Are these nematodes, or just "living soil"???

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

Living soil, I always thought of as alive with micobial activity and seeing mycelium on the top of the insect frass I top dressed with 2 weeks ago under my fungas gnat barrier was somewhat expected.
Are these nematodes or just living soil

So when I lifted the cover from one of the other pots and saw these wrigglers, I went for the camera. They look like pictures of nemitodes I've seen, but I never added them and haven't actually ever seen them in soil. Then there's the pair of white insect larva? crawling around in the bottom right of the frame. What are they? No sign of anything but mycelium in the other 3 pots. So does this make my soil "living soil" hahaha.
Anyone that can give me a possitive ID on these things? and TIA! N2

I

IamN2pot

They're not nematodes. Even nematodes large enough to be seen are pretty small.

These are "pot worms." See: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/basics/pot-worms-in-compost.htm
Thank you for the link, that's what they are. I wonder how soil conditions in that pot got them in mass and not the other 3. They got the same soil, watering, bla bla.
Maybe I'll try the milk bread trick or crushed eggshell as a top dressing. I don't realy like the idea of 'drying' them out, but I will certainly bring the moistire levels down in all 4 and do some 'phillips head screwdriver' arriation on the infested one. Fortunatly, I don't see any signs of stress in that plant.

Top Bottom