Are these Trichomes ready yet?

• Thread starter Hooolian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hooolian

Hey all - so I have 6 White Widow X Big Bud about to start week six of flower - only about 10% of the pistols are brown and the trichomes are quite cloudy though. how long do you reckon it should stay in flower before harvest?

pics are of the biggest cola - all six are covered in "frost" - havent grown this strain before.

IMG 1869
IMG 1912
WarnAbrotherzGardenZ

WarnAbrotherzGardenZ

Had a similar looking head on some Shorline from devil's harvest seeds a while back now...
Got a couple weeks left there buddy wait for al least 70% Brown hairs.

H

hawkman

remember once you decide to harvest you must consider your 2 week flush(if you flush) - trichomes trun amber at the rate of 5% per week once ripping starts. your plant look very frosty - also harvest is a personal thing, the more milky the highest thc level the more amber (plant starting to decay) the richer and more CBD's less thc levels

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Never go by pistols only trichomes as soon as you see 50% clear 50% cloudy start your 2 week flush on the photo I don't see any sign of cloudy

growsince79

growsince79

Never go by pistols only trichomes as soon as you see 50% clear 50% cloudy start your 2 week flush on the photo I don't see any sign of cloudy
I think 2 week flush is not only unnecessary, it will decrease yield. Starving the plant when it's still growing ain't my style. I don't want to see yellow sugar leaves either. I wait until they stop growing then plain water for 5-7 days.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

I think 2 week flush is not only unnecessary, it will decrease yield. Starving the plant when it's still growing ain't my style. I don't want to see yellow sugar leaves either. I wait until they stop growing then plain water for 5-7 days.
Well I don't like your style lol.....The 2 weeks will not only help with a clean smoke but stress the plant and trigger it to produce more resin production its like watering with cold water during the 2 weeks you should try it👍and I doubt you will see anything to cry over in yeild

growsince79

growsince79

Well I don't like your style lol.....The 2 weeks will not only help with a clean smoke but stress the plant and trigger it to produce more resin production its like watering with cold water during the 2 weeks you should try it👍and I doubt you will see anything to cry over in yeild
Everyone has their own way. I've been growing over 40 years, I've tried lots of things. I find I get better buds by feeding my way. The plant needs nutes to make resin and terps. If I flush 2 weeks before harvest, my buds go yellow too soon and makes an inferior tasting smoke.

Observationist

Observationist

Doc Bruce basically said this was bullshit, and it’s just bro science.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Most organic growers don't flush because they don't have too much excess nutrients. On the other hand semi- synthetic growers like me push there plants to what that genetic and pheno could handle and back off to get the most out of there plants so of course there's excess nutrients. Dr.bruce never specified about a study just he spoke with a few growers they worked along side with and they didn't see a big difference in "flushing at all".....soiless and inhert mediums don't require much maybe 3-7 days flush. Every plant,regiment, medium requires a different care as long as we get to the finish line together and satisfied 🤗

B

BoboGrower0813

3-4 weeks til ripe.

Those trichs are zero% cloudy.

Have fun trimming that sasquatch.
Ready to harvest first home grown. Hoping to hit the sweet spot. Could use some advice.

I am pretty much shooting in the dark as this is my first experience growing. My 2 plants are in a greenhouse in a New York winter, and I do not know the varieties as the seeds were given to me.

Seedlings popped on September 18, vegged 10 weeks until November 26 when I flipped to 12/12.

Sex pronounced on December 5, they stopped there stretch on December 13, and they have been in flowering stage now for 5 weeks, or 6 weeks if you count from 12/12 flip.

The buds are frosty with trikes, sticky and smelly. White hairs are starting to shrivel up and turn orange brown. Could they be getting close to peak harvest time already?

82CBA09F 5B0B 4E93 9D4B 807D2A2D97B9
Pinched off a sample bud and crudely quick dried it under a light bulb with a fan. Smoked up very smooth, was strong and trippy.

67AD333B 5B93 4A73 8B4D FE823DB69AD0

346EC229 0D87 47B3 B502 1494DEC19B90

I know affects will change as bud ripens, from low resin and THC levels with trippy effects, to perfectly ripe with max THC and affects typical of the strain, and then on to overripe with THC degrading into CBD and becoming more stony in effect.

Question:
Can I/should I harvest some now, some in a week, and the rest sometime later, covering all bases, or should I go for the home run and try to catch it at its peak?

Question:
The buds on various parts of the plant are in different stages of development. If I take off the top, or apical cola, which is most farthest along to maturity, how will that affect the secondary buds growing down below on the stem?
Will the plant suffer or going to stress if I cherry pick harvesting the buds?

I bought one of those wireless digital microscopes, but it is still very difficult to detect any changes in the trikes. I am still learning how to use it and not very good at it. These pics are pathetic, but hope they are some help.
EB1984D6 630E 4701 9D73 CAA92CABE8FD

C4CF10C7 F432 4055 AF2D 818FAF06580F

I recently installed some supplemental UV lighting and I am slowly ramping it up to help resin and THC production.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

growsince79

growsince79

Ready to harvest first home grown. Hoping to hit the sweet spot. Could use some advice.

I am pretty much shooting in the dark as this is my first experience growing. My 2 plants are in a greenhouse in a New York winter, and I do not know the varieties as the seeds were given to me.

Seedlings popped on September 18, vegged 10 weeks until November 26 when I flipped to 12/12.

Sex pronounced on December 5, they stopped there stretch on December 13, and they have been in flowering stage now for 5 weeks, or 6 weeks if you count from 12/12 flip.

The buds are frosty with trikes, sticky and smelly. White hairs are starting to shrivel up and turn orange brown. Could they be getting close to peak harvest time already?

View attachment 1204509Pinched off a sample bud and crudely quick dried it under a light bulb with a fan. Smoked up very smooth, was strong and trippy.

View attachment 1204518

View attachment 1204519

I know affects will change as bud ripens, from low resin and THC levels with trippy effects, to perfectly ripe with max THC and affects typical of the strain, and then on to overripe with THC degrading into CBD and becoming more stony in effect.

Question:
Can I/should I harvest some now, some in a week, and the rest sometime later, covering all bases, or should I go for the home run and try to catch it at its peak?

Question:
The buds on various parts of the plant are in different stages of development. If I take off the top, or apical cola, which is most farthest along to maturity, how will that affect the secondary buds growing down below on the stem?
Will the plant suffer or going to stress if I cherry pick harvesting the buds?

I bought one of those wireless digital microscopes, but it is still very difficult to detect any changes in the trikes. I am still learning how to use it and not very good at it. These pics are pathetic, but hope they are some help.
View attachment 1204523
View attachment 1204524

I recently installed some supplemental UV lighting and I am slowly ramping it up to help resin and THC production.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
you got at least 2 weeks left

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

AlfaDog spittin bro science like it’s fact. Are you talking about flushing the medium or watering your plant with only plain water? There is a distinct difference between the two notions.

The fact of the matter is @growsince79 is absolutely correct, and his observations are proven and supported by multiple cannabis-specific university studies. These studies contain tissue analysis and end-user smoke reports.

You cannot flush a cannabis plant. It is an accumulator, and once something is in there all the water in Canada couldn’t flush it out. You also shouldn’t starve a cannabis plant in the late stages of flower, because it is actually performing it’s most complex function at the end of its life: ripening.

Tapering your feed way down the last two weeks is the best solution (proven by lab-source experiments and resulting tissue samples, not my opinion). Using colder water to feed near the end helps the ripening process by signaling a change in metabolism for the roots.

NEVER flush your medium at the end of a grow. It will confuse your roots and starve them of oxygen at a crucial point in the grow. If you want to go water-only the last week or so because that’s what some old-head told you to do in the 90’s, that’s not a bad compromise or practice. Just be aware that a lot of stuff we debate here has been studied in a controlled environment with published results.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

AlfaDog spittin bro science like it’s fact. Are you talking about flushing the medium or watering your plant with only plain water? There is a distinct difference between the two notions.

The fact of the matter is @growsince79 is absolutely correct, and his observations are proven and supported by multiple cannabis-specific university studies. These studies contain tissue analysis and end-user smoke reports.

You cannot flush a cannabis plant. It is an accumulator, and once something is in there all the water in Canada couldn’t flush it out. You also shouldn’t starve a cannabis plant in the late stages of flower, because it is actually performing it’s most complex function at the end of its life: ripening.

Tapering your feed way down the last two weeks is the best solution (proven by lab-source experiments and resulting tissue samples, not my opinion). Using colder water to feed near the end helps the ripening process by signaling a change in metabolism for the roots.

NEVER flush your medium at the end of a grow. It will confuse your roots and starve them of oxygen at a crucial point in the grow. If you want to go water-only the last week or so because that’s what some old-head told you to do in the 90’s, that’s not a bad compromise or practice. Just be aware that a lot of stuff we debate here has been studied in a controlled environment with published results.
Wow that was alot to read lol never heard " flushing plant will Confuse roots and starve them of oxygen" 🙄 if there is anything you can share with us such as articles or links supporting all those statements would be interesting to share with my "old head friend"

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

And to answer your question about watering or flushing I should have been more specific but didn't get a chance too busy dreaming about unicorns I recommend and I practice myself 1 week watering plain water with 10% runoff so the plant could feed whats left in the soil and the last week straight flush hope this is up to standard with your practices professor

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Doc Bruce basically said this was bullshit, and it’s just bro science.
He didn't really.. he actually said that he doesn't see any science to support it, but then immediately afterwards admitted that nutrients are stored in vacuoles within the plant and that feeding only water at the end could help to deplete those stored nutrients.

I like to follow actual science as much as anyone but I will never feed a plant right to the end ever again. Done it several times because I kept hearing it makes no difference and science has proven it. Bullshit. I ruined 3 crops at least trying to disprove myself by feeding low dose nutes right to the end. Ended up with pounds of weed that wouldn't burn properly in a joint. Fine if you're a bong or pipe smoker. Useless garbage for folks like me that burn joints in slow burning papers and don't want it to burn out every other toke.

I want to deplete the stored nutrients from the plant at the end, and the only way in my mind to do that is with a week or so of plain water feedings to first deplete what's in the media, and ultimately deplete what is stored within the plant. In fact I'm even going back to the idea that utilizing an isotonic solution at the end to properly remove stored nutrients from plant vacuoles is the ultimate path to a clean and smooth burning end product.

Top Bottom