Are seeds from hermies any good?

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I recently started flowering some fem seeds from hindu kush & girl scout cookies strain. Unfortunately due to my subpar skills two of the plants turned into hermies. Will the seeds from the these plants be any good? I figured if so it would at least be something I could salvage from this mostly failed grow.

Mellowvibes

Mellowvibes

Usually the genetic trait is passed down through the seeds so there is a possibility of a hermie.
However. I've seen some pretty good offspring from hermies. If you have no other option. By all means. But make sure there are separated from your good crop and monitor them a few times daily in case.
You can take clones and once the plant doesn't hermie and you like what you have, you can keep it. If not chop it.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

If you dont repeat the stress that caused them they are likely fine. I have planted many of my “stress” seeds and none have reversed like the mom. But i tried to reduce the stress.
Thx for advice! I dont know much about breeding but I got them from reputable seed bank "Nirvana" as femenized seeds & have grown their fem seeds for yrs outdoors with no issues. Im pretty sure it was due to stress & not genetics as this was my 2nd indoor grow ever & needless to say it hasn't gone well. For example I tried lst technique for 1st time & broke the one plant in half. So my hope was as you say it's just stress & I can grow these but as I said I know nothing of genetics.

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

Thx for advice! I dont know much about breeding but I got them from reputable seed bank "Nirvana" as femenized seeds & have grown their fem seeds for yrs outdoors with no issues. Im pretty sure it was due to stress & not genetics as this was my 2nd indoor grow ever & needless to say it hasn't gone well. For example I tried lst technique for 1st time & broke the one plant in half. So my hope was as you say it's just stress & I can grow these but as I said I know nothing of genetics.
Iv had same problem m8 over stressed my lady's. And ended up with a couple of seeds. From each plant. Then I grew. Them with no stress. And got 3 seeds from ole grow... Just done the 3 og. And no seeds. So basically I just kept growing them and any stress I caused I didn't do the following grow.. All ways worth a go. Its just a weed. Lol. Happy growing.. Guess I was just lucky.. Going from having seeds in my bud to havin none by just popping the seeds n no stress

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Maybe less. I have planted hundreds of feminized seeds and have had one male.
For sure,I'm pretty certain it was stress not genetics cuz I messed up alot this grow. Usually I do outdoor & let it do its thing but this being my 2nd indoor grow ever it was very hands on & there were alot of mistakes made. I'm pretty sure you're right tho,I've grown alot of these fem seeds outdoor & maybe had one go hermie on me. I've just never grown out hermie seeds so wasnt sure about it but figured hell if I'm gonna have bud full of seeds might as well save money on seeds next grow.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For sure,I'm pretty certain it was stress not genetics cuz I messed up alot this grow. Usually I do outdoor & let it do its thing but this being my 2nd indoor grow ever it was very hands on & there were alot of mistakes made. I'm pretty sure you're right tho,I've grown alot of these fem seeds outdoor & maybe had one go hermie on me. I've just never grown out hermie seeds so wasnt sure about it but figured hell if I'm gonna have bud full of seeds might as well save money on seeds next grow.

I have had more reversals from stress. I was talking about true males. But even when nanners show. Many times take away the stress and pick off the nanners and none come back.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

My last harvest was exactly that.
few lower buds showed male parts, and a few seeds in those buds.
but pull the pollen sacks off and you will be good to rock. Provided you correct the light stress issue of course.
I switched my blooming plants from being 12 hours during the night to during the day and they had a very long dark period.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I have had more reversals from stress. I was talking about true males. But even when nanners show. Many times take away the stress and pick off the nanners and none come back.
Oh,ok. I thought u meant hermies.I've never had any go full male on me yet but I've heard of it happening. It's funny you mentioned picking off the nanners & not coming back tho cuz I been picking off with tweezers everyday since I seen & it seems like I'm hardly noticing any now. I was actually wondering if maybe this batch might not be seed ridden after all. I'll still have the hermies separated outdoor from the others indoor but maybe these might not be as bad as I thought? I guess we'll see!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My last harvest was exactly that.
few lower buds showed male parts, and a few seeds in those buds.
but pull the pollen sacks off and you will be good to rock. Provided you correct the light stress issue of course.
I switched my blooming plants from being 12 hours during the night to during the day and they had a very long dark period.

That could stress them but not likely. I find nutrient stress is the most common cause of stress reversal. Or bad light leaks/inconsistant light cycle with light during the dark period. Heat stress too. Thats a biggie.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Oh,ok. I thought u meant hermies.I've never had any go full male on me yet but I've heard of it happening. It's funny you mentioned picking off the nanners & not coming back tho cuz I been picking off with tweezers everyday since I seen & it seems like I'm hardly noticing any now. I was actually wondering if maybe this batch might not be seed ridden after all. I'll still have the hermies separated outdoor from the others indoor but maybe these might not be as bad as I thought? I guess we'll see!

Well the later the better for nanners. Lol. Less time for seeds to mature. ;-)

But seriously nanners dont always have viable pollen. But you can never tell. Always a risk.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

If it's stress induced, go for it. They will be female. Stress induced hermaphrodism is how you get feminized seeds, which is all I ever use.

Madmax

Madmax

Well the later the better for nanners. Lol. Less time for seeds to mature. ;-)

But seriously nanners dont always have viable pollen. But you can never tell. Always a risk.
I had a wierd season few yrs back ..planted out 6 girls.the blue cheese had a couple nanners on it and i had sherbet and a critacal 2.0 growing amongst them... all got half a dozen seeds from ea bar the blue cheese lol..must of been another nanner on others somewhere i missed..buds grew poddy on theblue cheese but no seeds.the following yr a male spung up lol..thats the only male ive seen in decades.every yr i get the odd 1 or 2 nanners and a few seeds .ive always used those the following yr and get fems...maybe its because of the stems..they split bad near every yr..but doesnt affect yield much..

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

That could stress them but not likely. I find nutrient stress is the most common cause of stress reversal. Or bad light leaks/inconsistant light cycle with light during the dark period. Heat stress too. Thats a biggie.
I probably hit every one of those you mentioned. I'm certain there were nutrient issues. Also had both light & temp issues due to trying battle cold temps in the 30s so I been bringing in house where darkness wasnt consistent. I have plants set up in garage so technically inside but might as well be outdoor as garage isnt weather proofed.

Zelkova12

Zelkova12

Usually the genetic trait is passed down through the seeds so there is a possibility of a hermie.
However. I've seen some pretty good offspring from hermies. If you have no other option. By all means. But make sure there are separated from your good crop and monitor them a few times daily in case.
You can take clones and once the plant doesn't hermie and you like what you have, you can keep it. If not chop it.
Buried my hermied buds last year. 15 plants grew. I chopped all but this one. Few seeds. Smokes great nugs are hard trichs are through the roof. It then pollinated my Obi wan ooops.

AAF9C212 4DFA 4679 9DFB 6117C7EDB2D5
Top Bottom