Are My Seeds Any Good

• Thread starter BluntMazter86
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Im new to this whole growing scene but i have a half ass grow setup for now, just trying to get a feel for things before i go all out. I am currently growing out some seeds that I found in a bag of Diesel. I have heard that if you find any seeds in a bag of good shit, then they are probably hermie. Is that true? And I've also heard that they would be femanized. Is that true? Anyways I have two plants, 32 and 30 days old now. Im vegging 18/6 in 8 in pots. With walmarts 55 watt cf and a 40 something watt about 6 in above plants They are about 7-8 in tall with 5-6 sets of branching. Wandering if this is normal height and how long should i grow them before i can clone. Thx for any advise guys. I am gonna try to get a few pics when i get a little more time.

budboy299

budboy299

Chances are if it was good smoke...the seeds will produce something similar. You do know that the mother was good, father is the big question though.

If it was simply that the grower forgot to pull a male of the same strain, then the seed should be a normal healthy boy or girl.

However if the seed was the result of the mother (or another mother close by) being hermaphrodite, then the seed would be herm too.
Only way to know is to grow it out and see.

For cuttings, I usually wait till at least 4 or 5 nodes in height. Same thing to determine sex by changing the light cycle. Other may do differently but thats the way I do it.

G

greentipz

hermie

If the mother plant hermied in response to stressful enviornmental factors..then the hermie trait would not be in the resulting progeny genetic make up

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

If the mother plant hermied in response to stressful enviornmental factors..then the hermie trait would not be in the resulting progeny genetic make up

So you are saying, as long as the strain was already good and just that one mother turned, then my seeds should be good enough not to turn out hermie themselves?

S

saltr

So you are saying, as long as the strain was already good and just that one mother turned, then my seeds should be good enough not to turn out hermie themselves?

Pretty much. If the mother produced the seed simply because of environmental stress, a proper grow of the genetics should not necessarily herm. Yet, if the mother produced seed due to inherent herm predisposition, it is likely that the progeny would exhibit this trait as well.

I would guess that the seed would indeed be feminized, yet am not completely sure on this one.

T

thed_ude

post up some closeup pics of the 5th and six nodes. that is where the preflowers should show :)

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Thanks everyone, Im kinda starting to see a little clearer now!! Sorry for not responding any sooner, I have been busy busy. Im wandering now, should i see preflowers, they are 36 and 38 days old now and still in veg mode. If so what do preflowers look like (dont laugh). Another thing is, they are like barely 8 inches tall and I think that is pretty damn short for 38 days old... can anybody tell me if this is normal... and about the preflowers. Im still trying to get some pics on here. My comp is whack but hang with me im trying, FOR REAL. laterz

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Ok the first 3 pics are of my 38 day old. I did a little bit of low stress training a few weeks ago, but I have since released her. That is why the nodes are so close together, I think. The next three pics are of the 36 day old, no stress training. And my setup... :0

SAM 0658
SAM 0659
SAM 0660
SAM 0661
SAM 0663
SAM 0665
SAM 0670
SAM 0675
P

Pandaman

Pre Flowers

I don't see any Pre-Flowers on your plants. Possibly it could take longer and you just have to wait. Although, you seem to be using a soil that I don't recognize in the large pots.

Perhaps the soil is not giving enough nutrients to allow the plants to grow any larger...? Or there might not be enough light...? I've seen a plant that was harvested under 110w of CFL, but it looked a bit pathetic. Smoke was decent, but it was all small popcorn like buds...

Here are some examples of Pre-Flowers.

http://img13.invalid.com/img13/8141/preflowers1.th.gif
http://img38.invalid.com/img38/4532/preflowers2.th.jpg

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
I like the homemade setup.. Do whatever it takes to get it going.. Reminds me a lot like me when I first started out.. Those were the days of innocence.. :giggle Shit, just run the seeds and you never know what you have man, could be the next Chemdog.. :giggle

I too agree, what type of soil are ya using and can you get a 400w in there? You will have much better results. If not, what type of CFL's are they? Are they daylight CFL's- 4500K? I would use all daylight/cool bulbs in the CFL's for veg., and then switch over to a warm bulb for flowering. I use CFL's too for alot of vegging and seedlings. I only use daylight and one warm bulb for the most part. Happy harvests and keep us updated. I'd like to see how this turns out.. :party0033:

G

grenbone

I would try and get your hands on some seeds from a reputable breeder. Last year my friend popped 4 seeds from a bag of nice shit (sour Diesel). Grew them out into trees over the course of the following 5 months. One was a male that got culled because there was no room for it. The three females took about 65 days to mature. Big stinky buds covered in trichs. Smelled like rotting fruit, and looked dank. The only problem was that there was ZERO potency. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

My point, is that maybe you should get your hands on a few seeds of something known by a breeder, or some fem seeds. That way you know you will get something good if you have a female or feminized seed. At the same time, you can test one or two small plants from your bag-seed. If you get something with zero potency like my buddy did, you will at least have something nice to fall back on so as not to feel at a total loss.

My buddy pretty much waisted the good part of 8 months on that bag seed. It was a lesson well learned.

S

supasticky

I think what you have are stressed seeds. If there was only one that's probably what it was unless you got it out of like a ten bag or something, but if it was like 1/8+ that's the likely scenario. Not good to breed with but should be good to grow out. I'm actually growing three if you want to check my grow out..I also have them under tubes so that could help you out too, who knows?

-Supa

BluntMazter86

BluntMazter86

Thanks Pandaman, for the pics of the preflowers, I will definately be watching for them. The soil is nothing more than Miracle Grow "organic mix" mixed 50/50 with Perlite(walmart)
To Tex, Im sitting here looking at the box that one of my lights come in and I think I see the problem. It is a GE 55w 2700k "soft white":( And so im guessing that is WAYYY to low to expect any "real results". Keep in mind that these plants are going to stay in veg until I get my 400w hps (hopefully 2-3 weeks from now). Is this enough light to keep them healthy and grow them big enough to clone.
Thanks again everyone for the help!

Top Bottom