Aphid treatments for flowering plants

• Thread starter 3littlebirds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Wilbo

Last year, my outdoor plants were covered in aphids; hundreds if not thousands. This year, I got closer to my plants. In the spring, during about a ten day period, I found between 12-15 aphids, wingless on my plants. one or two, three at a time. As they were wingless, and I haven't studied their life cycle, I am not sure where they came from-but, and they were gone, and did not come back. A large field would require considerable doings, of course- I have six plants. I moved them off (I tried to let them go alive), and have had no problems all season. None (no aphids). I dunno; it worked...peace
P.s. They are potted.

W

Wilbo

P.s. They are potted.
I just picked them off every day, until they stopped showing up (sorry about the lack of explanation here). When I find any insect except grasshoppers, I leave them be. None so far have tried to start a family...: -) Grasshoppers, I let munch a little, then shoo them off.

3littlebirds

Unless you have a pesticide applicator certificate and license for purchasing registered greenhouse pesticides, you cant buy it in Canada anyway. In fact, in flower you're kinda in a pickle, not much you can legally purchase that will work safely in flower besides ladybugs.
Thanks for the heads up. Now I have these off white worms about a half centimeter in size. I'm finding on my leaves and one on the outside of my plant pot. Trying to identify them. I see some poop but nothing in buds. Gah! My poor girls. They've put up a good fight. Picking off leaves once a day. Shaking my girls and spraying with a hand pump power wash of soap/water mix. Then I had my leaves dry and edges turn brown. 🤦‍♀️ Plugged in a fan outside during the day and put sticky yellow strips near soil and base of plant. Thanks for all the awesome advice. Hoping to harvest and savage some if it.

3littlebirds

Aphids are easily controlled with a 1 or 2 tsp per gallon of dish soap in a gallon sprayer. Spray directly wherever you see the aphids, repeat in three days to get the newly hatched aphids. You can later rinse with plain water spray which washes any residual soap plus the dead aphids away.
If you don’t want anything on the buds, you can still give a hard spray with water which washes many aphids away. Better than doing nothing, especially considering the rate they can multiply when left unattended.
I sprayed with 1 tsp of dawn blue dish soap to 2 liters of water at sundown. Next day leaves were curling and going dark at edges. Next day worse. Today worse again. Some of the hairs look more brown after spraying as well.🤦‍♀️ I sprayed with a hand pump power wash. Hoping it didn't mess things up and I can salvage some if these 4 girls. Now I find these off white worms on my leaves and outer part of my plant pot. No idea what they are. About half centimeter long. Picking and hoping they aren't budworms.
20190920 095513

3littlebirds

Thanks for the heads up. Now I have these off white worms about a half centimeter in size. I'm finding on my leaves and one on the outside of my plant pot. Trying to identify them. I see some poop but nothing in buds. Gah! My poor girls. They've put up a good fight. Picking off leaves once a day. Shaking my girls and spraying with a hand pump power wash of soap/water mix. Then I had my leaves dry and edges turn brown. 🤦‍♀️ Plugged in a fan outside during the day and put sticky yellow strips near soil and base of plant. Thanks for all the awesome advice. Hoping to harvest and savage some if it.
20190920 095513

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

A hint for next year..
Plant some sacrificial plants downwind of where you will plant your Cannabis. The aphids will happily devour them and hopefully avoid your crop.
Also watch out for ants! Believe it or not, they farm aphids, and that you don't need!

Fox223

Fox223

I had great luck in the past using one or two teaspoons of Dr. Bronners peppermint Castile soap mixed in a gallon of warm water and sprayed with a garden sprayer. Apply just before dark cycle. Reapply about three days after first application to kill off any remaining or emergent aphids. Test it on a low branch on sensitive strains.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I sprayed with 1 tsp of dawn blue dish soap to 2 liters of water at sundown. Next day leaves were curling and going dark at edges. Next day worse. Today worse again. Some of the hairs look more brown after spraying as well.🤦‍♀️ I sprayed with a hand pump power wash. Hoping it didn't mess things up and I can salvage some if these 4 girls. Now I find these off white worms on my leaves and outer part of my plant pot. No idea what they are. About half centimeter long. Picking and hoping they aren't budworms. View attachment 897545

Dawn is a detergent, not a soap. I should have elaborated, I am sorry. Wash the plant down now with tap water to rinse dawn residue. The curling, rusting leaves won’t fix but the new growth will be unaffected . Again, I’m sorry if my advice did not work out for you.

W

Wilbo

A hint for next year..
Plant some sacrificial plants downwind of where you will plant your Cannabis. The aphids will happily devour them and hopefully avoid your crop.
Also watch out for ants! Believe it or not, they farm aphids, and that you don't need!
Aphids this year showed up as wingless singles, for a period of about ten days, one at a time, and as I am paying full close and gentle attention to my plants this year (all 6, here in Colorado-potted in 3.5 gallons), I discovered when I simply removed them and put them elsewhere, carefully, after about ten days, no more were found, and they did not proliferate; I have none, nada, all season. I do have to shoo grasshoppers from time to time; if they are just sunning, I watch them and let them be for a while. I let them have a snack if they are eating, and then shoo them. I have discovered various insects on my plants, from time to time, and I leave them alone; katydid, various beetles, etc. (As warned by Buzzer here, beware aphid farming ants. Other ants will keep your plants free of many other insects). I would draw the line if I saw any signs of any beast proliferating; not a worry, hasn't happened, no problem). (And, I believe you meant to say "upwind"...peace)
P.s. Anything that kills insects is not a good idea to ingest; certainly combusting such a chemical/s is not a good idea- there are gut parasites that are more natural; I have concerns as cane toads were loosed to eat can beetles, and mongoose were released to kill rats, as I recall-oops. I trust you and yours are well and happy; good luck with all...peace

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Aphids this year showed up as wingless singles, for a period of about ten days, one at a time, and as I am paying full close and gentle attention to my plants this year (all 6, here in Colorado-potted in 3.5 gallons), I discovered when I simply removed them and put them elsewhere, carefully, after about ten days, no more were found, and they did not proliferate; I have none, nada, all season. I do have to shoo grasshoppers from time to time; if they are just sunning, I watch them and let them be for a while. I let them have a snack if they are eating, and then shoo them. I have discovered various insects on my plants, from time to time, and I leave them alone; katydid, various beetles, etc. (As warned by Buzzer here, beware aphid farming ants. Other ants will keep your plants free of many other insects). I would draw the line if I saw any signs of any beast proliferating; not a worry, hasn't happened, no problem). (And, I believe you meant to say "upwind"...peace)
P.s. Anything that kills insects is not a good idea to ingest; certainly combusting such a chemical/s is not a good idea- there are gut parasites that are more natural; I have concerns as cane toads were loosed to eat can beetles, and mongoose were released to kill rats, as I recall-oops. I trust you and yours are well and happy; good luck with all...peace
I am not saying this with too much conviction, but I added a Hummingbird feeder next to the plants and the bug damage this year is way less then in prior years. They are pretty cool to watch as they circle the plants/feeder before coming in for a drink. I never knew that they actually love eating insects and the nectar is more of an energy tonic. Alas here (Reno, NV) it is cold now and they have migrated away for the winter anyway, so I am on the lookout. Desert Bugs are voracious SOBs. Haven't seen them in town in a few yrs, but if you are curious; Google Mormon Crickets..the worst of the worst!

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

3littlebirds

Dawn is a detergent, not a soap. I should have elaborated, I am sorry. Wash the plant down now with tap water to rinse dawn residue. The curling, rusting leaves won’t fix but the new growth will be unaffected . Again, I’m sorry if my advice did not work out for you.
No worries. This advice was given by many growers. Live and learn. Now I know. I appreciate the input. Now to hope these worms aren't budworms or kill what's left of the bud. Lol. Next year I'll have a better set up. I may even attempt indoor this winter.

3littlebirds

These are caterpillars, Venerate XC and botaniguard 22 wp wont touch 'em.
U need to use B.t (a and k). you can still use yucca or a saponin based weting agent product to enhance efficiency.

Btw, why are you double posting dude?😕 its confusing...

My apologies. I had thought the other post was deleted. Im new here and trying to get the hang of this site. I have massive head injuries and one of the many long term problems is when looking at a website trying to compartmentalize what I'm looking at so its not all jumbled in my head. It's tough to explain. It's like having static in your head constantly. I'll try to be more focused and only post one question per
Can you stick a pic up of the bugs on the plant, or the damage.
Sorry. I had meant to but it wouldn't load. Now my leaves are singed to all brown and dealing with worms. I think I'll just have to ride it out and set up my grow site better next year. Thanks for the help.

cruzin

cruzin

I had aphids a couple times this summer and used dawn dish soap diluted with water in one of them pump up sprayers killed them.

3littlebirds

Anyone think of de earth? Just dont dust the flower.
Thanks Edinburgh
I've been applying DE every few days. It's been rainy and no wind for 4 days so it's a challenge. I also singed my plants using the soap/water mix. 🤦‍♀️ I have about a wk b4 harvest and I'm just going to give them today's sun. Then most likely harvest it. See what happens. Live and learn. Lol. Everyone has been so helpful. I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom