Arcata cannabis crisis gets Bush Administration's attention

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
ARCATA – With new local and state guidelines in the works and looming over Arcata’s out-of-control cannabis scene, the federal government is here to help as well.

On Tuesday, July 15, Arcata hosted Scott Burns, deputy director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, who is the Bush Administration’s second-in-command for drug regulation. After participating in marijuana raids in Eureka and points south and meeting with county officials, Burns traveled to what has apparently come to be known as America’s grow house capitol, the City of Arcata.

Here, Burns met with City and Humboldt State University officials and granted the Arcata Eye an interview before traveling to Sacramento to meet with state officials.

The view from the White House

In an interview (see pages A8-9) Burns shared the federal government’s views on medical cannabis, grow houses and possible enforcement action by the authorities.

Burns later said his mission to Humboldt and Arcata was twofold: 1. “Seeing firsthand what’s going on with respect to indoor grows, which is an exceptional problem,” and 2. “To thank the hard-working men and women doing this hard [enforcement] work on the front lines.”

In the interview, Burns adamantly dismissed any notion of medical usefulness of marijuana, saying that dosages are unregulated, smoking is an irresponsible delivery system and that suitable substitutes for medical cannabis exist in the form of FDA-approved medications. Legalization, Burns said, would immediately lead to even more widespread use. He said today’s marijuana fundamentally alters human brain structure and leads to addiction and ruined lives.

Burns said grow houses, including home gardens maintained by purported Prop 215 patients, are used to supply dispensaries, which the federal government views as criminal enterprises. In fact, two of the four existing Arcata dispensaries have admitted buying from residential Prop 215 grows.

He said owners of dispensaries risk “losing their property” via asset forfeiture, which, he said, “I predict will happen soon.”

Burns urged a re-thinking of the acceptance of marijuana in contemporary culture, and even seemed to suggest that recreational use could be legislated and enforced away.

But regarding enforcement, Burns seemed to offer a mixed message. While unyielding in asserting that federal law holds marijuana illegal under all circumstances and trumps all state and local medical cannabis laws, Burns nonetheless advised Arcatans to “defer 100 percent good judgment of the people who have been elected and appointed” while motioning to those present in the APD conference room. But most of them are working on guidelines under which medical marijuana may be safely cultivated and dispensed.

Following his Arcata visit, Burns journeyed to Sacramento for further discussions. During a brief phone discussion Friday, he said he’d met with the U.S. Attorney, officials with the Drug Enforcement Administration and other drug enforcement personnel including the FBI, county sheriffs and police chiefs.

The results of Burns’ foray into cannabinized California will, he said, soon be discussed in the halls of high-level government in Washington, D.C. “I’ll report back to Mr. Walters [John P. Walters, ONDCP director] on what I saw and feedback I received,” Burns said.

Arcata will be a hot topic. “My meeting in Arcata was pretty eye-opening,” Burns said. “The mayor, councilmembers and HSU truly want to partner and come up with a solution.” He said the cannabis industry in Arcata “has far outgrown the level of acceptability.”

Arcata’s message to Washington

City Manager Michael Hackett said that the City hadn’t called the meeting with Burns, but that City officials and others were happy to share their views. “Everyone that spoke made the statement loud and clear that this community supports compassionate use, but that in some cases it has gotten out of hand,” Hackett said. HSU’s concerns, he said, centered around displacement of housing by grow houses and the effect that has on student welfare and admissions.

Meanwhile, new guidelines for distribution of medical marijuana expected last week from the state Attorney General‘s Office were not issued for reasons unknown.

The Burns interview airs on KHSU 90.5 FM this Friday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. after the Home Page, and will stream online at khsu.org.
The Tuesday bust
The Humboldt County Drug Task Force, assisted by HCSO, Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement and the FBI, concluded a one-year investigation into the alleged illegal cultivation and sales of marijuana by Ryan Robletto and co-conspirators. Agents served search warrants at 15 locations in Humboldt County and seized 3,026 marijuana plants, approximately 10 pounds of processed marijuana, two ounces of heroin and 22 firearms (including one assault rifle) were seized and 15 arrests were made at various locations.

link: http://www.arcataeye.com/index.php?module=Pagesetter&tid=2&topic=3&func=viewpub&pid=1006&format=full

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
This is what happens when you have easy target's and these fool's don't have to earn their money by lookin for meth lab's . :angry:

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah Zoo, that's true. But the damn feds should BUTT-OUT! If it's not crossing state lines, it's NOT a federal offense.

A few words for Mr. Scott Burns......"stupid is as stupid does." I guess Cali is gonna have to secede from the union to get their point across.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

I guess Cali is gonna have to secede from the union to get their point across.

Im not sure thats the best solution... But this is very fucked... Like Zoo mentioned, there are much, MUCH larger threats that the police could(and should) be aiming their efforts at...

The thing that makes me angry the most is Mr. Burns' stance on MedicalMJ:
Burns Interview said:
In the interview, Burns adamantly dismissed any notion of medical usefulness of marijuana, saying that dosages are unregulated, smoking is an irresponsible delivery system and that suitable substitutes for medical cannabis exist in the form of FDA-approved medications.

His initial statement that there is no "medical usefulness" to cannabis is directly contradicted by saying that there are suitable subsitiutes for cannabis that are FDA approved...Which is it? Either the chemicals in cannabis aid people or they do not, regardless of whether it is grown or synthetically produced in a lab... As far as I know Marinol has been a less than stellar medicine for those in need. I have heard Sativex has been usefull for many, but is only approved in Canada IIRC...So what substitutes is he referring to? Or does he simply mean more of big pharma's meds like oxycontin and morphine....:rolleyes:

As far as smoking being an irresponsible delivery system, apparently the 2nd in charge of the White House drug policy has never heard of a Vaporizer or Cannabis brownies...

Honestly, the amount of misinformation, or lack of actal information, that is present in current Drug policy is heartwrenching...:angry:

This man's views are completely fucked...Its a shame he purports to speak for a nation (all the while with 13 states disagreeing completely....):rolleyes:

P

ProGroWannabe

Good points for sure Concept. As for my comment about secession, your right it's not the answer. I was just pissed when I read the original post. In my opinion, it's all because of funding(from Big Pharma) and funding FOR the DEA. They're finally trying to come to terms with the fact that their propaganda isn't working anymore. Now they're just gonna try to force Cali's growing community to "bow down".....good luck with that one. The few growers that I've known personally aren't the bowing kind!!

umm sorry for ranting.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Nah ProGro, I definitely feel the need for ranting... The fact that the federal government has completely ignored the truth about medicinal marijuana, have ignored the will of the Voters of 13 different states, and have ignored pleas for a sane Drug policy by the voters, various Medical agencies and dozens of different advocacy groups, makes this a topic well worth the ranting...

In reality, this type of situation is what the founding fathers were trying to prevent, and honestly a situation where succesion would be appropriate. A government which does not represent the will of the people it represents is an unjust government... A very Thoreau-like situation.... Unfortuantely our government would quickly (and I assume violently) end any such actions.

Our government's guise of being "for the people" is clearly a facade... Im on the opposite end of the country from Cali, but this situation should be equally infuriating for growers, smokers, and medicators everywhere.

:cool:

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah Concept your right about "for the people by the people."
It seems now that the only "people" they are referring to are the ones at the upper end of government. I believe that the future is becoming less stable and therefore much less predictable than we thought just a few short years ago.

Cali has been on the front lines of this movement for many years. I for one, am anxious to see how they handle this. It could very well set the trend for other states.

H

herby

As i mentioned in another thread, the major problem with government today is they are always worried about where thier next vote is coming from. If 60% of the people want strict drug laws we will have them and they will say we are doing what the people want. In this regard 40% of the people will always be unhappy and unfortunately, thats us.

Unfortunately the government has gotten way too big and wants to regulate every aspect of your life nowadays and until they leave us alone and let us live the way we want too this isnt going to change. I dont see that happening anytime soon.

S

sokalkush

Our government's guise of being "for the people" is clearly a facade... Im on the opposite end of the country from Cali, but this situation should be equally infuriating for growers, smokers, and medicators everywhere.

great point bro!

-infuriated medicator!!!!!

S

swietdreams

maybe this is slightly irrelevant, but GB Junior is the biggest war criminal in the world, the second biggest is GB Senior! The weirdest thing is that these fuckin hill billies actually think they are going down in history as the guys who fought terrorism and saved the world. I hope barrack bin laben osama obama wins the ellections and we can get rid of the guy who made the world cry, GB killed just about as many people as hitler, and is completely oblivious to how much the world hates him & all that he stands for and the same goes for his dickheadcheeney crew. Not to mention, obviously more than 50% of america is oblivious to the fact that the world hates them because of George bush.

If MAC CAIN Wins the ellections, the whole world is fucked and americans you can kiss your trips to europe goodbye.

Other than that, America is a great place and americans are cool people. Love to hate the american way, but if I had a choice, I would rather be from USA, eating french fries hot dogs and hamburgers rather than scraping rice from the floor. or depending on USA food rations of genetically modified corn.

X

xtheghostx

Please don't refer to George Bush as a hillbilly he is no such thing and is an insult to any real hillbilly :D

C

CoughingMan

I live just a couple hours south of the redwood region where arcata and eureka is. Man I love arcata and eureka, lol... anyway... I have been watching it all on the local news. Theres been TONS of busts lately! There's a new one on the local news every other day or so about a new field.

Top Bottom