Are fox farm products declining in quality?

• Thread starter thomas2402k
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mothman

Mothman

Today I opened a new 2cf bag of Happy Frog (recently stored in an air conditioned hardware store). It was beautiful. Smelled great. Appropriate level of moisture (not much). A few little black sticks but no obvious clods etc.

I guess I’m resistant to a new learning curve. I’m just starting to get the hang of growing with FF soil, but today I did compare HF, OF, and Stonington Blend.

Here’s the Guaranteed Analysis of each, in case anyone is interested in the relative NPK nutrient content:

Stonington
0.50–0.34--0.12

Happy Frog
0.30–0.30–0.05

Ocean Forest
0.4–0.1–0.7

Looks like Stonington wins if you like your soil pre-loaded with NPK.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
No, you rotate crops and plant legumes or clover. Plant tomatoes in the same spot, you’ll have tomato blight. Harvest diminish because it’s difficult to fully replace micronutrients. Plant specific pathogens increase. Underground pest can increase their numbers. Stupid example, Haiti. Planting the same crop, year after year, destroyed the soil. It’s a major reason the country is messed up. With raised beds you do partial soil replacements and rotate plantings.

Some soils, peat with perlite, are more pathogen resistant and are treated much like hydroponics, probably less risk than others. In a 200 gallon pot, you have little choice, a partial replacement is the best you can do. In a five gallon pot, I think it’s better to replace every grow. I reuse all potting soils, just not to grow weed. Used soil from marijuana goes to raised beds or my garden.

Can you reuse soil to replant marijuana in, sure you can. Should you, maybe or maybe not.
I reuse all my indoor grow soil… int he garden outside once I’m done harvesting, I just shake off the root ball (I run straight peat moss and perlite) and I mix that into the garden soil, could I reuse it? I’m sure I could… but like you said… should I? I run 5 gallon buckets, if it costs me $40 a bale for my Promix BX that’s well worth the peace of mind to me

But I’ve seen ithers do fine run after run, really it’s what you’re willing to risk

Stokes

Stokes

Were they ever that good?

Yea

They were amazing.

Not because they were top of the shelf with other soils, but because they were a beginner friendly medium and available almost everywhere

Stokes

Stokes

Today I opened a new 2cf bag of Happy Frog (recently stored in an air conditioned hardware store). It was beautiful. Smelled great. Appropriate level of moisture (not much). A few little black sticks but no obvious clods etc.

I guess I’m resistant to a new learning curve. I’m just starting to get the hang of growing with FF soil, but today I did compare HF, OF, and Stonington Blend.

Here’s the Guaranteed Analysis of each, in case anyone is interested in the relative NPK nutrient content:

Stonington
0.50–0.34--0.12

Happy Frog
0.30–0.30–0.05

Ocean Forest
0.4–0.1–0.7

Looks like Stonington wins if you like your soil pre-loaded with NPK.

Im glad you got a good bag. Twigs were normal but nothing in excess

Get you a bag of stonington and just shove your damn face in it. Just love it. Would love it as an air freshener for my car

*allegedly* you can grow an auto with it only adding a topdress of castings and bonemeal at the start of flower
Was never ballsy enough to try it tho

Mothman

Mothman

Im glad you got a good bag. Twigs were normal but nothing in excess

Get you a bag of stonington and just shove your damn face in it. Just love it. Would love it as an air freshener for my car

*allegedly* you can grow an auto with it only adding a topdress of castings and bonemeal at the start of flower
Was never ballsy enough to try it tho
I seriously almost bought a sack of it the other day for this Frostette clone.

H

hoobastank_enthusiast

I've been using FF Cultivation Nation coco for a while now and it's always been good for me, but I suspect there's a lot more room for quality deviation when you're talking about soil instead. I don't use their nutrients at all though.

zack991

zack991

I am just using FF with grow dots and recharge and seeing how that goes this year. I know there isnt enough nutrients for more than 30 days in the soil itself.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

I feel like a fucking baby learning how to walk dear god. I got the tent and thought in my head “sweet, get some soil and I’ll have good weed coming my way”. Hell no 😂 thanks for the info will definitely check it out
Me too 🤣

Top Bottom