Are you a breeder, a true one?

• Thread starter Satica
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Satica

Imagine you are a breeder. You want to make a point in Cannabis industry by introducing a new strain. It is not an easy task.

You need to cover lots of areas to have a decent strain. Areas like Potency, Yield, Taste, structure, stability, ease of growth. Yes, it is a huge task as I said.

In the beginning it may look like a mathematic calculation or as simple as following Mendelian genetic inheritance law .A Short, high yielder medium potency father and a tall low yielder, high potency mother theoretically should lead to a medium yield, medium tall, medium potency strain. But in reality nothing is that clean cut.Not at all.

Suddenly you find yourself with myriad of choices from your F1 generation that almost none of them carry the exact genetic you were trying to create.

So you begin the pain taking process of backcrossing with one or both of the parents. It takes time and effort and investment. It is like a little version of bringing up children.

Here is the part of the process that differentiate True breeders from others .Others do not bother themselves to commit to the stabilizing process .They just release their seed in the first time possible .
Maybe money is a deciding factor for this sometimes premature releases.We all know they have expences to cover.
I don’t want to condemn this type of breeding but it does not add anything specific to cannabis industry other than some occasional hermaphrodite and some frustration for the growers that were unlucky enough to put their trust and money and time in a genetic that is not predictable.

I have seen some brilliant strains in some of these breeders collection but There is no consistency and you need to be lucky and experienced enough to find the gem among some mediocre plants.

But I am talking about true breeders; dedicated ones that accept the challenge of stabilizing and improving their strains and resist early releases. They invest their time, money and even their soul in their genetics.
It has taken years of practice and tons of dedication (and failures also) and love to bring a flawless strain to the world.

And one day you find yourself ready to share your strain with others. Years of dedication is about to pay off.
Just you need to find a name for your gem and every thing is done.
Lets say you name it AK-47 or Jack Herer(interestingly enough You have chosen a legend’s name for your plant and not your name) .

Just right know please put your feet in the breeders shoes and imagine what would you feel when one day you wake up and find somebody else or some competitor has bought some of your seeds and in a few month they are releasing your strain in another name (lets say they are funny people and they have changed your Ak-47 to something like AK-37 or Your beloved Jack Herer to Jacky Fernandez .

And all they have contributed to your strain is buying just one pack of your seed. Period.

Put your feet there and tell me what you think about this common problem we are facing in cannabis industry.

Yours

Satica

C

CAPO

Yes Satica, I know what your getting at. You admire persons of breeding character, such as people like Shantibaba and Howard Marks who own a huge breeding facility. They spend years producing stable strains that express selected traits. Breeding is an art form, but it has many different levels such as Growing has.
It's nice to know you can spend your money on stable proven genetics that are viable and have vigor. The problem arises when those genetics are hard to obtain with the world's prohibition laws. Meaning, send your hard earned money over seas only to have customs confiscate your goodies. Which is a common occurrence from Canada to the US...BTW. This creates a market for knock off vendors who are more accessible to the masses.....reality.
It's the same reality we are about to see come to frution in a changing MMJ scene. As the laws becomes less fierce and tolerance for the use of MMJ goes up we are faced with a dilema of sorts. As a seed buyer, we have to weed through the sea of genetics to find a strain that suits us personally then we have to find a breeder who can deliver reliable beans. I feel that every breeder puts out a dud or a strain that doesn't jive with us personally. It happens with the best of breeders...

In my very honest opinion...we are about to experience an explosion of seed breeders in the US. It is simply a matter of the have and the have-nots helping each other out. If a breeders seeds are no good...people will catch on and hopefully tell others about their poor experience.

It should be well known, though, that breeding is an art form and can be handled by amateurs as well as pros...I would be ecstatic to germ seeds from a friend who did some private breeding without a doubt.

Blatant rip-off artists are no more better than lousy counterfeiters.Changing the name of an exact strain to make a profit is WRONG...shame on folks like this! Just keep the names and make sure it is a hybrid and I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever.

S

Satica

Thanks for your thoughtfull reply.

I am trying to find out that should we put a limit on imitations and respect other people work's before the end of MMJ prohobotion or not.

They are not doing something illegal at the moment but kind of immoral I think.

We customers can set up our own legal and moral regulations and then follow it .

