich topsoil with 4 cups greensand. For shits and giggles I put 2 dozen red wigglers in each hole(used 4 bales). Can I add any thing else to it? From what I read this method should be plug and play. Thanks in advance for any input
I've just started something similar, but I'm using straw bales left on the ground, a half-assed lasagna compost bed. Thing is, the bales got rained on and they've sprouted. Kinda cool. I don't need to add worms, I've already got plenty of native wigglers. I might also add something more for Ca, I don't think greensand is enough.

Bone meal is guaranteed to attract raccoons. So will anything made from fish. I speak from experience here, they're little FUCKS who dig everything up to get to nothing. I would use any mineral source of P, and only add back K if you think your native soil is deficient.

You could also cover crop it for the winter season, perhaps some clover, or legumes suitable to your region? Cover crops will help get microbes going that much more quickly, offering homes, etcetera, as well as adding in some atmospheric nitrogen. When I planted my first bean crop I did use rhizobium (or whatever the bacteria are that they need), but I forgot to use it with the second section I planted and both grew just as well. ANY dried bean that isn't split can be planted and it will sprout, too.

O

odkin

I might consider this if you plant the bales one spring, and put your plants in the following. I'd be worried the hole would be too hot first year.

Top Bottom