Are these trichomes amber or brown from damage?

• Thread starter Jakezkittles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jakezkittles

Jakezkittles

- White Widow Auto Currently 103 days in.
- 27 days past breeders recommended chop date.
Trichomes look somewhat cloudy but I also see a lot of clear. And on the same hand I see amber trichomes as well but they look brown. Is this ready for harvest or are those brown trichomes just from me bumping into the plants?
Thanks in advance.

Are these trichomes amber or brown from damage
Are these trichomes amber or brown from damage 2
Are these trichomes amber or brown from damage 3
Are these trichomes amber or brown from damage 4
Are these trichomes amber or brown from damage 5
Are these trichomes amber or brown from damage 6
Jakezkittles

Jakezkittles

- White Widow Auto Currently 103 days in.
- 27 days past breeders recommended chop date.
Trichomes look somewhat cloudy but I also see a lot of clear. And on the same hand I see amber trichomes as well but they look brown. Is this ready for harvest or are those brown trichomes just from me bumping into the plants?
Thanks in advance.
Also looks like shes fox tailing, she has gotten a LOT of light.

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

Also looks like shes fox tailing, she has gotten a LOT of light.
Agreed . It is NOT ready. fox tailing . Reduce the lighting to 10/14 will slow it down and speed up flowering . And the poster said reduce lighting a bit also helps . Do not harvest yet the new growth is not matured that is the important part.
Harvest now mild buzz nothing special to smoke . It will get you high but you would be saying damn i had much better

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

she is ready.
I see why your saying its finished . But always go with the white hairs on the buds first . All white hairs never scope it . It will for sure trick you. He needs to get all the buds change colors first . As i said you could harvest if you needed it now. It wont be the best smoke you had though . Best to wait a week then recheck it . First few pics you see the clear ones on the lower part of the pics .

S

storz

I see a lot of foxtail bc i push nitrogen through flower( I thought this is why I have it--could be wrong). I like to wait for the foxtail to mature bc there will be more amber in the end. I like the couch lock. However, I dont think that is what most people want(?). Hence, my decision to harvest now. Those plants are fading.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

I think both calls are good depending on what you prefeer.
1. Cut now: you will have less amber trichomes (CBN) and the flavor will be better but also less fully matured trichomes. (You still have plenty of milky frmo the old parts of the buds)
2. Lower light exposure and wait for the new growth to mature: you will have more of a couch high (not necessarily a couch high, depends on the strain, some give you couch lock with less amber than others) and probably a worse flavor. You will have both more THC and more CBN, making it feel more potent, but can get you sleepy.
That used to happen to me when I was new and I thought the more light the better, in the end I had grows with a never ending flowering stage and if you wait for everything thats coming new to mature, the old parts of the bud are gonna give it a funny flavour and you will have more amber. You definetely lose more and more of the strain flavour the longer you have them in flower. Its not just a matter of quickness is a matter of uniformity in the maturity of the plant. Anyone feel free to disagree, thats just how I feel about it.

Eledin

Eledin

Forgot to mention, if youre gonna cut them now give them 2-3 days of darkness so you get some of those transparent trichomes from the new growht a little bit more mature. Just my advice, that way it doesnt over ripe and you can get more thc from the newly formed trichomes.

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

I see a lot of foxtail bc i push nitrogen through flower( I thought this is why I have it--could be wrong). I like to wait for the foxtail to mature bc there will be more amber in the end. I like the couch lock. However, I dont think that is what most people want(?). Hence, my decision to harvest now. Those plants are fading.
Storz how do you like this website compared to grasscity ? So much more traffic here . I wonder if anybody else followed us .

Eledin

Eledin

Personally, I check the middle flowers. When I'm happy with THEIR ratio then I chop. The top matures a lot faster than rest of the flowers.
Good advice. A few days of darkness help with that aswell but sometimes, if I feel like my strain can take it like the one I have now, I cut the tops and leave the rest to mature for longer. I think thats not suposed to happen as much with high Wattage LEDs, but it definetely happens a lot if youre using 100-200W panels close to the flowers instead of a big one with high Wattage for all the tent from a higher distance. The higher ppfd chart will get more green light to penetrate all the plant better. With HPS it wasnt as much of an issue as it is with LED but HPS is a thing of the past for many reasons.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Good advice. A few days of darkness help with that aswell but sometimes, if I feel like my strain can take it like the one I have now, I cut the tops and leave the rest to mature for longer. I think thats not suposed to happen as much with high Wattage LEDs, but it definetely happens a lot if youre using 100-200W panels close to the flowers instead of a big one with high Wattage for all the tent from a higher distance. The higher ppfd chart will get more green light to penetrate all the plant better. With HPS it wasnt as much of an issue as it is with LED but HPS is a thing of the past for many reasons.
Not so true
Many still use hids
Think Gnick does for one 😉

Eledin

Eledin

Not so true
Many still use hids
Think Gnick does for one 😉
Fair enough but I dont think theyre good enough compared to LEDs and I dont know many people that still use them unless its a big operation, but thats just my experience. The spectrum you can get with a LED is much better, that doesnt mean that you will automatically get better weed just by using LED, the most importante thing is being an experienced grower. Also if you want a LED that will not have the problem of maturing the top half first you need to pay a lot of money... that said Im way happier with my two 130W LED panels than I was with 2 300W hps bulbs, going back would be cheap but I honestly dont want to. I get way more trichomes hence potency and taste this way, I dont mind the smaller buds taking longer or going to the hash bin. Again, this is just my experience, I dont know everything and Im willing to be educated.

Eledin

Eledin

Here, check this out https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/crystal-candy-fem-scrog.155512/?post=3045143#post-3045143
Thats my last SCROG, x2 130W LED panels, full spectrum with 395nm, 660nm and 730nm. The UV seems to help a tiny bit with trichomes but nothing conclusive, the sun has it tho. But the far red and infrared chips I think go a long way plus the spectrum in general is more balanced and more similar to the sun, you can search wavelenghts in google images.

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

Here, check this out https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/crystal-candy-fem-scrog.155512/?post=3045143#post-3045143
Thats my last SCROG, x2 130W LED panels, full spectrum with 395nm, 660nm and 730nm. The UV seems to help a tiny bit with trichomes but nothing conclusive, the sun has it tho. But the far red and infrared chips I think go a long way plus the spectrum in general is more balanced and more similar to the sun, you can search wavelenghts in google images.
Amber and you are almost there. Cut all nutrients and flush them

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
i use leds nowadays and tbh if it wasn’t for the less heat from them I’d happily go back to hids.

I don’t think leds Spectrum are better with there one fits all

You get different grow patterns from mh than you do hps

The leds are a mix of both unless you get a switchable one.

Feel free to correct me
It’s not going to hurt my feelings
Like yourself i don’t know everything and it’s all about learning 👍😋

Eledin

Eledin

i use leds nowadays and tbh if it wasn’t for the less heat from them I’d happily go back to hids.

Feel free to correct me
HID lacks blue, cyan and green compared to a full spectrum LED. Most of them also lack IR when compared with LEDs that have IR chips. HPS gives UV and IR, dont get me wrong, they give the same colours just not in the same ammount and the LED wavelenght (from a good LED, blurples dont count). In other words, if you have a graphic with the wavelenght of the sun and a graphic with the wavelenght of what part of that light the plants use, LEDs are the ones that match that spectrum with more accuracy, meaning its more like sunlight. Cyan is very important for flowering, Ive seen some LEDs that have cyan diodes even, but I wouldnt go that far, it gives plenty with warm and cold white. If you wanna find out more just go to google images and compare the wavelenghts of various HPS vs full spectrum LEDs vs the sun.

S

storz

Feel free to correct me
HPS finished product, in general, has better bag appeal and a little less larf is produced. Just my 2 centavos which isnt worth much.

Eledin

Eledin

HPS finished product, in general, has better bag appeal and a little less larf is produced. Just my 2 centavos which isnt worth much.
Any input is appreciated, we can only experience so much as 1 person, even with years of experience. I think they both have their pros and cons, the more even maturity of the plant can be fixed with a more potent LED from further away, thats what would give more similar results to HID but with way more energy efficiency. Then again, those LEDs can reach prices of more than 1k... so I see why some people still use HPS. But I think that spending 600 euros (I can only speak from the prices I see here in Spain) you can start to get a way more even maturity in the plants. Maybe its just me but I find that LEDs make for better tasting buds, or maybe its just that the heat was affecting my buds. In terms of yield theyre pretty even, HPS giving more than mid and low range LEDs if you cut the whole plant at once because of the lower buds being bigger.
EDIT: Actually with low-mid range LEDs even if you only cut the top part of the plant and let the bottom ripe more youre still gonna get smaller buds even if fully mature now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Dang it, I cant edit my previous post now. Another way of solving that problem is keeping the plants short and do a SCROG. 3 nodes max then toping, keeping the light close so they barely stretch and then passing all the branches through the net so the plant grows horizontally, or tying it down like many people do. With HID the plant will stretch more because it has less blue and with low power LEDs will happen too if you dont put them very close (which can be a problem in summer) or if they dont have cool white diodes. You can also cut the future popcorn buds, they wont start growing any more popcorn buds after week 3 of flower.

Top Bottom