Aqua quest 1 HP Titanium Aquarium Water Chiller

• Thread starter seebobsled
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

seebobsled

Anyone have one??? any good?
Aqua Quest 1 HP Titanium Aquarium Water Chiller.
I need info please.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
I've never heard of it. Most chinese chillers are built by just a couple of companies, they just get different housings and names. Just make sure you get a warranty with it, and you might also check the box to see if it lists btu's, that will be important.

S

seebobsled

thanks it does have 1 year warranty. not sure on btu, start + run amps. I'm wating for more info from seller

1 HP Titanium Aquarium Chiller **BRAND NEW**
- 1 hp aquarium chiller
- Digital Display & temperature controller
- Fully automatic with built in thermostat (no minimum temperature)
- ONLY 110/115v 60hz
- Anti-corrosive 100% titanium heat exchanger for fresh or saltwater use
- PANASONIC compressor!
- Up to 750 gallons
- Recommended flow rate 1000-1800 gph
- Very reliable unit, quietest in all 1 HP units and easy to install

mfg. site www.aquaquestonline.com

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Probably going to output somewhere around 8,000 BTU, that's pretty common with chinese chillers. Usuallly its printed on the box. Panasonic does make a good compressor at least.

Before you buy consider the eco plus commercial 1hp, its a really good chiller for the $. Only the commercial unit though, not the aquarium eco plus chiller. Aquarium chillers don't work well under a heavy heat load, they just aren't made for it. Another good 1hp chiller for the price is a JBJ.

How much are you spending?

S

seebobsled

1 hp $859.95 for one and getting quote for two. My thought is 2 hp would cover any day but 1 hp should do most days. Redundant yes but 2 stage would cut cost when not too hot and if one failed it could strugle on one and not be down.Or get lots of ice! All chillers can fail.

on the Eco Plus commercal 1 hp is rated @ 8525 btu and found $1005.95 the 1 1/2 hp is almost 12,000 btu true ton $1220.95
Isn't the eco just an import with there name?
Isn't the r12 better performer than r410a refrigerant?
the eco also lists Japanese high quality compresser? LG or Panasonic or...

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Your right any chiller can and will fail...redundancy is always a smart move. Yes sunlight supply puts their name on the imported eco plus commercial, which happens with almost any company selling chillers in the US. I think that chillking and aqualogic are the only chillers exclusively made in the US. I thought that eco commercials used LG compressors but I could be wrong.

410 will run better at lower ambient air temperatures, it runs at a higher pressure so when it gets cold outside you still have enough pressure to operate the system. If you are using it inside you really wouldn't see any difference in the function of it. 410 is easier to get so in the future if there was a repair that needed to be done.

S

seebobsled

so r410 is good for colder but would r12 perform better in heat running at a lower pressure?

I have seen info stating btu rating will reduce if ran in high ambiant heat. Is this the r410. The window bangers with r12 seamed to still cool the air well when hot. I know r12 is fazing out but for enviorment not cause they found something better.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Its all about btu per watt when it comes to efficiency, doesn't matter what type of refrigerant that it uses. All chillers and a/c's will have lower performance at higher ambient temperatures, its harder for them to exchange heat. I personally would focus more on the btu output and energy usage and not worry about the refrigerant type. BTW the eco plus commercial that we tested was the most energy efficient chiller that I know of besides the chillkings. The eco plus 1.5 ton actually has a 1 ton compressor and outputs 1 ton of cooling...not sure why they call it 1.5.

S

seebobsled

I did not get info from the ebay auqaguy or Aqua Quest the maker so I am going with 1.5hp eco plus commercial $1310.10 out the door with price match from www.growlightexpress.com at my local hydro store.I like the fact I don't have to deal with shipping if there is problems. Also my store also said if he see's it is deffently bad the warehouse will go on his word to ship a replacement. I can't get that online or ebay I have to ship it myself and wait for an answer. I see 120 peeps on this thread so got to update this is not a proven chiller for hydro use and no responce from Aqua Quest with 3 trys.Go with know brands like Chillville said. Thanks again Chillville

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
No problem at all, I think that you will be really happy with that eco commercial. I forgot to mention another plus is that it is really quiet for a chiller that size. The only thing I don't like about them is there is a beep when it starts up. Not loud but completely unnecessary, I told them that at the last trade show they should change that. I also asked them why they didn't design the chiller to be used outdoors and they told me the factory gave them that option but the didn't feel like it was important!!! LOL, they don't have a clue but that's ok. It takes feedback from end users like myself and others to get things improved. They have a temperature controller on the chiller itself and also a remote temperature adjustment, I told them to ditch the one on the chiller and just go with the remote exclusively. Less electronics to go bad and then it can be placed outside. Regardless its still a good chiller for a good price.

