Apollo Driver

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

hey all
I have a 138w apollo led. I took it apart to clean it and was reading the stats of the driver and was a bit confused.

Apollo driver

My questions:
1-Is this a constant Current or constant voltage driver? I thought it was constant current since it says 50w but wasn't sure
2- would this driver be able to run a single (50w) cob?
3- what specs (of the cob) are needed? As in voltage/current

I don't want to destroy this ufo to build a cob, just curious if it would be an option in the future

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

I'm still pretty new in the cob game, but it looks like it will drive between 55-100v dc at .55-.6 amps or 600mA.
Not totally sure but seems like you could run 2-3 36v cobs at 550-600 mA

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

I'm still pretty new in the cob game, but it looks like it will drive between 55-100v dc at .55-.6 amps or 600mA.
Not totally sure but seems like you could run 2-3 36v cobs at 550-600 mA
Nice, for some reason I had my mind stuck on doing a single cob but the more the merrier

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm confused as well. Not really up on the Chinese language. Thats a shame since everything in my house is made there. :(

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

Nice, for some reason I had my mind stuck on doing a single cob but the more the merrier
So 550-600 mA is a very low current. In my mind you would be better off using the UFO to veg and just getting a different setup from Timber if you want to run cobs. Just my 2 cents

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

So 550-600 mA is a very low current. In my mind you would be better off using the UFO to veg and just getting a different setup from Timber if you want to run cobs. Just my 2 cents
Yeah it was more theoretical anyway. I was looking at building an single COB light awhile ago but we need to get a car and move before I can spend the sort of money it would take to make a decent light. Even if it's only $75 or so.

I was considering getting a POS $10-$20 Cob and driver combo on ebay just for the experience, I may use it for my 'non-essential' plants if I ever do end up building one... But I know you get what you pay for alot of the time

sixstring

sixstring

Those drivers would be perfect for driving 1 x vero 29-70v cob per driver or 2 x cree 36v cobs per driver.how many drivers are in that fixture?

sixstring

sixstring

there are two of em
ok so if you took each driver and ran 2 x cree 3590 on it you could have a nice lil 4 cob light that will be prob 3 x brighter than what the light was built to do ;) even 2 x vero29 @ 70 v will be bright as hell but i like the 4 cob setup for the balanced spread.if you dont want to spend big money on the best cobs in the world you could try some 36 v citizens lol.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

ok so if you took each driver and ran 2 x cree 3590 on it you could have a nice lil 4 cob light that will be prob 3 x brighter than what the light was built to do ;) even 2 x vero29 @ 70 v will be bright as hell but i like the 4 cob setup for the balanced spread.if you dont want to spend big money on the best cobs in the world you could try some 36 v citizens lol.
Great idea! Looking like I may have a new project on my hands soon

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

hey all
I have a 138w apollo led. I took it apart to clean it and was reading the stats of the driver and was a bit confused.

View attachment 682507
My questions:
1-Is this a constant Current or constant voltage driver? I thought it was constant current since it says 50w but wasn't sure
2- would this driver be able to run a single (50w) cob?
3- what specs (of the cob) are needed? As in voltage/current

I don't want to destroy this ufo to build a cob, just curious if it would be an option in the future
you need a CLU style COB with Vf-forward voltage above 55v and below 100v, however you have 550mA for power so 100v x 550mA = 55W. So you have a 50w light setup. If you want more power or watts, you will need a bigger driver with lower volts and higher mAmps. The equation is volts X Amps = Watts 100v x .55A = 55W

Top Bottom