Anyone use Canada goose droppings as fertilizer?

• Thread starter shnuckles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

shnuckles

Any one use canada goose dropping as fertilizer? I did a bit of resurch...Apparently its good to use?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Any one use canada goose dropping as fertilizer? I did a bit of resurch...Apparently its good to use?
Droppings sounds so neat.......Goose shit is more of a slicky than droppings from what I've seen, it seems to kill the grass on golf greens. Then there's collecting it......nope its not going in my plants......

S

shnuckles

It burns golf course because its a "hot" fertilizer. Goose poop is the same size as small dog poop. Healthy goose poop will be grreen with a white tip. The white in the poop is the urine/nitrogen. You can collect it dried on hot days. Goose poop....From my resurch is very high in potassium. One of the highest sources of potassium in the animal kingdom.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
It burns golf course because its a "hot" fertilizer. Goose poop is the same size as small dog poop. Healthy goose poop will be grreen with a white tip. The white in the poop is the urine/nitrogen. You can collect it dried on hot days. Goose poop....From my resurch is very high in potassium. One of the highest sources of potassium in the animal kingdom.
Great, its still not going in my plants, I use a complete line and adding this that or the other just fks things up...never mind chasing after geese, There's a guy here using bunny shit and pee another using his goat shit......you're the first goose guy I've seen

A

Alwispy

Gee what about deer shit , it’s Everywhere ! I could be rich🤑
then there’s dog shit too , hmmm maybe onto something here. 🤓

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
!!WARNING!!

Avian flu
AKA; bird flu

Is real and as far as I’ve been told by the Oregon department fish and game is widely spread by Canadian geese.

This is the real deal, you can get it by being exposed to infected birds and there droppings

Recently had a infected Canadian bird in my front yard I had to put down because it was infected. Don’t worry though your dog can’t get it but can spread it if they enjoy the delicacy of bird poop:)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Bird flu
Also called: H5N1, avian influenza

Main Results​

Description​

Strains of the influenza virus that primarily infect birds, but can also infect humans.
This type of flu is most often contracted by contact with sick birds. It can also be passed from person to person.

hillbil

hillbil

!!WARNING!!

Avian flu
AKA; bird flu

Is real and as far as I’ve been told by the Oregon department fish and game is widely spread by Canadian geese.

This is the real deal, you can get it by being exposed to infected birds and there droppings

Recently had an infected Canadian bird in my front yard I had to put down because it was infected. Don’t worry though your dog can’t get it but can spread it if they enjoy the delicacy of bird poop:)
Very thoughtful

S

shnuckles

I shoot about 50 a season alongside other hunters. And come in contact with hundreds more during hunting season. Not that worried.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I shoot about 50 a season alongside other hunters. And come in contact with hundreds more during hunting season. Not that worried.
I only found out a few years ago that they aren’t protected up here anymore. Had no idea.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Those are the birds you don’t have to worry about, there not sick.
Sick ones can’t fly. They just poop:)

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Yes sir they absolutely are I use them as a part of my fall leaf compost. This compost has been a big part of my soil mix outdoors. I wouldn't use it raw it needs to be broken down but then it's magic. I also get alot of swan poop this time of year. They just so happen to mate down the street at the lake inlet.

Screenshot 20230402 180815 Gallery
Screenshot 20230402 181657 Gallery
T

taliadillydalia

Yes sir they absolutely are I use them as a part of my fall leaf compost. This compost has been a big part of my soil mix outdoors. I wouldn't use it raw it needs to be broken down but then it's magic. I also get alot of swan poop this time of year. They just so happen to mate down the street at the lake inlet.

I'd be really cautious with using their guano for fertilizer. They carry zoonotic parasites. https://www.ehc.edu/live/blurbs/121...oeba histolytica,geese that can infect humans.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I compost it it's fine 🙂 I bet you wouldn't like seeing the maggots in my compost bin eating it 🤣 seriously I have done this for years. I tried it in our flower beds with amazing results. I even mixed it with crabapple wood chips for a 2year black gold 🥰

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

With that being said in my area it's a problem on the walk paths at the lake. I live blocks from the lake where I walk my dogs as well as the rest of the community. Nobody was doing anything but blowing them Into the lake. Making a huge alge problem so I thought what would I do with it. And this was my solution to the problem.

T

taliadillydalia

I compost it it's fine 🙂 I bet you wouldn't like seeing the maggots in my compost bin eating it 🤣 seriously I have done this for years. I tried it in our flower beds with amazing results. I even mixed it with crabapple wood chips for a 2year black gold 🥰
I've looked into raising Black soldier fly larvae and know changing their diet can improve or otherwise change their nutrient output. If maggots are processing it, it might actually cut down on protozoan transmission. Not sure.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

I've looked into raising Black soldier fly larvae and know changing their diet can improve or otherwise change their nutrient output. If maggots are processing it, it might actually cut down on protozoan transmission. Not sure.
Trust me I make it sound easy but it's alot of work to make good compost. I started reading using bokashi for years just spending 100buck a year or so. Until the world stopped and I didn't have the money for this I looked into making my own. That's when I stumbled upon Chris Trump and his YouTube channel. I started making my own lab's and ferments. This has been a absolute game changer for me. With the labs and IMO I get much faster break down along with the flies and worms.
Composting was a great learning experience for me personally.

Top Bottom