Are these under or over watered?

• Thread starter GardenWeasel77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

These plants were transplantes on the 6th. They were watered in their cups prior to transplant and again with about 1/2 cup of water. They were watered again on the 8th with 3/4 cup of water each. The plants have been droopy since transplanting but seem to be getting a little worse as of this morning.

I misted the plants this morning in case they were under watered but did not water them this morning. Kinda tried to hedge my bet by misting the leaves.

A link to my grow journal can be found here:

Are these under or over watered
Are these under or over watered 2
Are these under or over watered 3
Are these under or over watered 4
Are these under or over watered 5
Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Let the bags dry out before watering again - overwatering really is watering to often , sounds like that’s what ur doin , also u are going to want water the whole bag a 1/2 cup isn’t enuff.

good wet dry cycle is key to any soil grow
@Aqua Man has a great thread on watering I’ll see if I can find it

Moshmen

Moshmen

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Let the bags dry out before watering again - overwatering really is watering to often , sounds like that’s what ur doin , also u are going to want water the whole bag a 1/2 cup isn’t enuff.

good wet dry cycle is key to any soil grow
@Aqua Man has a great thread on watering I’ll see if I can find it

Moshmen

Moshmen

GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

Sorry for all the typos I wrote to fast. Anyways. I've been getting some mixed info. On Reddit the overwhelming consensus has been that I under watered.

When I transplanted I did not soak my grow medium, rather transplanted and then watered with 3/4 of water.

Just to be clear I have never soaked down the media. I've given them light watering evey two days.

Anyways, should I water today or give it another day.

The plants seem to be worse today than they were yesterday and I haven't watered since the 8th.

Ponky

Ponky

Sorry for all the typos I wrote to fast. Anyways. I've been getting some mixed info. On Reddit the overwhelming consensus has been that I under watered.

When I transplanted I did not soak my grow medium, rather transplanted and then watered with 3/4 of water.

Just to be clear I have never soaked down the media. I've given them light watering evey two days.

The plants seem to be worse today than they were yesterday and I haven't watered since the 8th.
Water like you would if you worked in a greenhouse. Fully saturate. Wait until it is dry enough. Fully saturate. Never spot water. To keep your media draining well add perlite.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Dude you are overwatering/ just plain doin it wrong IMO things will only get worse if you don’t change your habits -

growsince79

growsince79

Overwatered and underwatered all at the same time. The overwatered root ball can't grow into the dry soil.

GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

Dude you are overwatering/ just plain doin it wrong IMO things will only get worse if you don’t change your habits -

Im watering evey 2 days... I thought that was the rule of thumb.. and when I do water water less than a cup.

Can you please explain why you are so sure I am over and not under watering.

I'm just confused because I have been very conservative with my waterings so far.

Jakecan

Jakecan

Im watering evey 2 days... I thought that was the rule of thumb.. and when I do water water less than a cup.

I'm just confused because I have been very conservative with my waterings so far.
I feel you are over watering as even though it's half a cup and a third cup it probably was only to where to roots had just been transplanted. Transplanted on the 6th and watered and then watered again on the 8th the plant was probably still recovering from the transplant and didn't take on much water and then more was introduced before it could fully start taking on water. Usually after a transplant I don't need to fully saturate again for 5 days depending on how big the plant was when I transplanted. I use to just water around the roots when transplanted and my plant would droop after a couple days, until I learned some knowledge from this forum.

Ponky

Ponky

There is now water every other day rule. You water once the medium reaches a consistent level or dryness. And then fully saturate. Or you kill the roots. If you water soil that is dry on top and wet still you're killing the plant. There are probes. If you spot water you get dry dead spots. You need your media properly watered from day one and you really can't afford to water it before its ready. It kills it.

GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

There is now water every other day rule. You water once the medium reaches a consistent level or dryness. And then fully saturate. Or you kill the roots. If you water soil that is dry on top and wet still you're killing the plant. There are probes. If you spot water you get dry dead spots. You need your media properly watered from day one and you really can't afford to water it before its ready. It kills it.
Can you recommend a probe I can please?

2Bad

2Bad

Underwatered plants can come back..overwatered most likely won't. Always underwater. Always fully saturate and wait until dry. What is the medium? I must of missed it

GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

Underwatered plants can come back..overwatered most likely won't. Always underwater. Always fully saturate and wait until dry. What is the medium? I must of missed it
I just watered them again... really saturated the soil this time. Won't water again until bone dry.

I'm using fox farm happy frog soil with added perlite, worm castings, and dolomite lime.

Last edited:
Jakecan

Jakecan

Another tactic I like to use is just by feel. It takes a bit to learn the feel of your pot and their weights but if you do it enough it becomes second nature. Now that you've fully saturated it lift the pot and see how heavy it feels. Next time you go to water it should be easy to lift the pot.

Top Bottom