Are they starting to flower?

• Thread starter memnoch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eledin

Eledin

Hi, that is not right, autos can obviously also be regular, i am actually growing a few regular autos outside.

Most autos start flowering after 3-4 weeks, thats why they are usually so small...
I have never seen an auto regular in my life hahaha you just blew my mind, I didnt even know they existed. My autos take longer than 4 weeks to flower usually, more like 6 and 8-9 to finish, what pot size do you use? I use a slightly bigger pot than recommended by the seed banks I buy from, 5 gallons, maybe thats why? Ive grown my fair ammount of autos and very rarely have they flowered after just 1 month, in fact Im about to post my next run which is Skywalker OG Runtz XL auto from sweet seeds and theyre already 1 month old and no signs of sex yet.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
they are supposed to be. but every time i tell someone were i got them, they freak out on me. saying they are no good or i should have got them from somewhere else. I got them from seedbank. it's just called seedbank nothing else in the name. they plants have been healthy for the most part. I gave some to a friend as well and his are finally growing now that he has some decent lighting on them. out of the 6 total only 1 did not sprout so I'm pretty happy with seedbank as long as they are really feminized and what i paid for.
Seedbank.....interesting. They appear to have only 3 varieties of regular/photoperiod seeds. A little pricey, and the pictures are a little staged. There are a lot of seeds sites/sellers, including people who trade and sell their own. Just like with beer, there's a lot of average, commercial sellers (Bud, Coors...), and some that truly have high quality genetics. The proof is in the pudding so you'll see what your results are, but if you keep looking you'll find plenty of top tier genetics, breeders.....

So if you bought Feminized Autos, they should all be female autos. If you end up with a male or more than one, that's a quality control issue. I do regular/photoperiod seeds only, but that's what I want. There are people here that do quite well with autos and can guide you to success. And you'll get some tips on good seeds sources too.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I agree, 9,5 weeks seems about right for autos and even on the late side as Harpua said. All autoflowers are feminized, thats why they are called autoflower, they flower automatically, flowers are buds not polen sacks, but being a first timer I can understand you not knowing that. Dont worry theyre female, if anything check during late flower for polen sacks or bananas inside the buds (theyre called bananas cause they are yellow and banana shaped), they can herm but they cant be male. They will only herm if they feel like theyre getting towards the end of their life wether because theyre sick or stressed, it doesnt happen just because most of the times (It can indeed be genetic but good seed banks avoid those genetic traits more than cheap seed vendors or bad seed banks). If a seed bank doesnt care about putting hermy seeds in their badges then youre very likely to find an herm in your grow, hermie seeds are 50% more likely to herm.
I don't really care ;) but you'd think there would be photoperiod autos? Technically they're just something x ruderalis. Someone might want to make more auto seeds for themselves. They could of course be variable if they're not stable, that could be unwanted, or maybe it would be fun for someone who wanted to work with/breed autos.

That person is not me. ;)

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Actually Im not sure if male polen sacks are also called flowers, never really thought about it and most people dont so I dont know, but what I said is still true.
Pollen sacks are not flowers, but male plants do flower. That's what I found so far from doing some searching. I didn't find much about male plant anatomy, which is not a surprise. The image below shows the male flower.

R.d392f9153884f223e20a0809bf7d214f

memnoch

memnoch

Pollen sacks are not flowers, but male plants do flower. That's what I found so far from doing some searching. I didn't find much about male plant anatomy, which is not a surprise. The image below shows the male flower.

R.d392f9153884f223e20a0809bf7d214f
Good picture too go off of. Ty

Eledin

Eledin

I don't really care ;) but you'd think there would be photoperiod autos? Technically they're just something x ruderalis. Someone might want to make more auto seeds for themselves. They could of course be variable if they're not stable, that could be unwanted, or maybe it would be fun for someone who wanted to work with/breed autos.

That person is not me. ;)
With photoperiod autos you mean the F1 versions? I got a bit lost not gonna lie. I didnt even know there were male autoflowers but now that I think about it makes sense, I just never saw a bank selling regular auto seeds. Most auto breeds nowadays have like 3-5% of ruderalis cause theyre 6th gen or higher, but yes you are right.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
With photoperiod autos you mean the F1 versions? I got a bit lost not gonna lie. I didnt even know there were male autoflowers but now that I think about it makes sense, I just never saw a bank selling regular auto seeds. Most auto breeds nowadays have like 3-5% of ruderalis cause theyre 6th gen or higher, but yes you are right.
Sure, but they don't have to be F1s. And it could be that the vast majority of autos are also feminized.......you might have to hunt down "regular" m/f autos. The results of those seeds will be in line with however the breeder produced the seeds you bought.

Yeah I see....I used the wrong language, I didn't mean photoperiod autos, that's contradictory. I meant "non-feminized" autos.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Consider yourself lucky that your autos vegged long enough to get some size.
I stopped growing autos, mainly because they would start flowering around week 5…some even earlier. I felt like I was playing “beat the clock”……and one little mistake or setback meant you’d have a very small plant in full flower.
So waiting until week 9 to start is a desireable trait….to me anyway.

Eledin

Eledin

Sure, but they don't have to be F1s. And it could be that the vast majority of autos are also feminized.......you might have to hunt down "regular" m/f autos. The results of those seeds will be in line with however the breeder produced the seeds you bought.

Yeah I see....I used the wrong language, I didn't mean photoperiod autos, that's contradictory. I meant "non-feminized" autos.
Ah okay, gotcha.

Eledin

Eledin

Consider yourself lucky that your autos vegged long enough to get some size.
I stopped growing autos, mainly because they would start flowering around week 5…some even earlier. I felt like I was playing “beat the clock”……and one little mistake or setback meant you’d have a very small plant in full flower.
So waiting until week 9 to start is a desireable trait….to me anyway.
Yes, bigger auto strains take longer. I spent 4,5 month with two toped matanuska auto (the average time from germination to harvest was 3 months), training them also delays the total harvest time which kinda kills the purpose... I dont train them, I just toped those 2 matanuskas because I only had two plants and I wanted to harvest more because my stash was getting empty but after this run Im going back to photos. Autos still have a place outdoors and in small indoors or low wattage indoors, I have a 56W cardboard indoor with blueberry autos, small, quick and fairly resillient.

Top Bottom