Cheers

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

i asked DJ short this question.... to sum it up quick.... Experience and Intergrity is EVERYTHING.....
Some "Breeders" noticed a nitch and take advantage of it nothing wrong with that...
Some "Breeders" may have a completely different goal than others long or short f1's s1's or f6's....
The end product will speak any positive or indiscrepancies will surface and reflect the Integrity and Experience of that breeder for ever......

DJ said mislabeling and lying about strains to hide origins is NOT good breeding practices...

Where do you draw the line in giving credit...? All of todays strains were stepped on by somebody since the day they have been created.....

Very few breeders have spent time Hand Collecting strains with and end with a goal in mind!

i think its all small shit to a giant attitude that prevails ....

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i breed for the love of it. i release them whenever. but being this is illegal in most areas not all of us can pack up and move to Amsterdam were all these so called great breeders live. i think the way it is now with clones being so "the norm" and not many people only growing from seeds. why do i need my line perfectly stable? do i really need to take it to F6 before i release it? why cant i take it to f6 along the way or bx2, whatever i choose? when we only planted from seed i could see a grower bitching because his crop was all differnt. but now just pop 10-20 seeds find the plant you like clone it and make a mom. I'm not saying only take the easy way out for breeders, but just because a plant is an F1 cross doesn't make it shit. I myself have mad respect for the greats and i read everything i can they write. have you tried to grow and DJ short strains lately, or greenhouse?

to me this is the same thread over and over by none breeders that never put their cards on the table. its like people recite the same thing over and over because they think its the right thing to do.

S

Satica

if you see this kind of thread is Over and over ,maybe it is because there has never been a convincing argument about the Copyright in cannabis industry.It Does not change anything if I am a breeder or a custumer or an idiot, the question of ettic is still there Bro.

Yours

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
im rereading my post and i was not trying to go at you and if it came off harsh i apologize. I did not read the last paragraph of your 1st post. with the title and most of the post, i was sticking up for the pollen chucker in me.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Its creating a new interesting market. The thing is, if a company rips off a breeder, boards and sites like this one are the ground zero to get the word out...grow reports, etc. Only an educated consumer base can put a stop to this. Its like you can get the real deal iPhone from Apple, or you can pay for a cheap Chinese knock-off from eBay. Mislabeling strains is just bad business and bad breeding. That said, this industry has been in the shadows for years now, allowing those with enough balls to blatantly rip off the hard work of others with no Better Business Bureau or any regulating agency making a difference. I don't want to take this to the point where people will want to patent/copywrite/trademark their genetics, strain names, whatever, because I think this is also fundamentally wrong. I think we have to regulate ourselves, and an educated consumer will weed out the jokers...

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Breeding

I feel that breeding is breeding. You have your pro's DJ,Shanti,and a few others, then you have everyone else. The problem lies in the telling of the breeding. When someone lies it fucks everything up, lying about the genetics, your growing ability, Calling an f1 an f5 or f6 that screws everyone up. If the truth was told to the world or customers there would be no dissapointment with the seeds you receive. The customers would know what they are buying or being given before they were in the ground. I think it would greatly influence the prices being charged. King breeders prices would rise while joe breeders genetics would fall to their true value. Nowadays you can get 50.00 for any 10 seeds, breeder joe's seeds may only be worth 10.00. Anyways I feel it always gets back to honesty, a rare commodity

mal

S

Satica

It shows you are respectfull enough to reread your post and my answers and come closer to my point.tons of respect for your Bravery.

Cheers

S

Satica

Its creating a new interesting market. The thing is, if a company rips off a breeder, boards and sites like this one are the ground zero to get the word out...grow reports, etc. Only an educated consumer base can put a stop to this. Its like you can get the real deal iPhone from Apple, or you can pay for a cheap Chinese knock-off from eBay. Mislabeling strains is just bad business and bad breeding. That said, this industry has been in the shadows for years now, allowing those with enough balls to blatantly rip off the hard work of others with no Better Business Bureau or any regulating agency making a difference. I don't want to take this to the point where people will want to patent/copywrite/trademark their genetics, strain names, whatever, because I think this is also fundamentally wrong. I think we have to regulate ourselves, and an educated consumer will weed out the jokers...

====================================

I think we have to regulate ourselves, and an educated consumer will weed out the jokers...[/QUOTE]

Exactly, We need to regulate.But first let put some regulations in discussion:
Honesly, do you buy a real deal seed (for instance from Seroius seeds) when you have the option to pay half the price for some imitators?

isnt the time to talk about this self regulations and make it more public?

Yours

Top Bottom