Are these temp's and humidity % ok? - Dehumidifier jumps between 41% and 60%

• Thread starter DjEclipse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DjEclipse

DjEclipse

This is my first grow and I am finally on the drying stage.

I am not sure if this is normal for a dehumidifier or if mine is not operating properly. I have a 50gal Danby and I have to set it at 45% in order for it to stay at an average of 50. It seems kick on 15% over the humidistat setting and turn off 5% below.

So it turns on at just over 60% humidity and will turn off at 41% humidity. This fluctuation happens over every 2 or so minutes.

Because of this the temp in the tent is 75 deg f. I have a 400cfm 6" exhaust fan with filter pushing air out of the tent to try and get rid of the heat. I have one 4" and one 8" passive air intake openings at the bottom of the tent. The tent walls are sucking in so maybe I can use my smaller 200cfm fan blowing air into the tent. Will this help reduce temp's in the tent?

I also have a small fan on the floor to move air around. The Dehumidifier also has a fan always on, so air is circulating in the tent.

If I set the dehumidifier to 50% humidity will go up to 70% before it turns on. My biggest worry is mold.

I have 2 questions for the more experienced growers.

1. Is the75deg temp's too high and will it dry out the bud too fast?
2. Is the 41% dehumidifier too low and the 60 too high? Is this normal operation, or is my dehumidifier broken? I know there has to be some % +/- before it turns on/ off but that seems like a big fluctuation.

Here are a few pics of the bud hanging. Bubba Kush, I washed the buds and let dry in front of a fan for 1hr before putting them in the tent.

How does my trimming look? I have no idea if I took off too much or not enough.

Thank you,

20201011 015504
20201011 015510
20201011 015429
20201011 015547
SavageBuds420

SavageBuds420

For your first grow I must say... Bravo. 👌
The temp and humidity settings are close enough to where you want to be.
The tent sucking in is because the exhaust fan is sucking too much air for the intakes to keep up. Try adding a booster fan to the intake ports.
Keep the buds in a dark area. Try not to keep peeking because light is just as bad as heat when it comes to drying and curing.

DjEclipse

DjEclipse

For your first grow I must say... Bravo. 👌
The temp and humidity settings are close enough to where you want to be.
The tent sucking in is because the exhaust fan is sucking too much air for the intakes to keep up. Try adding a booster fan to the intake ports.
Keep the buds in a dark area. Try not to keep peeking because light is just as bad as heat when it comes to drying and curing.

Thanks for the reply and complements on the grow. It was a complete disaster but think I learned some things.

It started out as an indoor grow in January but I think my 500W light was too much for the seedlings so it stunted growth. I switched to a small florescent light and they grew a bit taller but not much. I wasn't sure if low humidity was also an issue.

I almost gave up on them but decided to plant them outdoors in June They finally started growing. I didn't do much trimming just water, no feeding them anything. Hopefully they will smoke well once dried.

Strange thing is I read to harvest early morning before the sun comes up. I took down my largest plant and started trimming. It didn't smell strong at all and smelt "fresh" for lack of a better word.

I decided to grab the other plant before the sun came up but when I went out to cut it down the sun was coming up. This plant has a stronger small but more "chemically" smelling. I kept the 2 seperate and I can still smell the difference between the 2. Maybe the salts etc. for the 2nd one started making its way back up the plant as the sun started coming up and that's why it smells different/ stronger?

The plant itself is smaller than the first one.

I still have one more to cut as leaves are still green and not any amber on the trcomes.

The humidity in the drying tent has leveled itself out and is staying around 50%. Temp 68 ish.

I didn't add the intake fan yet as things seem to be doing ok. I know it's more strain on the fan and the tent itself but I don't want to create a positive pressure. So for now I'll leave it.

I hope the long life of the plants won't have a negative effect on the buds but we will see. Yeald is definitely down that's for sure.

It's hard not to peak. I keep checking humidity and Temps are still ok. I'll try to limit this going forward. Can't wait to start curing and try a sample.

Top Bottom