aquaponics - does anyone do it?

• Thread starter captain.koons
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

captain.koons

Just wondering,

I'm looking to set up myself debating if I'll do it for cannabis or not. I don't think I'll raise any sort of fish I'd eat either. Dunno yet need inspiration!

I'm a fish/turtle keeper and I've used hydroponics more than anything else in the past, so I'm like at least half way there! Right?

Cheers,
captain.koons

C

CoughingMan

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but I have no idea what you're trying to say? Whats all this about fish and turtles?

C

captain.koons

Aquaponics is the integration of fresh water or marine life and plants. Aquaponics takes advantage of fish waste (mostly ammonia) and the nitrogen cycle which converts ammonia via bacteria into nitrates which are readily available to fish.

This effect from the bacteria is exploited by overstocking the fish tank and getting the fish into a routine of overeating. The bacteria are held in large amounts with biofilters.

There's a run down of a aquaponics setup.

C

CoughingMan

Wow I have never heard of this one... I personally dont know or have ever met anyone who does this to grow cannabis... I'm sure someone does though...

I like to grow in plain old coco but have you thought about trying aeroponics?

C

captain.koons

ive done soil, coco, non active ebb and flow tables, ebb and flow tables (with pumps:P), dwc for clones, and low pressure aeroponics.

I want to try high pressure aeroponics, bioponics, and aquaponics.... maybe try dwc for growing.

I don't like aeroponics already for the reason you rely so much on your pump, the noise the high pressure pump makes, and I'm also likely going to start growing trees because of Bill c-15 possibly being passed in the near future.

If you do aeroponics have a back up pump and usp to keep your roots wet when there is pump failure / power outages.

S

swampyjay

There was a two part article in Urban Garden Magazine about Bioponics .It outlines The inventor William Texier co founder of Gen . Hydroponics. Grab it if you can. He uses Telapia fish with it. There great to eat as well.

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

i do it ..... but its for leafy greens types of veggies....
fish poop is 99% N its tough to get enough P and K to flower cannabis in a aquaponics system , with out adding nutes that will kill fish . atleast ones ive tried did
i bet there is a way thow
you can veg um thats for shure in a aquaponics system

i use Solar pumps

its easy and pretty str8 foward
The Fish eat your thow away veggies roots and scraps , Then fish make poop , Pump poop to plants , Plants eat poop and clean water , Leftover clean water go's back to fish

the cycle never stops
its pretty fun and addicting lol

B

blackone

Could be fun to try:)
I do sometimes use my aquarium water for watering my plants but not too often because it's impossible for me to judge how much nute to add.

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

also depends on type of fish size and how many , goldfish make the most N
you could get inexpensive ppm meter and check it , its great for seedlings ,

T

the_doctor

i using my change water from my breeding oscar tank for weekly water changes in my dwc system (100l reservoir 3 grow pots and brain pod system)seeds have just germed so we'll see how i get on in a week or 2.

Q

quantumdist

I have a pond, so I guess I do. My pond if about 3100 gallons and I have 9 koi and a few goldfish. There is part of the pond just after the bio-filter and a waterfall that is about 50 gallon shallow(about 12" deep) pond. A lot of the byproduct from the filter settles there after the bacteria have chewed up the ammonia and other waste. I have lilies planted here that grow like absolute monsters. The stems are over 1/4" thick, the leaves are really green and stand out of the water about 6" to a foot. They constantly flower, until the end of the growing season. I have mint growing in the waterfall and it also does very well.

I designed and built the entire pond and I maintain it myself (my zen time) , so if anyone has any questions - shoot.

A

abctmtmtmtm

I live in China, very wants to buy several seeds in your website, the friend you can help me Sends the mail line to me not, at forum\'s information I could not reply, did not know how to manage only then good [email protected]

abctmtmtmtm
Trial Users Posted on: 01-10-2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody is good, I am a Chinese, watched your forum, good thinks a kind of hemp, but does not do the seed, has the good intention nabs to be able to help me? Is deeply grateful!!! Looked at this forum for a long time, was cannot find buys seed\'s method, also how didn\'t know to buy, my English was not good, many were on the one hand turns on the other hand the dictionary to study, because our country to this tube very strictly, but, saw at the movie you played the hemp, felt well crisp!! Has the good intention friend to help me??? some words please send the electronic information to me, again thanked! My mailbox address is [email protected]

Top Bottom