Are These Fruin Flies?

• Thread starter ChunpoweR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ChunpoweR

ChunpoweR

Just noticed a couple of these in my garage and was wondering what these were and if they are a danger to my crop.

Are these fruin flies
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Looks like a root aphid flier, Imsay that because of the wing length. I am probably wrong but the fruit flies I have seen are reddish brown and fungus gnats wing length is roughly equal to it's body.
User20270 pic364621 1272494208 1

If you check your roots with a microscope and see nothing then it is probably just some other kind of gnat.

M

Mepis

Don't mean to thread jack, but how do you check the roots in a soil grow without disturbing and damaging the roots? Are you just looking at the top soil or bushing a bit off the top?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I think I had a fungus gnat in my tent earlier. He looked like he was going down in my coco. What do I do and how fast do i need to do it?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
An inch or two thick layer of sand, perlite(not recommeded because of dust), gravel, aquaruim rocks, or something made for top dressing such as growstone gnatnix will trap the ones trying to emerge from the soil and prevent new ones from depositing their eggs into your media.

For large or small infestations you can get israelenesis bacteria like gnatrol that keep them from reproducing. A cut off piece of panty hose or stocking stretched around the bottom of your pots help keep them from breeding in the drain holes.
They are really bad this year, keeping them in check with neem, other sprays and preventative maintenance is about all you can do. If you get rid of them one will fly in through a crack or when you enter or leave and the battle starts over...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

An inch or two thick layer of sand, perlite(not recommeded because of dust), gravel, aquaruim rocks, or something made for top dressing such as growstone gnatnix will trap the ones trying to emerge from the soil and prevent new ones from depositing their eggs into your media.

For large or small infestations you can get israelenesis bacteria like gnatrol that keep them from reproducing. A cut off piece of panty hose or stocking stretched around the bottom of your pots help keep them from breeding in the drain holes.
They are really bad this year, keeping them in check with neem, other sprays and preventative maintenance is about all you can do. If you get rid of them one will fly in through a crack or when you enter or leave and the battle starts over...
I am growing in fabric pots. Can they get thru the fabric?

Edit: And thanks taking the time to reply. I never seen one in the house before I guess.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I am growing in fabric pots. Can they get thru the fabric?

Edit: And thanks taking the time to reply. I never seen one in the house before I guess.
When I used fabric pots they would breed right on the side of the pot after I watered...

The only thing I remember being suggested as a solution for fabric was watering from bottom along with top dressing . I used to use diatomateous earth in a garden duster on my cloth pots.

ChunpoweR

ChunpoweR

Lol. But seriously though. This looks like a root aphid flier. Any thoughts? I haven't seen any in the grow tent. I also just transplanted 1 week ago.

20160728 142315
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
All of the fruit flies I have seen look like this.
Momwithaprep fruit flies SOC
Life cycle
Fada7be0c0e6dfbd1a715124a57cf05c

That looks more like an aphid to me
Aphid

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Fruit flies are fast, like little apache copters. If you try to smack one they take avasive manuvers and are hard to hit, dodging and weaving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom