Aquarium rocks?

• Thread starter SquenchyBudz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SquenchyBudz

I stopped at a hydro store while I was in Denver and told the guy I was going to be doing DWC and he said using coco/perlite mix 50/50 would work awesome.

To me it looks like coco in DWC would be almost like using dirt and would fall into my water.

I was at Walmart earlier looking for pumps and air stones, and was wondering if anyone has ever used aquarium rocks as medium?

Just was thinking it would look cool and was wondering if anyone has ever done it and if it works or not.

Thanks!

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Coco/ Perlite can work....use a paint strainer over your net pot and don't run the water level too high in your buckets....this could encourage wicking and over saturate your media.

Though good old fashion grow rocks ( Hydroton) is still your best bst, IMO.

S

SquenchyBudz

Hmm I figured I would've found at least one person who had!

H

Hlg09

I have been wondering about that myself. I use six in. netpots with 4x4 rockwool cubes and the put hydroton around the sides and over the top of the cube to block the light to avoid mold. By using the large cube and block it will keep you from having to stake the plant to keep it from falling over. I used two in. netpots recently and it was quite a pain in the ass to tie them and bind them when growing in a 5 gal. bucket.

sog1313

sog1313

aquarium rocks might work but you should be careful if they are the colorful ones. the combination of acidic water, nutes, and enzymes (if you use em) might leech the dye out and mess up your plants. would definitely warrant an experiment if you can spare it though, aquarium rocks are a lot easier to get than hydroton in some places. good growing. peace.

W

woodie1369

I used the all natural looking ones in a hempy bucket they dont hold much water in the top layers I misted mune once a day .now in dwc since most of the roots are in water you might be able too???

Top Bottom