aphids on the roots

• Thread starter vonwolfen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I have aphids on the roots of most(all soon) of my new clones. They are still in veg running 24 hours. They are in a Rainforest 318. So they are very hard to deal with. I have sprayed them off, used Avid ES(which is a miticide, and probably not very effective with aphids). Tried taken them off by just grabbing them. This causes more damage to the roots then the individual aphid so I stopped trying it that way. Lady bugs cant get to em because they are getting water misted at them several times a day...Any suggestions? Can I use a pesticide directly on the roots? They will be getting switched over to 2 gallon pots with hydroton(and 12/12) in 2-3 weeks.
Thanks for any help...

Aphids 025jpg
Aphids 024jpg
Aphids 023jpg
Aphids 022jpg
E

ent

They are probably fungus gnat larva.

See if you can find a biological larvacide that contains Bacillus thuringiensis. Something like gnatrol. Use it as a soak.

*edit- just remember, mosquito dunks have this. Go get some at home depot or lowes. Get a pair of your gf's panty hoes, place a mosquito dunk in it and crush it up and let it soak in your res or in your water before you water.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I was infested with these 2 weeks ago, I went to lowes got the bayer fruit and veg systemic insect killer, Its just watered down merit. I used it one time and wiped them out, I still cant find one alive and soil gnats are gone also. Im going to do a follow up to make sure before they go to the flower room.

Legion

Legion

Say hi to your new worst enemy. I'm sorry but you have 'root aphids' and they are a pain in the ass. I know guys that have thrown out all of their equipment to get rid of them... and fail..

One thing that I know works but it's hard to get is botanigard. It's not cheap and can be a bitch to find. But it works and it works well.

"Botanigard ES is a new generation mycoinsecticide that controls whiteflies,thrips,aphids,psyllids,chinch bugs and many other problematic insects with a low risk biological fungus. This fungus attacks insects where they hide and keeps killing them long after other insecticides have stopped working. Each quart comes in a handy emulsifiable supsension for easy mixing. This product is very compatible with biological insect releases."

80.00 bucks a quart though..

U

U.G.U

bayer tree and scrub gone after one application. I got them on some clones heard nightmare stories about them. Stumbled on a thread they suggested that and it worked fantastic it has the same active ing. as bayer fruit and veg that purple berry suggested but a higher concentration.

G

Geronimo

How much does the Bayer tree and scrub/ fruit and veg cost and which application method is best to get rid of root aphids. Thanks guys!

V

VapeIt

U.G.U. and or Purpleberry,

What ratio did you mix the Bayer?
I bought Tree and Shrub today.
I do not know how much to use.

I will probably make 4 gal of the mix.
4 gal lets me give each plant 2 cups of the mix.
Does that sound like enough?
They are in 5 and 4 gal containers.
I am in the 4th week of 12/12.

Thanks.

G

Green Supreme

There is a nematode product called Nemasys. With repeated applications it can be very successful. Good luck. Peace GS

purpleberry

purpleberry

(dont take my word read the dirrection and figure it out) I used 1 oz for 10gallons of water and soaked them in like a regular watering I did do a follow up even though i still havent seen a single one. Merit is the shit, I use to use in my spray bizness and you could do a soil injection on a huge tree full of aphids and clean them all out. Theres no reason these soil aphids will be a problem to get rid of. Whats funny is there is still a few soil gnats around.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Vap i just read your post, I wouldnt use it 4 weeks in 12/12 I wouldnt use it in 12/12 at all. If they are bad maybe some azatrol will slow them down, or use some sort of other organic treatment like green supreme said. 4 weeks isnt enought time for the cemical to go away and you will be somoking it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm bumping this for the following people:
altitudefarmer
cemsChris
Cemsgirl
I hope I've spelled everyone's names properly. All these people have had some experience dealing with root aphids, and this thread, since it has these pix, might be a good sticky depending on the outcome (successful eradication).

V

VapeIt

Purpleberry,
Is Azatrol and Azamax the same?
I am on my second bottle of Azamax.

I tried Azamax, Sucrashield and Ortho Lawn and Garden.
I only just realized that they are root aphids and not fungus gnats.
I'm not saying I don't have both, but I have the aphids.

My plants are going downhill pretty fast.
For the last few weeks of veg and first 4 weeks of 12/12 I thought I was not feeding them correctly, this is my first run. Finally I took a really close look at the coco and saw them on the surface, walking, buzzing around.

Anyway, I made a serious soak with Azamax on Friday and put 1/2" of play sand on the top.

What do I need to do next?

Thanks for the help.

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

3ml-4ml pr. gal

How much does the Bayer tree and scrub/ fruit and veg cost and which application method is best to get rid of root aphids. Thanks guys!

I had the same problem bro but geronimos right this stuffs the best for it go to home depot for it its like 18 bucksfor pretty good size bottle, make sure you get the tree and shrub systemic. The best way to use it is to mix it right into you res or water.
I used it at 3ml per gallon 4ml if infestation is serious but no more than that just make sure to ph. A good tip to is to top feed while your flushing them out with the bayer and when your all done make sure to wipe he bastards out of your res if you have one to prevent as well.

U.G.U. and or Purpleberry,

What ratio did you mix the Bayer?
I bought Tree and Shrub today.
I do not know how much to use.

I will probably make 4 gal of the mix.
4 gal lets me give each plant 2 cups of the mix.
Does that sound like enough?
They are in 5 and 4 gal containers.
I am in the 4th week of 12/12.

Thanks.

Just 3 to 4ml if its real bad is enough anymore isnt needed as the plants take it in sytemicly via the roots firsts

hope that helps guys

Keep It Green-Doc :spacecraft:

V

VapeIt

DrCali,

Is there a problem using the Bayer half way through 12/12?

3mil per gal? So 12mil should be good for 4 gal?
Can I mix it in with my regular nutes for the day?

I already hand water (every 2 days) no res.
I hit them with Azamax on Friday.
Monday last week I used the Ortho.
Friday before I used the Sucrashield.

Thanks for the help.

B

Blue Balou

Imidacloprid is the actual ingredient that kills these things. Bayer tree shrub works, but I actually used merit 75 to kill em @ 1tsp per 10 gal. You can even mix it with your nutes. It even kills fungas gnats. It will wipe out those aphids 100%. There are quite a few companies that sell this product in it's generic form cheaper than Merit 75.

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCali,

Is there a problem using the Bayer half way through 12/12?

3mil per gal? So 12mil should be good for 4 gal?
Can I mix it in with my regular nutes for the day?

I already hand water (every 2 days) no res.
I hit them with Azamax on Friday.
Monday last week I used the Ortho.
Friday before I used the Sucrashield.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah you should be fine w/12 ml Ive had to do it it mid 12 as well no affect on end product.It totally wipes em out
You add it with your nutes, but i would suggest doing a extra long watering with your plants to make sure it thoroughly gets through,If you only water evry 2nd day and your in soil/coco,then i would do the same w/o the bayer next time you feed. Sorry for the late response.Good luck bro Hope this helps :happy

Keep It Green-Doc

V

VapeIt

DrCali,
Thanks for the info.
I did the Bayer on Monday. I will flush today.
I also started a new thread with pics of what happened after Friday's Azamax drench.

New thread: "Yellow leaves, aphids, gnats...need help."

Please have a look at that one, I feel like I have hijacked this thread.

R

Roshambo

to avoid using potentially harmful pesticides ive learned from experience that the combination of drying out your medium and placing fresh crushed garlic near your medium(if you use coco or soil) will drive the aphids crazy and forace a majority of the root aphids out . flushing with azatrol afterwards and introducing predatorial neematodes afterwards is a good way to prevent further aphids and kill the remaining ones.

Top Bottom