Appeasing the children

• Thread starter Mikelej14
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mikelej14

Mikelej14

So I happened to be bringing a bag of soil in one day and my girlfriend's daughter (7 years old) started asking questions about it, and expressed an interest in gardening. So I donated some of my cheapo walmart LEDs and put together a 4 strip light bar for her to start some cucumbers and peppers under to move outside soon.

Appeasing the children
Appeasing the children 2
Appeasing the children 3
Appeasing the children 4
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Way cool!

My three year old step daughter has really grown interested (second year watching me do the garden), and now while she can't care for the plants nearly at all, she has her own bean plants. Start em young!

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Way cool!

My three year old step daughter has really grown interested (second year watching me do the garden), and now while she can't care for the plants nearly at all, she has her own bean plants. Start em young!
My girlfriends daughter saw me bringing in soil and asked about it and said she wanted to grow so we planted some peppers and cucumbers lol, she is 7.

Most recent pic i have of them lol. The cucumbers have since been moved to larger totes to move onto the patio. The peppers are still fairly small and have a shelf on the roof outside her daughters bedroom window. Will have to take some pics next time its nice out of that.

20200404 224806
Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Them cucumbers need something to climb, and maybe less water. They're a tricky vine ime. not like a lot of squashes that'll just drink and drink. Looking good though!

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Haha due to this isolation my 8 year old son never wants to put the Nintendo down.

Him and the wife his mom attempted to grow a garden last year and would not take any help from me.

Needless to say there was no fresh veggies in the fall lol.

This year I started up indoors and again he showed Intrest so I tested him and had him help me build a green house from scratch. He loved it can't wait for warmer weather so he can get outside more lol.

Seems like gardening is the only other thing he's interested in except no instant gratification and no patience. God damn fortnite is worse than crack.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Them cucumbers need something to climb, and maybe less water. They're a tricky vine ime. not like a lot of squashes that'll just drink and drink. Looking good though!
Yeah that bigger one is quite large now and has something to climb but since the temps still have been dipping into the 40s at night ive been carrying them back inside overnight till it hits 55+.. So yeah theyve been stressed i started them too early for NH weather currently, as its all over the place still

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Taking notes.

- Throw kids outside as early as possible
- Eliminate access to all digital entertainment as long as possible

I had the same problem! I threw some out to the big bed in mid march. Temps dropped to 33 a couple nights later. So, now I have six new cucumber seedlings getting started, along with a handful of pole beans because the damn PNW weather can't make up its mind. SMH.

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Taking notes.

- Throw kids outside as early as possible

I had the same problem! I threw some out to the big bed in mid march. Temps dropped to 33 a couple nights later. So, now I have six new cucumber seedlings getting started, along with a handful of pole beans because the damn PNW weather can't make up its mind. SMH.
Right lol one of my cucumbers and one of the peppers have just took off doing great but the rest are definitely stunted compared. Not entirely sure why since all same treatment at the big ones... 🤷
It freakin' snowed here 2 days ago! And been rainy and crappy for weeks like 2 days of sun total poor cucumbers hate me now lol

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Oh god her son is 9 and obssessed with fortnite. Everything we can to keep him off that mind rott... Mostly tired of hearing the screaming lol like dude its a game time to relax lol

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Haven't moved the cucumber outside yet still in my veg tent but there taking over and the vines are wrapping up everything. If it don't get warm soon I'll be starting new ones for the boy too because I might have to cull them myself lol even my tomatoes are flowering already

tobh

tobh

Supporter
oh man, you're up a creek! lol

good luck, hope you reach a bountiful harvest! please post pics as things move to more suitable conditions.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
My boy gets so excited he kicks his dresser already had yo buy him another tv he's lucky he Wasent right below it.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge gamer myself but man fortnite is all he plays. And he could play for 15hours strait. Drives me nuts all that time wasted on a game when he could be learning new stuff

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
At least with the rain lately I'm not having to buy my water any longer I got more than I'll use for a long time if it don't go bad to fast

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

Haven't moved the cucumber outside yet still in my veg tent but there taking over and the vines are wrapping up everything. If it don't get warm soon I'll be starting new ones for the boy too because I might have to cull them myself lol even my tomatoes are flowering already
Right lol this one i have is just reaching for everything in sight lol, pain in the but moving big ol tote in and out but we have some shelves on the patio with great sun light (when its nice) so i figured hey its april should be good starting them but then bam sudden rain storms and snow like wtf... Every time it gets tshirt temp they go back out. But ugh i cant wait for temps to level off some so i can just leave'm out

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Yeah with the temps during this last week days my green house had an internal temp of 30degrees. But at night it's like 1-3 degrees celcius and there in huge pots no way am I carrying them up and down stairs multiple time a a day

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

oh man, you're up a creek! lol

good luck, hope you reach a bountiful harvest! please post pics as things move to more suitable conditions.
I definitely will. I should have took some today i caught a few hours of warmth and sun today i had them out dang... Lol next chance i get ill share some.. Its nothing spectacular lol the peppers are actually in the 1gal Halloween buckets i started veg for my current 5 buds i have in 3gal fabrics now lol soon as i moved them over and had the extra buckets i mounted 5x 12w 2' LED blurples from walmart to some wood and made a quick little fixture for starting and early vegging stuff :)
Cucumbers are in large totes, they arent doing the best. I think switching from indoor starter potting soil to some outdoor homedepot Vigoro shit shocked them

Latest posts

Top Bottom