They sent me the 1/2, 1, and 1.5 when they first came out to test them out, free of charge so that was cool :). We btu tested them and the btu's listed on the packing is accurate. What I didn't understand is why they use a 1 ton compressor....which actually makes 1 ton of cooling (impressive)....but they call it a 1.5 hp. I told them to relabel them 1 hp for the 1.5, and 3/4 hp for the 1 hp. This would make the most sense to me but that's not the way most chinese chillers are sized. The 1/2 hp uses a 1/2 ton compressor and makes a 1/2 ton of cooling....so its accurate as is.

Keep us posted on your install and let us know your opinion of it too. It makes a lot of sense to buy locally like you mentioned incase. That ebay retailer sounds like they could care less about the sale, and would certainly care even less about a return if necessary. Also shipping chillers, unless on a pallet, is pretty risky.

S

seebobsled

When looking at the pics which way does air flow? Does it blow out the side with the controller? Does the beep happen at power up or every cycle?Also can you put peice of tape over the beeper? or is there an easy mod not to efect the warrenty?

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
The air flows out the side the controller is on....I'm 95% sure.

Beep happens on every cycle, not sure how to kill it. Surely the buzzer is located on the circuit board inside the chiller, maybe you can put some tape there. Its pretty easy to get inside by taking off the top panel.

S

seebobsled

Hey thanks.I am setting up the equipment room making a home for the chiller with unistrut over the rez barrels. I wanted to also ruff plumb for the install. The info helps alot. I will take pics and post in Water Cooled Gardens when done!! Oh and a break.

S

seebobsled

quick update....
Well the eco plus is nice but as Chillville said that beep has to go.I will open it up today. Also the grill vibrates a little bit so adding some o-rings behind the screws that mounts it. I changed to one 55 gal barrel because the flow between the barrels was too slow and was said as not to gain alot from a larger rez. in overall power use. Just more risk for water leaks with more water in room.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
BTW I hope that you noticed the flow rate for that chiller, its pretty high. To get maximum efficiency you need to be in that suggested flow rate, I think its 1200 GPH.

If you fix the beep please let me know what you did. I'm curious!

S

seebobsled

running 5400 gph so I think that's covered. The beep is better with a little clear sealant but not gone.I don't want to mess with the board cause that would void the warrenty but thatwould solve it. Who can people contact to voice there thoughts on this chiller?

S

seebobsled

Hey Chillville

Is there a way to adjust the swing of degrees wider than 2 deg on this chiller? Add that to the list of fixes if not. It is only staying on for 2 to 3 min. every 5 to 10 min between cycles. I hooked up my temp controller to turn the power on n off. Now 6 min. swing and stays on maybe 4 min. and off for 15 to 20 min. but the unit should be adjustable without my controller! Thanks again for all the help.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
running 5400 gph so I think that's covered. The beep is better with a little clear sealant but not gone.I don't want to mess with the board cause that would void the warrenty but thatwould solve it. Who can people contact to voice there thoughts on this chiller?

There is a max flow rate as well and with 5400 gallons you may be over it. Contact sunlight supply in vancouver washington, maybe send an email to customer service. You could simply ask them how to get rid of the beep and see what they say.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Is there a way to adjust the swing of degrees wider than 2 deg on this chiller? Add that to the list of fixes if not. It is only staying on for 2 to 3 min. every 5 to 10 min between cycles. I hooked up my temp controller to turn the power on n off. Now 6 min. swing and stays on maybe 4 min. and off for 15 to 20 min. but the unit should be adjustable without my controller! Thanks again for all the help.

No I don't believe the differential can be changed on that chiller. You could always do away with the controllers it has completely and replace it with a ranco controller. It wouldn't beep and you can control the diff, but would certainly void your warranty.

To increase the differential you can slow down your water flow to what the max is suggested, and increase your reservoir size. These adjustments will allow the chiller to run longer but also be off longer at a time. The additional water will store energy that can be used longer while the chiller is off.

Top Bottom