Anyone try 15 on 15 off veg?

• Thread starter Montananana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Montananana

Dumb if you have a large veg but was wondering the power savings if I had done t5s and did a 15 on 15 off timer all day. Anyone try it?

I know about gas lantern but have no interest in it. Thanks in advance

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Ive never heard of this...
I think 15 hours of dark would cause the plants to flower though
Why no interest in the "interrupted" light cycle?
you could get away with just 13 hours of lights on..

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
or did you mean 15 minutes?

If your plants get more than 11 hours of uninterrupted darkness,
They will flower

M

Montananana

No I mean minutes. Like a cycle timer on a cloner but for your lights 24/7. Would give light all day but cut power in half, ya know?

M

Montananana

How will they suffer? What will they lack?

Please explain

How will cutting something in half not save?? I'm confused

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
No I mean minutes. Like a cycle timer on a cloner but for your lights 24/7. Would give light all day but cut power in half, ya know?
Very interesting!..I have no idea..but im intrested..

I wonder if thats hard on the t5 ballasts though?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
and do T5 ballasts use more power when starting?

B

Buzzbait

I don't think your plants will be as healthy thus loseing yield and really aT5 is pretty cheap to run unless your running 10 or so...Im going to say the power surges ever time they kick on thus using more power and its probably not good on your T5 ballast...hey give it a try but Im sticking with what I know works

M

Montananana

No t5 flouros ballasts are strong as gas, that would be the least of my worries to e honest.... Just curious about change in growth rates and such

M

Montananana

I don't think your plants will be as healthy thus loseing yield and really aT5 is pretty cheap to run unless your running 10 or so...
I agree but I don't think a "sweeping under the rug" answer will suffice what is intriguing me. Thanks for the help though.

What does everyone else think?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

yeah man, i think maybe you're thinking about this in the wrong light, as it were.

what i mean is that you maybe should focus more on providing an optimal environment for your plants and less on what things cost, personally, i would run my veg lights 24/7 unless the growth was too vigorous for my flower op to support., after all, more light equal more bud, or so they say.

...sometimes you can get lost in the weeds thinking about details bra, you'll never get things perfect so learning to relax is essential.

...so maybe forget trying to figure out how to save pennies and remember that you are growing dollars, learn how to grow more of them and the pennies will take care of themselves.

peace, bozo

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...your equipment will suffer, powering up and powering down are the most stressful time for your equipment, will electrical savings be enough to cover equipment replacement costs?

peace, bozo

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Fwiw, I always look at plants indoor and try my best to replicate their natural environment (outdoor). Plants have been around way longer then humans but for some crazy reason we think we can grow a plant better than nature. 15mins on and off is not practical in the real world. Also its much harder on ur light fixture. Ur light would much rather fire up and run constantly rather than a constant on and off in short intervals. So my conclusion is that its going to stress ur plant and ur light fixture. Bad news bears. But just my opinion - I'm no expert here ;)

M

Montananana

It's t5 flouro ballasts not hid. Think about a censored light, goes on and off 500 times, even on your front porch so why would that be different?

It's more or less optimization bozo, my environment is perfect but the only way to find new ways is to find them right? Hence the post and question. If you had 4 8 bulb t5s that's 1600 watts 24 a day. If it could be made 12 w the same outcome wouldn't that sound good? Same power could be used for more flower lighting and such.

donmekka

donmekka

T5's suck to begin and then 15 on 15 off they're gonna stretch like a mofo bro. And theres no way you gonna get the same results with 1600watts vs 1200 NO matter what

M

Montananana

Fwiw, I always look at plants indoor and try my best to replicate their natural environment (outdoor). Plants have been around way longer then humans but for some crazy reason we think we can grow a plant better than nature. 15mins on and off is not practical in the real world. Also its much harder on ur light fixture. Ur light would much rather fire up and run constantly rather than a constant on and off in short intervals. So my conclusion is that its going to stress ur plant and ur light fixture. Bad news bears. But just my opinion - I'm no expert here ;)
Thanks for the reply. I feel it's the opposite for indoor, because you can create a 1000% more suitable environment inside as to outside, so I don't think we really try and replicate outdoors. No rain, no storms, no strong wind, buts pests and disease is all from the growers therein, if we were imitating outdoor people would be dropping temps 20+ at night to replicate nature right? But we don't, because we have found more suitable ways IME.

Of course I could be wrong, but I can logically see this way being 100x better than the gas lantern tech, and that seems to work

M

Montananana

T5's suck to begin and then 15 on 15 off they're gonna stretch like a mofo bro. And theres no way you gonna get the same results with 1600watts vs 1200 NO matter what
Man why are you guys so opinionated? So you're saying someone with a more dialed regimen w 1200 watts can't produce the same as someone w 1800? Regardless of food setup training style and all???

Man II don't buy that for a second

Top Bottom