Are the digital soil PH meters accurate or should I do the "slurry method"?

• Thread starter Growth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Growth

I just recently learned about the "slurry method" where you add some dirt to water and mix it around and test it with the liquid PH tester. (Like this one - which we have.)

Instead of just simply sticking (this one) in the soil. Which seems correct to me honestly. The soil testing one has always felt random. Even the same area tests different but I've noticed the top of the soil can be 8PH and the bottom can be 6pH and I'm unsure if that's normal or how to fix it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
D

DougV

Slurry and use distilled water, not pH adjusted water. Runoff doesn’t remain in contact long enough to be accurate for soil pH. Distilled water has no buffering capability to alter pH results. You should not use the surface soil. Take from a couple inches deep and take from 3 places. Make a wet slurry, allow it to sit 15 minutes, then test it for pH. This is strictly for pH.

jetbtkng

jetbtkng

thats what i use to test my ph, when mixing my nutes & water & run off, been working good for me, just have to re calibrate it once in awhile, but i think its a decent unit..

Thumbnail   2024 04 29T170653613
G

Growth

thats what i use to test my ph, when mixing my nutes & water & run off, been working good for me, just have to re calibrate it once in awhile, but i think its a decent unit..
The yellow one isn't an issue. The long one is the issue.

G

Growth

Slurry and use distilled water, not pH adjusted water. Runoff doesn’t remain in contact long enough to be accurate for soil pH. Distilled water has no buffering capability to alter pH results. You should not use the surface soil. Take from a couple inches deep and take from 3 places. Make a wet slurry, allow it to sit 15 minutes, then test it for pH. This is strictly for pH.
Wouldn't I want to test with the water I'd be using? I wouldn't be using distilled to water my plants.

the rrock

the rrock

Wouldn't I want to test with the water I'd be using? I wouldn't be using distilled to water my plants.
good question,,Ive been doing this for 45 years straight(successfull side hustle) using tap water.Never owned a ph checker and never had an issue. Go figure=WOT

jetbtkng

jetbtkng

The yellow one isn't an issue. The long one is the issue.
ya i have a soil type tester, thats why i got the other one, seems the one i have isnt that accurate, but its not digital like the one in your link, this is the unit i have for soil, Soil pH Meter, MS02 3-in-1 Soil Moisture/Light/pH Tester

D

DougV

Wouldn't I want to test with the water I'd be using?
Not for testing soil pH, which was his question. Runoff testing, yes you water/feed the plant with what you normally use. Not sure either is necessary, I test soil pH in fields to see if lime is needed for hay, not for plants.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

this is the way

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

I just recently learned about the "slurry method" where you add some dirt to water and mix it around and test it with the liquid PH tester. (Like this one - which we have.)

Instead of just simply sticking (this one) in the soil. Which seems correct to me honestly. The soil testing one has always felt random. Even the same area tests different but I've noticed the top of the soil can be 8PH and the bottom can be 6pH and I'm unsure if that's normal or how to fix it.
slurry is probably the best way, the good soil ph pens work but are expensive.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom