Anyone with T5's on the walls?

• Thread starter BCrocker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BCrocker

BCrocker

I have heard of some guys running T5's on the walls of their flower rooms. Mainly with limited plant numbers, so there is light all around. Anyone have any pics of this?

jagle

jagle

you just mean extra supplemental lighting?

thing with cfls's is they are only good within a few inchs of the plant, so as close as possible to the plants

ttystikk

ttystikk

I suppose it could help, but it needs to be close, and kept cool.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I have a friend that has been doing this for awhile and he swears by it,he runs 6-600s and 4-6 bulb t5badboys on the walls(sides)of his garden,me ill stick with my 1000s.

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

I run at least 12 T-8's as side lighting in 2 banks of 6 bulbs in 5000-K in the Vertical position and another 4 bulbs Horizontally for lighting on 3 sides plus above . A Daily 1/4 turn of the plants & they love it .

Although I don't have any Pic's I am Well Pleased with the outcome top to bottom . It does bulk up the lower & side buds nicely . I use the T-8's because of Cost effectiveness of both power consumption & Initial co$t . Wally World has a 2 bulb T-8 fixture for under $10 & a case of T-8's (12) can be had at a good price at the Home Improvement box stores .

So for approx $125 you can bask yer girls in a total top to bottom lighting that yer 1st harvest will more than Offset the co$t .

Good Luck & Happy Growing ,,,

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Also, when using cfls / t5 s along side hid lighting, the cfls do not need to be as close as when using on their own.

Infact they can be placed at just a little lower than the hps.

Reason being is there is a law to which I can never remember the name, that basically states lower intensity light gets amplified or carried along with the wavelengths from the higher intensity lamps - the hps. Thus you can gain all the added benefits of the increased spectrum and still add no real heat to the canopy.

It also helps with some systems I've seen where the cfls are actually blocking / shading some of the hps light.

One of the best runs I have ever done was using 2 x125 w cfl along side a 400 hps. All at the same Hieght. Great results. Infact if you have looked up mns ssh you will have undoubtedly seen the plant shots as shanti still uses them for ssh pos material.

I'll try and dig up the name of that law.

J

jczam

I believe your talking about the inverse square law

From Wikipedia; The intensity (or illuminance or irradiance) of light or other linear waves radiating from a point source (energy per unit of area perpendicular to the source) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source; so an object (of the same size) twice as far away, receives only one-quarter the energy (in the same time period).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

J

jczam

MT you're def right, talking about a diff law. I have no idea what herbalizor is talking about - I hope they find that law bc I would really like to read up on that.
I know that for instance that 3-600w HIDs deliver more light than say 2-1000w HIDs but I've never heard of "lower intensity light gets amplified or carried along with the wavelengths from the higher intensity lamps" - very interesting stuff.

darkmatter

darkmatter

mines usally just leanin on the wall unplugged, it still comes in handy i kinda think everybody needs one.

H

hogan400

Hey BC,
The only guy I know doing any side lighting does it in all his rooms actually. His veg he does 2, 400 halides w 4 bulb t-5 fixtures each side and they bush out nicely however he has to rotate plants often because they grow lopsided

In bloom he does vert soil containers with 6 bulb t-5 fixtures on the wall. At waist level and it really fills his popcorn out nicely. The last time we talked he was wanting to switch to 600 hps on the side walls... simply because he really finds value in side lighting. I will say that I see side lighting more now than ever man. He does produce well too.

Top Bottom