Anyone used pest control cloth on plants ?

• Thread starter sicoroot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sicoroot

Hello growers, I'm planning my outdoor grow for next spring summer and I have this idea for pest control.

Last summer I had found a lot of worms inside the buds, eating and pooping and rotting away the flowers. I'd say they ruined a 15% of my harvest, I still had a good amount of flowers but it was very annoying seeing it happen and also clean out the mold that generates from rotting flowers.

I've been thinking of creating a boxed type of frame around the plant, leaving enough room for growth ( width and height ), and wrap the frame with a white pest control cloth to prevent the white butterflies ( the ones I've seen around the plant that I found out to be the origin of the worms ) to reach the plant.
I guess that it should work but I was wondering if anyone had tried a similar pest control technique or used better ones ?
Any issue you see with this, apart the extra work of making it and a more complicated access to the plant...I'd probably have to create a couple of flap opening to reach the plant for pruning etc

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Might work. As long as it doesn’t filter out too much sunlight! In my opinion, if it worked that well, you would see a lot of people doing it already!

S

sicoroot

Might work. As long as it doesn’t filter out too much sunlight! In my opinion, if it worked that well, you would see a lot of people doing it already!
yes good point, it's not the most practical so I guess this might be an obstacle for some. Or maybe this pest is not an issue for them, I have seen it used of other plants to protect them from birds, bugs etc. The worms I find comes form the White Large Butterfly, I thought that if I'm able to prevent the butterfly to stop and deposit eggs on the flowers I should be on a good track...

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
By all means, give it a try. Only one way to find out. 15% is tolerable. I don’t like fucking with my sunlight. I am a fan of isolating, the plant away from other plants and total darkness at night. But that’s not always possible.

cpurola

cpurola

yes good point, it's not the most practical so I guess this might be an obstacle for some. Or maybe this pest is not an issue for them, I have seen it used of other plants to protect them from birds, bugs etc. The worms I find comes form the White Large Butterfly, I thought that if I'm able to prevent the butterfly to stop and deposit eggs on the flowers I should be on a good track...
Good idea. My concern is you'd be keeping the beneficial bugs out too. And cutting down the air circulation. It would be worth a try on a couple of plants, if you could spare them.
If you do it, please let us know if it works.

Top Bottom