Are these things fungus gnats ?

• Thread starter benjones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shrekk419

Shrekk419

Cover the pots with a thick layer of perlite over the soil after watering with mosquito dunk treated water. Also are you over watering or is it just the start of gnat season?
I have the bits and was wondering if this can mixed up and kept for an extended amount of time or if I need to mix it fresh every time

steamroller

steamroller

I have the bits and was wondering if this can mixed up and kept for an extended amount of time or if I need to mix it fresh every time
I would mix fresh every time.
It is living bacteria and without food I have no clue how long they survive.
Follow the directions.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

no worries, thank you for trying to help
Can you get diatomaceous earth? If so, put a layer, about 1/2 cm thick, over the soil surface in each pot. Do it after watering and don't water for at least several days.

The adult flies won't be able to reach the soil to lay eggs, and the larvae that hatch into adults in the soil won't be able to get out.

This is one of the ways it is sold in the US: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Garden-Saf...id=ef3e4bd794a618ca517c2825d1e9bc32&gclsrc=ds

The main point about doing it after you water is that you want the stuff to stay dry. Maybe put it on the day after you water.

B

benjones

hi @mysticepipedon

i might be able to buy that . how safe is it to use . i think i read that if it is breathed in it can be dangerous for humans . is this true ?

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
+1 for the diatomaceous earth - i've never had buggos on my cannabis but I've used this before for veggie gardening and basement pest control - works outstanding.

i've used it in closed environments - always be careful with any of this stuff but i nor my pets had any issues.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

hi @mysticepipedon

i might be able to buy that . how safe is it to use . i think i read that if it is breathed in it can be dangerous for humans . is this true ?
Yes, don't inhale it.

BTW, soil is also dangerous to inhale. Don't inhale that, either.

B

benjones

thanks @m8ty . i am unsure, but looking at the packaging it looks like it could be powder

abrakota

abrakota

If you cant find any of those guys suggested to you, try search fot pyrethrin, it worked good to my gnats situation. It didn't eliminated all, but reduced the population significantly! A couple more applies though should kill all of them, but i am happy with that!

Top Bottom