Aquarium lights?

• Thread starter Drgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Drgreen

Drgreen

A friend from work who is a fishtank enthusiast told me that he has plants in his aquarium and he uses some special lights with different spectrums. do you think I can use those lights for idoor growing?

tags420

tags420

When people get custom spectrums in cidly panels(Chinese factory for many brands), they get the aquarium panels because you can get more white diodes per lens unit. The grow model limits the amount whites, so it's mostly blue and red. So if you are into white/red panels, the aquarium is the way to go with cidly(apollo).
But if not customizing spectrum, aquarium panels are usually only decent for veg, because they are so blue dominate in spectrum.

Long story shot the technology is the basically the same, you just need the right spectrum.

Find out what exactly his special spectrum is

Drgreen

Drgreen

Im looking to grow one single plant. I saw some led pannels at amazon. Therw is one with only blue and one with only red. do you think using the blue ones for growing and the red ones for flowering will work? Im building a small closet

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

You can in fact use aquarium lights, or cfls, a lot of people do throughout their final grow but you must customize your light spectrum accordingly. Many choose cfls for a nice strong veg.

Aquarium lights are designed to feed coral, a special type of plant that does grow using photosynthesis but does not do it the exact same way as other plants considering the environment. The aquarium lights are pretty strong when you think they can feed plants through depths of water and still provide them with adequate food sources.
Here's some spectrum chArts, are you can see what a plant uses for photo synthesis is way different from whats on the hps or my spectrum.. Just saying lol. I did a lot of study on cfls and plants and I'd say veg with a two bright white 1 blue one red and then switch to a bright white one orang one red one violet. You can ask in an aquarium or hydro store for them by color even though they are sorted by number.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Check out sunblaze they make nice t5ho fixtures for cheap. I would get some 4 footers and stand them up and do a vertical grow with reflective Mylar or what not lining the inside. The bulbs are expensive though

tags420

tags420

Those might work, but not very well.
Why do you want to get those aquariums...I'm sure there is a good actual grow panel in your price range??

Drgreen

Drgreen

Well Im in Guatemala si we dont have grow shops. I gotta buy them online and get them shipped here so the weight of the package is a huge factor. Thats why I havent bought a HPS system cause the reflector itself its almost $500 just to bring it down here

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Those might work, but not very well.
Why do you want to get those aquariums...I'm sure there is a good actual grow panel in your price range??

Oh yea?? A lot of people have been doin it bro, for a long time. And you don't believe it ask the pr0fesseur...

Drgreen this is the forum I learned from, it's got a lot of info and the threads been goin for a while. The first couple pages are gold. And anyone else interested in lighting or doesn't think T5HO would work, there's some interesting stuff in here p, even just about plant feeding. Hope this helped and enjoy!!
http://www.invalid.com/indoor-growing/358190-led-without-leds-my-first.html

tags420

tags420

i wasn't talking about the T5's or to you...chill. We all posted at the same time. I was talking about the cheap 14w panels and the spotlights.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Well Im in Guatemala si we dont have grow shops. I gotta buy them online and get them shipped here so the weight of the package is a huge factor. Thats why I havent bought a HPS system cause the reflector itself its almost $500 just to bring it down here

No need to explain yourself buddy, people want you to grow like them when they can't answer your question, don't worry homie. If you can get the spectrum right its wonderful and the cost of running t5's is much lower also.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

i wasn't talking about the T5's or to you...chill. We all posted at the same time. I was talking about the cheap 14w panels and the spotlights.

Fish tank, enthusiast, aquarium. For all those key words.. WHY would anyone be wondering about 14w anythings??? Especially in a grow forum?? I'm not being a dick but come in man, give out some FULL SPECTRUM proper info before making something out to be terrible...

I love t5s, and I personally had questions about them and everyone hated on them and said dont use it, BUT NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS!! Which I really hated, so I like to answer questions instead of trying to convince someone of doing things any way but the way they want.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Drgreen here's another one..

Club t5: http://www.invalid.com/cfl-fluorescent-lighting/493026-club-t5.html

Not my favorite forum, but the older on going threads have A LOT of useful info!! Hopefully they can answer your questions and get you where you wanna be!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mr.Metal, I believe you're trying to link to outside sites that are not allowed. Your link is being parsed as 'invalid.com.'

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal, I believe you're trying to link to outside sites that are not allowed. Your link is being parsed as 'invalid.com.'

Yea, i had a feeling. I noticed it the first time, and attempted to fix. I had a feeling the links would be "inaccessible" because their on another forum. .
The threads are on roll it up under the titles "LEd without Leds -My first T5" and/or then" CLub t5. " you can find on google if you search. Really REALLY thoroughly researched info on the topic and a great help with CFL's and light spectrum. I know it was a big help to me, so i hope you find the same worth in it!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am already very familiar with LED use in the aquatic field. I've been reading about people burning their anemones while pot growers argue as to whether or not LED can really 'do' it, for quite a few years now. It's time everyone caught up! That's why, even though I don't currently use LEDs, I like to see these threads being kept active with good discussion. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom