Aphid treatments for flowering plants

• Thread starter 3littlebirds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

3littlebirds

How do you treat aphids on weed plants? Are there any natural non harmful sprays I can use to get rid of aphids during flowering? I have diatomaceous earth on the soil but these aphids are on my leaves. I don't believe these are root aphids. I'm so close to harvest and I'm bummed at seeing these guys multiplying. Potted plants outdoors. Temps daytime are about 15 to 20° ,nighttime around 5 to 10°. Very wet outside most mornings until noon when I hope the sun comes out. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Burned Haze

In flower stage Only (past 3-4th week of bloom) Venerate xc than rotate every 2-3 days Botanigard 22 wp like dirt
If you were in veg stage still, azaguard would suggested as well ( stops reproduction and makes thems zombies ), pyganic 5.0 would would be a good knockout as well

Add a wetting agent ( I would use yucca )

Last edited by a moderator:

3littlebirds

Get your self some Ladybugs.
Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂 I had ladybugs and mantis when the temps were higher but they're gone now. I dont have much attractant vegetation. I live in Northern Ontario, Canada. Temps are getting colder. Maybe it's too cold for lady bugs and mantis.

3littlebirds

Botanigard. But it takes a week or so to kill them and it's very expensive. Depending how close you are to harvest it might not be worth it, unless you've got a lot to lose.
I only have 4 plants. I plan 9n growing more but indoors. Would this be worth it?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I only have 4 plants. I plan 9n growing more but indoors. Would this be worth it?

Unless you have a pesticide applicator certificate and license for purchasing registered greenhouse pesticides, you cant buy it in Canada anyway. In fact, in flower you're kinda in a pickle, not much you can legally purchase that will work safely in flower besides ladybugs.

Bema

Bema

Hey 3
I'm new to growing cannabis but an old hand in the garden. I used a few drops of dish washing up liquid in a spray bottle filled with water, not too strong, and it gets rid of aphids on vegetables and roses pretty quickly.
Search for aphids vegetables and you'll find all kinds of solutions

good luck
Crow.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also just want to point out, spraying a flowering plant near the end with ANYTHING outdoors when temps are dropping, is just asking for budrot. I'd ride it out, if they're almost done anyway you wont gain much by killing them now, and you seriously risk rotting your plants. Keep them dry as possible when temps drop in the fall..
If temps are dropping to 5-10 celcius at night the aphids wont be around for long anyway, and realistically, neither will your plant. Below 10 celcius at night severely slows down plant metabolism.

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

I'm dealing with aphids for the first time. Outdoor plants. I don't like to spray my plants with anything stronger than Neem, and I won't even use that during flower. I've been doing two things. One is a peroxide spray (about a teaspoon and a half per 30 oz), but it's hard to say if its doing anything (although plants seem to love it). The other is manually searching the underside of the leaves and giving them a rub if there are bugs. I am mainly an indoor grower so I HATE the idea of anything being on my plants, but I've got to say I don't think the aphids have really hurt me.

chemistry

chemistry

Are there any natural non harmful sprays I can use to get rid of aphids on my flowering lady? I have diatomaceous earth on the soil but these aphids are on my leaves. I don't believe these are root aphids. I'm so close to harvest and I'm bummed at seeing these guys multiplying. Potted plants outdoors. Temps daytime are about 15 to 20° ,nighttime around 5 to 10°. Very wet outside most mornings until noon when I hope the sun comes out. Thank you!

Can you stick a pic up of the bugs on the plant, or the damage.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Lot's of good product suggestions here.

Just to point out from my experienece with this:

DE - wont work, don't even try using it on the buds- you dont wanna enhale that stuff.

Biological control (predatory insects)
- aint my cup of tea, i've used it more that a couple of times. bare in mind- those creatures must have ideal climate/environment in order tobe effective- if you're not a pro, IMO dont use it, additionaly, the insect war takes time, if you're too close to harvest it wont have any effect.

Sope, or any conventional ag product (not aimed for cannabis)- watch out with all these reccomendations- Cannabis flower is not a tomato! couple of critical differences- 1. you wash the tomato before eating it, you don't do this with a bud (i hope).
2. the phisical uniqueness of the plant makes the bud very easy to contaminate, pesticides reaches the inner parts of the bud and stays there.

My 2 cents, if you're close enough to harvest, do nothing (other than praying).

Goodluck

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Unless you have a pesticide applicator certificate and license for purchasing registered greenhouse pesticides, you cant buy it in Canada anyway. In fact, in flower you're kinda in a pickle, not much you can legally purchase that will work safely in flower besides ladybugs.

I don't know how easy it is up in the maple syrup north but here it can all be done online for about 100 bucksish. Worth it just to avoid any hassles also a really good chunk of info about labeling ect that a lot of people don't seem to know.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I don't know how easy it is up in the maple syrup north but here it can all be done online for about 100 bucksish. Worth it just to avoid any hassles also a really good chunk of info about labeling ect that a lot of people don't seem to know.

Yeah, its not that easy here, even online. No Candian vendors sell it and no US companies will ship it here. They got ridiculous with pesticide registering and licensing up here a few years back. Thankfully I DO have a pesticide license for work so it doesnt affect me, but most Canadians are really limited to what we can buy for pesticides.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Yeah, its not that easy here, even online. No Candian vendors sell it and no US companies will ship it here. They got ridiculous with pesticide registering and licensing up here a few years back. Thankfully I DO have a pesticide license for work so it doesnt affect me, but most Canadians are really limited to what we can buy for pesticides.

From what I have seen over the years that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Aphids are easily controlled with a 1 or 2 tsp per gallon of dish soap in a gallon sprayer. Spray directly wherever you see the aphids, repeat in three days to get the newly hatched aphids. You can later rinse with plain water spray which washes any residual soap plus the dead aphids away.
If you don’t want anything on the buds, you can still give a hard spray with water which washes many aphids away. Better than doing nothing, especially considering the rate they can multiply when left unattended.

W

Wilbo

Are there any natural non harmful sprays I can use to get rid of aphids on my flowering lady? I have diatomaceous earth on the soil but these aphids are on my leaves. I don't believe these are root aphids. I'm so close to harvest and I'm bummed at seeing these guys multiplying. Potted plants outdoors. Temps daytime are about 15 to 20° ,nighttime around 5 to 10°. Very wet outside most mornings until noon when I hope the sun comes out. Thank you!
Last year, my outdoor plants were covered in aphids; hundreds if not thousands. This year, I got closer to my plants. In the spring, during about a ten day period, I found between 12-15 aphids, wingless on my plants. one or two, three at a time. As they were wingless, and I haven't studied their life cycle, I am not sure where they came from-but, and they were gone, and did not come back. A large field would require considerable doings, of course- I have six plants. I moved them off (I tried to let them go alive), and have had no problems all season. None (no aphids). I dunno; it worked...peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom