I get them. I notice just like fungus gnats they stay under control with a good dry cycle. They dont hurt mature plants. They only eat rotting material. Like leaf mold. If a bad infestation maybe they could affect seedlings.
They are very hard to kill i understand. I dont use harsh (or even not so harsh) pesticides so i live with them.
To reduce numbers rake all leaves away from the house. They are attracted to moisture so any leaks or standing water like a leaky faucet may attract them. They live in topsoil 1000’s per square yard.